How To Cover Gronk

Peace Frog

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if this a bit premature, but I'm already looking to week 2.

I think the only way the patriots beat us is if Gronk does. He's a mismatch for whomever defends him. I noticed at times today the bills sort of doubled the colts WR's with a LB. I don't think it was a true double as the LB seemed to peel off at the snap.

Anyone have any idea as to what might work?

One of the biggest keys to the game this week will be covering Rob Gronkowski. The Steelers bragged that they had a great plan to do so and then proceeded to allow 94 yards and 3 TD's vs the big man including some plays where there wasn't even anyone covering him at all! Hopefully our guys are watching that tape and learning from those mistakes.

badd.0.jpg

GROOONK.0.gif

I think the best way to cover him is to have someone on him at the line of scrimmage and not let him release. Against the Colts we saw Manny Lawson out wide covering their TE on multiple occasions. I certainly wouldn't recommend that as our only line of defense. If that is their plan then they better make sure they have safety help behind him. On Sunday, they had Manny man-to-man which could be a big issue vs a more athletic TE.

post-19968-0-15334000-1442348647_thumb.jpg

Aaron Williams mentioned on WGR today that he wants to cover Gronkowski this week. I don't know if he's giving us a hint or if it is just wishful thinking. Williams has been playing well but I don't know how well he's going to matchup vs someone so much larger. For a big guy, Gronkowski has great body control and hands. He keeps the ball up like a rebounder coming down with the ball in basketball.

Let's hear some of your ideas for covering the man known as Gronk. As per Rex, he is a great actor so he does have that going for him. But something tells me he's a little bit better as a football player so hopefully he doesn't quit his day job

rob-gronkowski-and-rex-ryan-star-in-an-i

One of the biggest keys to the game this week will be covering Rob Gronkowski. The Steelers bragged that they had a great plan to do so and then proceeded to allow 94 yards and 3 TD's vs the big man including some plays where there wasn't even anyone covering him at all! Hopefully our guys are watching that tape and learning from those mistakes.

badd.0.jpg

GROOONK.0.gif

I think the best way to cover him is to have someone on him at the line of scrimmage and not let him release. Against the Colts we saw Manny Lawson out wide covering their TE on multiple occasions. I certainly wouldn't recommend that as our only line of defense. If that is their plan then they better make sure they have safety help behind him. On Sunday, they had Manny man-to-man which could be a big issue vs a more athletic TE.

attachicon.giflawsoncoverage.jpg

Aaron Williams mentioned on WGR today that he wants to cover Gronkowski this week. I don't know if he's giving us a hint or if it is just wishful thinking. Williams has been playing well but I don't know how well he's going to matchup vs someone so much larger. For a big guy, Gronkowski has great body control and hands. He keeps the ball up like a rebounder coming down with the ball in basketball.

Let's hear some of your ideas for covering the man known as Gronk. As per Rex, he is a great actor so he does have that going for him. But something tells me he's a little bit better as a football player so hopefully he doesn't quit his day job

rob-gronkowski-and-rex-ryan-star-in-an-i

FWIW, Lawson ran a 4.43 at the combine. He is freakishly athletic (and really intelligent. It is hard to imagine that he didn't become a superstar but that is neither here nor there). He was origiannly signed here because of how good he was in coverage. I do not recommend Lawson as the only option but he is AN option. Personally, I would probably put Gilmore on him. Let those other stiffs beat you. If the ball is headed to Chandler, Dion Lewis, Amendola and "Dropson" we are in great shape. Those guys are bad football players. Edited by Kirby Jackson

did you see his tweet on Thursday night about how he wished the Billls didn't draft him and that they ruined his career? I assume some Bills fan tweeted at him during the game all pissed off about getting him instead of Gronk and he flipped.

post his tweet, please

Throw a book at him

I don't think throwing it will do much. Asking him to read it is another story.

Gronk is all over the field it seems. I remember when Hernandez would pretty much only run a seam route which was he and brady's bread and butter but that was it.

I think Manny will be physical enough on the line and tight within the first 5-10 yards but he's not going to be able to cover him on an over the top pass. Brady will hit that all day without help over the top.

Edited by The Wiz

post his tweet, please

looks like he deleted the original one. Here's some responses regarding the tweet

@TorellTroup: @LucMallaber17 not at all im jus tired of every tome gronk scores a touch down someone @ me. Yall wouldnt have picked him anywy.

@TorellTroup: @TylerOrlando28 team wanted me to play hurt anyway with a fractured lower part of my spine and i did until i couldnt anymore.

@TorellTroup: I loved the bills and put my body on the line for them. Thats my fault. I would have done Anything and i did more than most would....

Edited by YoloinOhio

did you see his tweet on Thursday night about how he wished the Billls didn't draft him and that they ruined his career? I assume some Bills fan tweeted at him during the game all pissed off about getting him instead of Gronk and he flipped.

@Troupacabra......?

I have been consistent that this is what I would do. I am with Kirby - it would be Gilmore with help from Lawson or a safety when necessary. I'm going to make the Patriots beat me with other guys. I'd then match then Darby's speed on Edelman who is going to get his catches but hopefully Darby's speed and tackling ability limits his YAC and I am going to force the ball to go to Amendola and Dobson and the no name backs out of the backfield. If they beat us with those guys then fine... but I am not going to let Gronk beat me if I can possibly help it.