Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

When does it stop? Are we going to get a Clay is over paid thread every week he doesn't have an impactful game when someone else does like Sammy? What about if we throw it all game and McCoy has to do very little? Or again when the rest of the team comes up big and Sammy is relatively quiet again?

This is a great team...and not everyone is going to show up big on the stat sheet every week. But this topic is being beaten to death already in week 1 despite a big statement win that was an all around great team game.

Again, this is the NFL, not fantasy football. So rather than pile on about how a WR got one look who missed most of preseason and camp with an injury, has no real timing or rapport yet with our QB, and plays on a run first team who just dominated one of the top teams in football...how about we just look at the VERY impressive week 1 outing and look forward to how much potential this team has to get even better as Taylor gets more experience, our other play makers get more involved, McCoy gets fully healthy, we get our D starters back, etc?

Just feels like there are people around here who will never be happy with this team no matter how great or dominant a win gets. Its only one week, this week will be an even bigger gauge, but I sure as hell loved what I saw in week 1.

Wins are great, and almost everyone is happy that we won. However, we aren't a perfect team, not will we ever be. Criticism is still valid even if the end result is good, because you can always be better.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of nonsense. Do you actually watch him? There's a reason he's consitently double teamed, often still demanding the best cb. Maybe you just don't like having lots of good skill players?

exactly. And Sammy is laying down some great blocks.

I think the more appropriate discussion should be - when will the coaches trust TT to make the tighter throws that a better covered Watkins will require?

The more I hear the coaches' explanation of the Sammy goose egg, the more they're admitting that the training wheels are still on TT.

And right now they're right. No reason to spring unforced errors on Tyrod when there are safer options that also lead to scores.

This is indeed working out like Russell Wilson's rookie season, except that Wilson didn't have as good of a supporting cast around him.

training wheels on TT are fine coming out of the gate. Big Ben had them as well when he went 15-1 his rookie year. People will always complain, but we were beating the Colts, a SB pick, 24-0. I'm not too worried. Our guys are making plays, and if we need to take the wheels off to pass more I'm sure we will. I don't expect it this week, BTW, because I expect that we will be able to run all over the Pats*** and control the clock. 14-7 Bills

I don't really have a take one way or the other on this. What I do believe is that the Bills / media need to stop giving Sammy top billing (his picture on the Bills website / promotional materials / non-stop hype) until he earns it, while guys like Marcel, Kyle, Stephon earn it week in and week out.

Somebody said stats don't lie.

Just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true. E.g.,:

Nixon: I am not a crook

Clinton: I did not have sex with that woman

Tranny: No thats not a wang, Jumbalaya, now come back to bed!

I keed but you get my point. Whats that saying about lies, damned lies and statistics?

Edited by Tenhigh

Somebody said stats don't lie. Sammy's stats suck for a #4 pick that cost 2 no 1's and a 4th. Guess half the board doesn't want to believe that.

His stats are Roscoe Parrish-like, not Eric Moulds-like.

I hope he kicks it in this week. If not, he's is just another guy with potential.

Somebody also said "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

And studies have shown that that's right about 85% of the time.

Let me get this straight...

1) Sammy gets open several times

2) TT doesn't choose to throw it to him

3) This is Sammy's fault

4) He was drafted too high

4A) This is also his fault

What am I missing, other than Fantasy Football is just stupid?

I work with a guy who wants the Bills to win, but somehow he has Edelman in his fantasy league. I don't think he will be upset if Edelman doesn't have a good game this week.

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

first of all lee evans did something neither of those guys ever did. come down with every single deep ball that hit his hands. He also never complained like a baby like reed did, or fumble nine times one season like reed.

but as for sammy, hes supposed to be fast, but rarely catches up to his deep balls, hasnt come down with a single 50/50 ball since joining the nfl, and often drops down faster than a bag of rocks when contact is imminent.

that being said he got 3 balls thrown at him sunday, thats not his fault, and its why you need a strong number 2 and 3, like oh by the way we have in woods and harvin, doesnt hurt to have clay either, and when defenses realize they cant cheat..... i expect watkins to dominate...Moulds style.

Edited by enlightener

Let me get this straight...

1) Sammy gets open several times

2) TT doesn't choose to throw it to him

3) This is Sammy's fault

4) He was drafted too high

4A) This is also his fault

What am I missing, other than Fantasy Football is just stupid?

I work with a guy who wants the Bills to win, but somehow he has Edelman in his fantasy league. I don't think he will be upset if Edelman doesn't have a good game this week.

5) OBJ

5a) His fault.

>>>>>“I’m his coach,” Lal said of Watkins. “I was very critical on the film” review. “He ran some very good routes and was open quite a bit. The lay person might say, ‘Oh, Vontae shut him down.’ Well, that’s not the case. Now their scheme was very good to not so much take him out of the game, but make it harder to throw over there. And when so much was open on the other side, we were like, ‘Why should we?’ Because our big thing with Rex and” offensive coordinator “Greg” Roman “is we want to play smart football, and smart football was just taking what they give us. But he ran some really good routes.<<<<<

Not enough attention is being paid to the above.

This may startle some but so be it: The Indy game might very well wind up being as important as the NE game on Sunday. We have no idea what NE will do this year. They could tank, or I hate to say it.....run the table. Tyrod is an inexperienced qb. The coaches made the right calls. I can tell because we won the football game against a highly ranked conference rival.

I am sure that the above quoted coach and Roman are well aware of egos, etc. and will address this down the road. Now, none of the fantasy nonsense matters. This team needs to keep up the effort and win football games. Bottom line?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will take that $25 at the Bills store? So 100 yards and 1 TD....win win for me, I have him on a few teams!

I don't know if this is terrible or not but I have no interest in bills store credit lol. What can $25 even buy me?

I am willing to bet though. If we did bet Bills store credit how would the transaction work? Feel free to pm if you would like.

Were you at the game? Or did you see this on the all 22? I think that is interesting

I was at the game and Sammy was open a lot and did have his hands up signaling he was open. Woods also had at least one sure touchdown where there wasn't a defender in the area and didn't even get looked at.

Somebody said stats don't lie. Sammy's stats suck for a #4 pick that cost 2 no 1's and a 4th. Guess half the board doesn't want to believe that.

His stats are Roscoe Parrish-like, not Eric Moulds-like.

I hope he kicks it in this week. If not, he's is just another guy with potential.

when did roscoe have 950+ yards? At the same point in their careers Sammy would have almost 4 times the yards moulds has. Troll much?

13 pages, and still going strong i see.

The biggest thing to me is the average fan wants to see that if their team uses a top 5 draft pick on a WR then they should expect a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson type player.

The Buffalo Bills not only used a #4 overall. They also used a #19 1st rounder, and a #114 4th rounder on Sammy Watkins, and its not unrealistic to think that fans want to see that explosive 100 yard, 1-2 TDs game WR every game.

Now that said, if the Bills had a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees type elite QB starting then we would see that production every game no question. Not only do the Bills not have that elite QB just yet. They are starting a kid who has had only one start in his NFL career, and he is still in the developmental process. That process may take a year or two.

Bottom line is Sammy isn't the problem, its the offense he is in, and the limited experience of his QB.

13 pages, and still going strong i see.

The biggest thing to me is the average fan wants to see that if their team uses a top 5 draft pick on a WR then they should expect a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson type player.

The Buffalo Bills not only used a #4 overall. They also used a #19 1st rounder, and a #114 4th rounder on Sammy Watkins, and its not unrealistic to think that fans want to see that explosive 100 yard, 1-2 TDs game WR every game.

Now that said, if the Bills had a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees type elite QB starting then we would see that production every game no question. Not only do the Bills not have that elite QB just yet. They are starting a kid who has had only one start in his NFL career, and he is still in the developmental process. That process may take a year or two.

Bottom line is Sammy isn't the problem, its the offense he is in, and the limited experience of his QB.

Ignoring draft position, I think plenty of us just believe he's that good.

If a team looks at him and Percy and puts the #1 corner and a safety towards Sammy and a #2 corner manned up on Percy, it seems to underscore coordinators agree that he is elite.

From here we will have to work to create opportunities to see him do what defensive coordinators are afraid of.

>>>>>“I’m his coach,” Lal said of Watkins. “I was very critical on the film” review. “He ran some very good routes and was open quite a bit. The lay person might say, ‘Oh, Vontae shut him down.’ Well, that’s not the case. Now their scheme was very good to not so much take him out of the game, but make it harder to throw over there. And when so much was open on the other side, we were like, ‘Why should we?’ Because our big thing with Rex and” offensive coordinator “Greg” Roman “is we want to play smart football, and smart football was just taking what they give us. But he ran some really good routes.<<<<<

Not enough attention is being paid to the above.

This may startle some but so be it: The Indy game might very well wind up being as important as the NE game on Sunday. We have no idea what NE will do this year. They could tank, or I hate to say it.....run the table. Tyrod is an inexperienced qb. The coaches made the right calls. I can tell because we won the football game against a highly ranked conference rival.

I am sure that the above quoted coach and Roman are well aware of egos, etc. and will address this down the road. Now, none of the fantasy nonsense matters. This team needs to keep up the effort and win football games. Bottom line?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This!

I have been saying this over and over, Bills and Taylor took what the D gave them rather than force the ball in tighter places. That was the CORRECT way to play it, and with so many talented weapons, its exactly what will happen all year. As I have said all off season, this team is loaded with offensive weapons and the D can't cover everyone. So, the offense can now take what the D gives them and the statistical leaders will be different every week.

I agree. And I think this was really the OPs point/frustration. We are all or all should be frustrated by Small Sammy's lack of use. It's just not clear to me who is to "blame" for that.

I do know that elite receivers like Antonio brown seem to catch 7-9 balls each game. Not sure why Sammy can't do that.

Edelman caught 11 last week. Not an elite receiver. Product of the system. Sammy needs to hold up his end, though we are only one game into the season. I have faith it will come. A lot has to do with gameplans vs. certain teams, also. If the Bills face a good pass defense, the philosophy will be to run the ball more. If the opponent has a better run defense, we will throw more. Its not like we have Aaron Rodgers distributing the ball, we still don't know what Tyrod brings consistently yet.