[closed]Mike Rodak Probably Wants to Bury This

To be fair, the vast majority of his criticism was the character of the players who got in trouble on more than one occasion, and not their play on the field. The Bills were clearly satisfied after their vetting of the two players. But this article has been referenced several times already and it seems that people are using it to show he knows nothing about talent. But the article is very little about talent.

To be fair, the vast majority of his criticism was the character of the players who got in trouble on more than one occasion, and not their play on the field. The Bills were clearly satisfied after their vetting of the two players. But this article has been referenced several times already and it seems that people are using it to show he knows nothing about talent. But the article is very little about talent.

I was going to post something similar. Where Rodak was incredibly lazy lies in the fact he chose not to interview Whaley or any of the scouts to get more information on the background work the Bills did to clear both players on their board. And that's why he's a blogger and not a real reporter.

Proof of how much Rodak hates Buffalo pours from the very prose / structure of his writing. When negatively commenting on the team he heavily editorializes, use facts to set up pointed conclusions that often don't 100% track. When he has to write anything positive (like after the Miami game), he is 100% factual, quotes coaches etc, but rarely if ever offers any endorsement of their positive statements. It's subtle but apparent.

What they learned from the past helped make them better people in the present and hopefully even better going forward. None of us were all-american holier-than-thou boy scouts all our lives. They've moved on from that and so should we.

Rodak missed the mark with this one.

NEXT...

Buffalo is a town that hold their football players to the highest standard. Marshall, Dareus, McGahee, now Williams and Darby all have character concerns and Buffalo is too good a city to keep these type of players around. Meanwhile, other teams have no problem picking them up and help them win Superbowl. We should all clam down next time when one of the players did something stupid. These players are big guys but the are still just kids.

This board is ridiculous sometimes. Did anyone actually read the article? What could anyone possibly disagree with that was actually written? When Warren Sapp and Randy Moss fell in their respective drafts, were the Bucs and Vikings' beat reporters allowed to point out their character flaws? The article is fine. In fact, I learned something about both players from reading it. Tell me where Rodak says that he doesn't think either will be a good football player. I realize the vast majority of you are hell bent on picking on this Rodak guy but this is not a good example. We're three weeks into each players' career. What if next week one of them gets a DUI? Will you then come on here and praise the article?

What they learned from the past helped make them better people in the present and hopefully even better going forward. None of us were all-american holier-than-thou boy scouts all our lives. They've moved on from that and so should we.

Rodak missed the mark with this one.

NEXT...

I myself am neither a holier than thou boy scout, nor have I ever assaulted my pregnant girlfriend, nor witnessed an alleged rape, nor fled the scene of a drunk driving accident.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

This board is ridiculous sometimes. Did anyone actually read the article? What could anyone possibly disagree with that was actually written? When Warren Sapp and Randy Moss fell in their respective drafts, were the Bucs and Vikings' beat reporters allowed to point out their character flaws? The article is fine. In fact, I learned something about both players from reading it. Tell me where Rodak says that he doesn't think either will be a good football player. I realize the vast majority of you are hell bent on picking on this Rodak guy but this is not a good example. We're three weeks into each players' career. What if next week one of them gets a DUI? Will you then come on here and praise the article?

The funniest part is that most folks call Rodak lazy, then they prove they didn't read bother to read the article they're trashing.

Proof of how much Rodak hates Buffalo pours from the very prose / structure of his writing. When negatively commenting on the team he heavily editorializes, use facts to set up pointed conclusions that often don't 100% track. When he has to write anything positive (like after the Miami game), he is 100% factual, quotes coaches etc, but rarely if ever offers any endorsement of their positive statements. It's subtle but apparent.

This is a fair response. I would agree with this.

I myself am neither a holier than thou boy scout, nor have I ever assaulted my pregnant girlfriend, nor witnessed an alleged rape, nor fled the scene of a drunk driving accident.

That is some logic. If the two players have a flawless year and stay out of trouble is Mike going to print a retraction? No.

I was going to post something similar. Where Rodak was incredibly lazy lies in the fact he chose not to interview Whaley or any of the scouts to get more information on the background work the Bills did to clear both players on their board. And that's why he's a blogger and not a real reporter.

eball nails this.

Consider, Rodak writes:

There also are questions about how much homework the Bills did on Darby. He said he met with the Bills at the combine and "had a few words exchanged on pro day," adding, "That's about it, really." Combine interviews last 15 minutes, which hardly seems like enough time for the Bills to gauge Darby's character face-to-face. Darby said he didn't even meet coach Rex Ryan until arriving at the team's facility Saturday.

Rodak says there are questions about how much homework the Bills did, but he never asks the Bills those questions. Maybe DW and his scouts talked to Darby's coaches and the answers satisfied them. We just don't know and the hint that they didn't do sufficient homework is specious.

If you watch the accompanying video, Rodak clearly doesn't think Darby or Williams will contribute this year because the Bills don't need DBs or RBs. In other words, he criticizes those picks for more than just character reasons. And he's already wrong.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Retraction for what, everything he stated a year ago would still be true regardless of how much of a boy scout year they have.

And yes so far they've been good, but it doesn't change any of the facts in the article, other than maybe people can change, but I'd want ot give it way more than one year before I'd write that article.

So far al lthe questionable pickups have worked out. Darby, K Williams, Harvin, Richie I, and seems I'm leaving another out. Hopefully it will stay that way, Of al lof them the one I'd put the most fath in staying out of trouble would be Richie I

It's just laughable how everything that people here rip the Pats fans for doing, turn around and do the same. A preseason article from a writer stating the Bills will only win five games, he's an idiot. Someone else says we're going to the Super Bowl and he's a genius.

An on behalf of ESPN I'd like to thank the OP for bringing all this additional attention to this article. There sponsors also thank you.

That is some logic. If the two players have a flawless year and stay out of trouble is Mike going to print a retraction? No.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I wish I had $0.001 for every dollar The Bills spent on their Scouts and Private Investigators who run down every aspect of their potential draftees' shadowy history.

When I say, "Pizza", you say: "PARTY"!!!

Anyone - especially a "reporter" who thinks NFL teams don't THOROUGHLY vet all their potential draftees is probably wrong 90% of the time. I'm not saying all teams are that thorough, but most of them are.

I bet he wants this headline back more:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/162642/bills-must-turn-to-backup-plan-after-losing-josh-mccown-race

The conclusion is his real journalistic gem:

"Bills aren't going to find a quality starter at quarterback before next offseason, at the earliest."

Edited by DC Grid

I bet he wants this headline back more:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/162642/bills-must-turn-to-backup-plan-after-losing-josh-mccown-race

The conclusion is his real journalistic gem:

"Bills aren't going to find a quality starter at quarterback before next offseason, at the earliest."

EVERYONE had that opinion this offseason.

The QB position was a laughing stock up until the preseason games. If you blame Rodak for that, you can have a field day with the world class experts at WGR.

EVERYONE had that opinion this offseason.

The QB position was a laughing stock up until the preseason games. If you blame Rodak for that, you can have a field day with the world class experts at WGR.

Wrong, few if any outside of Rodak thought the Bills losing out on McCown doomed them. Many thought their QB situation was a mess but few were dumb enough to think McCown would be an improvement.

Wrong, few if any outside of Rodak thought the Bills losing out on McCown doomed them. Many thought their QB situation was a mess but few were dumb enough to think McCown would be an improvement.

Another guy who didn't read.

"If the pursuit from several NFL teams of free-agent quarterback Josh McCown could ever have been considered a sweepstakes, the Buffalo Bills have come out on the losing end.

McCown, 35, agreed to a three-year deal Friday with the Cleveland Browns, choosing Buffalo's neighbors on Lake Erie over the quarterback-needy Bills.

Plenty of Bills fans seem to be breathing a sigh of relief that McCown, a career backup who went 1-10 as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' starter last season, isn't the veteran the Bills ensured would arrive to compete with EJ Manuel. After all, McCown was an underwhelming option on what is a generally underwhelming quarterback market."

Tell me more about how Rodak thought McCown was this great big loss. All he says is that he was the Bills plan A (which he was) and now they need to go to their backup plan (which they did).

Groupthink hits hard.

Edited by FireChan

They are both contributing, but he was not wrong to bring up the fact that the off field issues should be a concern.

"I'm not sure the Bills got a whole lot out of this draft. 2nd Round Ronald Darby CB, the Bills don't really need a CB. A move they must have been thinking about a couple years down the road. Same thing in the 5th round, the Bills don't need a RB and probably not next year either. The Bills draft as a whole is not going to be an immediate impact."

This was from the video. Not one mention of the off field issues.

Hate Rodak as much as the next guy but I had no issue about this when it was written and I still don't. At the time no one was happy about Darby but he was a Bill and we stood behind him. Its 3 weeks in and who knows what will happen from now until January, just enjoy the ride.

[This is an automated response]<br /><br />This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread. <br /><br />Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics. <br /><br />Thank you.