Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

I never said Sammy should have a 100% catch rate. And Welker is not a WR who is supposed to have a (using your placeholder numbers) greater than 25% chance on that ball. That's why he's a nobody compared to the guys who are around 50%. He's got a particular set of skills, but he's not an athletic, complete WR that can do that.

It was a big play that Sammy came up short on. It wasn't an easy catch. Those are not mutually exclusive.

Saying Welker is nobody based on how he is drafted is absurd. The draft has NO RELEVANCE OF ANY KIND once a player is drafted. Period. His draft status doesn't mean he wasn't an OUTSTANDING and HOF WR. So calling him nobody based on draft slot comparison is absurd.

Bottom line, its a very low percentage catch and I have seen Dez, Calvin, Fitz, AJ, Rice, Marvin, etc etc all not make that catch. Have they made that catch yes, but they have also missed that catch. It was a very difficult play and its NOT why we lost. We lost because of our penalties, poor OL and lack of defensive pressure. So I don't see the point in slamming Watkins over this.

And Watkins HAS made spectacular catches as a Bill too, so lets not act like he hasn't made plays

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying Welker is nobody based on how he is drafted is absurd. The draft has NO RELEVANCE OF ANY KIND once a player is drafted. Period. His draft status doesn't mean he wasn't an OUTSTANDING and HOF WR. So calling him nobody based on draft slot comparison is absurd.

Bottom line, its a very low percentage catch and I have seen Dez, Calvin, Fitz, AJ, Rice, Marvin, etc etc all not make that catch. Have they made that catch yes, but they have also missed that catch. It was a very difficult play and its NOT why we lost. We lost because of our penalties, poor OL and lack of defensive pressure. So I don't see the point in slamming Watkins over this.

And Watkins HAS made spectacular catches as a Bill too, so lets not act like he hasn't made plays

Spot on.

If you read my post, you'd know that's not what I said. I said that his draft position is indicative of his physical ability, which isn't close to other "great" WR's. Be better.

I also didn't say it's "why" we lost and I'm not slamming Watkins. Stop projecting.

Some of you are right: Antonio brown, Demaryious, Julio, Dez, OBJ, Calvin, Jordy always seem to catch at least 6 balls a game.

Who are the QBs throwing them the ball? Not Tyrod Taylor. Not Kyle Orton. Locked in and potential hall of fame QBs. Taylor shouldn't be forcing the ball into double coverage. If Sammy switched spots with any of those WRs he'd be getting those catches as well.

I don't think anyone here is doubting that it was a terrible throw. Let's try this another way. If Brown, Thomas, Dez, OBJ, Calvin and Jordy -- throw in A.J. Green -- go up for that same exact ball in that same exact coverage with the game on the line -- regardless of who throws it to them -- do they come down with it? To me, that's the argument. DannyFrigginAmendola came through HUGE for the Pats with a much more difficult catch (IMO). He had no business catching that ball, and he had it all the way -- It's not like he got lucky. The fact that Brady threw it is irrelevant unless you subscribe to the belief that receivers work harder for Brady because 1). he's Tom Brady and 2). they know he'll chew their a$$ out if they don't. (See Thompkins, Kenbrell). There might be something to that.

Another scenario: Let's say the Bills are up by 2 on their own 30 with 10 seconds left and Brady throws that exact pass. It goes right off Nikkel Robey's hands (in the exact manner it did for Sammy) and falls incomplete. The Pats kick the field goal to win the game. This forum would go absolutely berserk and Robey would be the Antichrist with far fewer posters giving him the benefit of the doubt that Sammy's getting.

Edited by Felonious Monk

I don't think anyone here is doubting that it was a terrible throw. Let's try this another way. If Brown, Thomas, Dez, OBJ, Calvin and Jordy -- throw in A.J. Green -- go up for that same exact ball in that same exact coverage with the game on the line -- regardless of who throws it to them -- do they come down with it? To me, that's the argument. DannyFrigginAmendola came through HUGE for the Pats with a much more difficult catch (IMO). He had no business catching that ball, and he had it all the way -- It's not like he got lucky. The fact that Brady threw it is irrelevant unless you subscribe to the belief that receivers work harder for Brady because 1). he's Tom Brady and 2). they know he'll chew their a$$ out if they don't. (See Thompkins, Kenbrell). There might be something to that.

Another scenario: Let's say the Bills are up by 2 on their own 30 with 10 seconds left and Brady throws that exact pass. It goes right off Nikkel Robey's hands (in the exact manner it did for Sammy) and falls incomplete. The Pats kick the field goal to win the game. This forum would go absolutely berserk and Robey would be the Antichrist with far fewer posters giving him the benefit of the doubt that Sammy's getting.

I agree, and like I said earlier — I think Robert Woods makes that catch if he's in that position and gets his hands on the ball like that. I mean, Mike Williams made that same catch against Chicago last year IIRC. It's a tough catch but when you can get both hands on it, as a top WR you have to come down with it, that's what makes you different from a Robey or any DB.

It's not Sammy the person's fault he has this much hype on him to expect improbable things, but when the team promises that kind of player with the kind of bet it took to get him, it's reasonable to expect those things. At this moment he isn't looking like Julio Jones or even a Lee Evans. It seems to me like he's not beyond questioning why Percy or Robert shouldn't rotate in more. I can't wait for him to prove that totally wrong and take the next step toward being consistently reliable but that's just how it is right now.

Sammy is a blocking WR. A blocker and a decoy. We traded up to 4th for a blocking decoy WR. And he does that stuff well, right?

But god forbid anyone question his holiness, Doug Whaley, for trading up for a blocking WR when we have no viable QB or offensive line.

Sammy is a blocking WR. A blocker and a decoy. We traded up to 4th for a blocking decoy WR. And he does that stuff well, right?

But god forbid anyone question his holiness, Doug Whaley, for trading up for a blocking WR when we have no viable QB or offensive line.

Whaley isn't above critiques. All GMs should be evaluated based on the talent they bring in. Just like anyone who defines Sammy Watkins as just a "blocking WR" should be evaluated by an optometrist. ;)

I think Watkins is a phenomenal talent and always supported Whaley in that trade. But he just seems like a passive personality to me. He doesn't play with the fire Woods and Harvin play with.

Where's the frustration from Watkins about barely getting any targets? How is he cool with OBJ being a superstar and getting 10 targets and 125+ yards every game and Mike Evans getting double digit TDs? Where the hell is his annoyance with his role? Why isn't he screaming for Tyrod to give the best receiver on the Bills the ball?

Sammy is fine. He clearly is an elite talent. He just has thoroughly mediocre guys throwing passes to him( or not throwing them) . Yes , amendola made a great catch , but it wasn't on a high throw ( probably) intended for someone else. It was vs tight coverage put in a place where only he would have a chance at it. TT' s pass was barely catchable by SW , and he was probably just trying to stop it from being picked off. How good do you thing SW would be if he was on the Pats, or Green Bay ? Or even on a team with just a good QB like the Bengals? Just not seeing Watkins as any kind of a problem on this team right now.

Having watched the end of the giants game today where eli manning threw 3 of those passes and no one came down with it (including obj), i feel safe in saying that the pass to watkins was the sort of pass that is almost never caught.

Having watched the end of the giants game today where eli manning threw 3 of those passes and no one came down with it (including obj), i feel safe in saying that the pass to watkins was the sort of pass that is almost never caught.

Didn't watch that game, but... three of those exact same passes? In one game?

Didn't watch that game, but... three of those exact same passes? In one game?

My bad - not exactly the same, of course, but poorly placed balls that were extremely difficult to catch and which weren't hauled in by receivers via circus catches. TT had time and protection on that throw, and he just has to be more accurate. He threw way too high three times yesterday, and they all resulted in picks.

My bad - not exactly the same, of course, but poorly placed balls that were extremely difficult to catch and which weren't hauled in by receivers via circus catches. TT had time and protection on that throw, and he just has to be more accurate. He threw way too high three times yesterday, and they all resulted in picks.

Do you think that has anything to do with his height?