Rex Ryan defense "soft as puppy s**t" against Patriots.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex explained his play calling for the D already... Why would you bring the house when Brady doesn't hold the ball long enough to get to him? F you bring more and get to him two or three more times, how much more would you give up??

It's hard to gauge how much would be gained by getting some hits on Brady. You can't always measure the effect of a punch in the face. I do know the Patriots were racking up ridiculous yards against the approach Ryan used in this game.

It's simple, Brady lest maybe Manning uses motion on almost every single play, and not just a single motion, he'll use multiple players in that hurry up offense of theirs. Rex didn't coach the defense IMO to adjust to this and try to confuse Brady, instead what I saw was confusion in the secondary, and outright tipping off the defense other times. Brady knew when he had mismatches with LB's (al la Bradam on Dobson), and where Safety help was coming from. Some of these All 22 writes ups I'm seeing the last two days are long on what happened in the play but short on details as to just how the play even became a play in Brady's mind pre snap.

Tim-

The defensive performance against the Colts wasn't nearly as dominant as it looked.

The Colts were severely overrated coming into the season with way too much being made of the Gore and AJ signings like they were getting the players from 5 years ago. And I said all this before the Colts were dominated by the Jets Monday night.

What pisses me off most is Rex showed absolutely no emotion on the sidelines absolutely zero. Marv would have been going nuts Rex accepted what was happening. After all that freaken talk he was a big puss. Lost all respect for the guy.

Didn't he get penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct?

I agree with the article. Ryan tried to change up his defensive scheme and it blew up in his face. I think the Patriots took their foot off the gas pedal in the fourth quarter on both defense and offense at 37-13 thinking they had the game well in hand. In a playoff scenario I could see the Patriots ending that game 50+ to 13.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that Ryan didn't trust his secondary to get the job done against Brady, and he must have thought that he couldn't get a rush on Brady quick enough to deter those 1.7 sec releases.

So instead of blitzing, and running the confusing alignments that the Bills used against the Colts. This game the Bills sometimes rushed only three D lineman, and had guys like Kyle Williams, Jerry Hughes dropping into coverage. This to me is insane as you never ask players to do something they are not designed to do. C'mon, Jerry Hughes covering Gronk is such a mismatch Belichick must have been beside himself laughing.

All Ryan needed to do was watch how the Chiefs demolished Brady, and the Patriots last year in week four. Brady is just like any other QB in that if you hit him enough he will get out of rhythm, and make mistakes.

In this game I was hoping Jerry Hughes would get a few personal fouls from late hits on Marsha, and that aint gonna happen when you are rushing only 3 or sometimes 4 D linemen being blocked by 4 or 5 O linemen. The Patriots knew they needed to help those three rookie O line players so they kept a TE, RB in to help block. Those Pats rookies were never really challenged all game from what I saw.

In this game I came away with a few thoughts. The Bills offensive line is in serious trouble if the Patriots can stack the box like they did and completely shut down the Bills offense. Incognito is a stud at LG, but that one position can't help enough when the rest of the line plays poorly. The Patriots defense is not very good and mostly benefited from good coaching, and a good scheme. Sadly Buffalo was out coached on both sides of the ball for a lot of this game.

This game I would have thought that Ryan, and his defense would have been licking their chops at the thought of getting to Brady thru the three rookies on that offensive line. I also thought Greg Roman would be testing that revamped Patriot secondary without Revis Island. That #4 overall defense from last season is now ranked 30th!

So very disappointing!

That's what I took from it too. I think I was more confused than mad

That's been my thing all along, how do we reconcile our week 1 play with our week 2 play? There's no logical connection.

Clearly we pressured Luck while we did not pressure Brady, but the thing is that everyone knows that if you want to limit the Pats in points then you must pressure Brady. Ryan knows that better than anyone, so hence the connundrum.

It was rookie coaching from Ryan. How does that happen. It almost comes across as if he was relying on the fans as the 12th-man to do the brunt of the work.

If the D had pressured Brady there's no question in my mind that we would have won. Our offense played well enough and would have gotten lots more help from the D, field position, etc.

This raises questions about Ryan. It sure took a lot of the wind out of my sails and it seems that it took a lot out of Jim Kelly's too.

The defensive performance against the Colts wasn't nearly as dominant as it looked.

Perhaps not, but you are overlooking the point, we pressured Luck, we hardly pressured Brady at all.

The strategies were diametrical. Why? If anything we should have pressured Brady even more, not less. Everyone knows that the way to beat the Pats is to pressure Brady and not give him all day to complete his throws.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Why, because he's good and devours Buffalo? Yes, he can get under your skin with his antics but he certainly isn't alone in the NFL.

There's nobody I hate more than that guy. He gets up in your face after a 5 yard gain. He needs to be shut up. Then when AW pushed him because he was in his face, he went to complain to the refs because he didn't get a call. What a piece of :censored:

I agree 100% with all that article. Rex talks it, time to walk it

i'm surprised by your response to this.

a couple nights back you posted the following link to my "Belichick's new monster" topic discussing the AR schemes Ryan had to prepare for -

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond

so i would think you'd understand how elementary Stephen White's analysis is.

How do you hit a guy who gets the ball out in less than 2 seconds?

You put guys up on the LOS to hit his passing targets and disrupt their timing, giving your pass rush an extra second to get to the QB.

The most disappointing thing to me about Rex's game plan was seeing the Pats' WRs and TEs get free releases off the line almost every single time. That's a virtual guarantee that the ball will be out quickly.

A close second in the "disappointing defensive game plan" category was the total lack of adjustment to covering Gronk. When you go into halftime knowing that you have to change your approach, and then on the first play of the 2nd half I see Nigel Bradham in 1-on-1 coverage against Gronk on a seam throw, it's an indication that something simply wasn't recognized.

How do you hit a guy who gets the ball out in less than 2 seconds?

Blitz constantly from everwhere. At least you throw his timing off. it's not like anyone was doing anything in coverage. Every play brady*** had multiple open targets. The whole defensive scheme reminded me of the stache. remember him?