Bills Release Bryce Brown

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People may lose it over this, but it shows that Fred wasn't let go to keep Bryce, he was let go to keep McCoy, Karlos Williams and Dixon. To me that's an easier pill to swallow as the first two should be obvious keepers ahead of Fred and Dixon provides good special teams value (which is what many of the cooler heads - not me- speculated all along.) Bryce it would seem, was merely kept for week one when the team was thin at RB and was the first on the chopping block to accommodate Dareus.

as a guy without 4 years, and with minimal salary, he ended up being as close to free insurance for a week as you can get(and if any backs got hurt around the league, potential trade bait for a late rounder). logistically, theres a lot that makes sense. if i had to pick 1 guy to cut today, it might not be him but its hard to fault the logic much.

I'd be surprised if they cut BB based solely on a pretty good first game by Williams. Maybe it was a personality thing? I could see Rex -- to a greater extent that almost any other coach -- sending guys packing if he doesn't get the right "vibe."

And isn't blue cheese dressing everyone's favorite condiment?

We're one hammy away from the RB corps being Boobie and a rookie.

That worries me.

had to make the move somewhere though. do you have a young guy youd prefer to cut? i feel the same but i dont think theres much in the way of an obvious spot that wouldve been better.

Gragg? one of the WRs (several contribute on special teams atleast)? with the secondary thin thats a tough spot to look. really, anywhere you could make the same comment that if number 1 goes down you are stuck with a questionable group of guys.

its possible its not just wood, but could also be an idea of who they would call on the street or another teams PS on short notice.

Edited by NoSaint

Thigpen can be used in the backfield if needed as well. Are folks really now upset that the guy they thought was kept over Freddy wasn't really all that much in the equation? Or are they upset that they thought Whaley wouldn't admit the trade for Brown didn't pan out?

Whaley is friggin' awesome. He has shown once again that his ego will not get in the way of trying to make the Bills better -- and in this case, "better" meant keeping another player on the 53 over a guy he liked and traded for but had clearly not seized his opportunity.

with karlos stepping up it was going to be a tough backfield for any depth. bryce couldve looked really solid and struggled to find a role here. i dont see a reason to give the guy a hard time. i feel like i missed him doing something to offend fans.

At the time of the trade it looked like a good move to nab a guy buried behind Shady, who had a few bright spots. But then we found out how Kelly fleeced Whaley. Brown was pedestrian in preseason, and couldn't crack the active roster. When he was handed the starting job because of injuries, he promptly lost that job to a guy who shouldn't be a feature back. Part of the reason that Freddie's numbers declined last year is that they rushed him back too soon because Brown was unreliable. Then he gets another chance to impress the new staff yet elects to sit out nearly all voluntary OTAs.

I hope that door wasn't too hard on that lazy rump on the way out.

had to make the move somewhere though. do you have a young guy youd prefer to cut? i feel the same but i dont think theres much in the way of an obvious spot that wouldve been better.

Gragg? one of the WRs (several contribute on special teams atleast)? with the secondary thin thats a tough spot to look. really, anywhere you could make the same comment that if number 1 goes down you are stuck with a questionable group of guys.

its possible its not just wood, but could also be an idea of who they would call on the street or another teams PS on short notice.

Yep. We have seen off-the-street RBs fill in for teams before just fine. Karlos looks legit, Boobie hasn't been terrible and is huge for special teams. If Brown doesn't play teams, he is not dressing barring injury and would need two RBs to go down before seeing substantial touches.

its gonna be the Pats*. At least for a week.

You know what would be an awesome counter cheat? To make a deal with Brown to release him in the hopes that the Pats**(**) pick him up and have him feed them all kinds of wrong info. Then resign him the week after when NE**(**) cuts him.

Yep. We have seen off-the-street RBs fill in for teams before just fine. Karlos looks legit, Boobie hasn't been terrible and is huge for special teams. If Brown doesn't play teams, he is not dressing barring injury and would need two RBs to go down before seeing substantial touches.

just spit balling, but you could even look at a guy like gaskins on the 9ers practice squad that Roman kept there all last year. Would know the scheme, and was even with the bills as a UDFA once upon a time. if someone goes down, he might get a call before CW gets called up, for example of looking beyond our 53 in making a roster decision. as far as depth backs go, im not terribly worried despite feeling higher on brown then most here.

Edited by NoSaint

That's right. The best ones move on from them and don't let their egos get in the way.

Yeah. It's not surprising to see, but it is silly to slam our GM over this when we just dismantled one of the AFC's top teams. We didn't give up much for him - no telling who our 4th would have been and whether or not they'd pan out either - and he failed to earn a spot on a loaded roster. Big whoop.