Fans outside WNY have no clue about the Bills

PromoTheRobot

I live in NH and I'm struck by how little football fans know about the Bills. Last night one guy at hockey told me the Bills will suck until they get rid of Orton at QB! :lol: Any out of town fans have to put up with such buffoonery?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course. But at the same time, why should anyone outside of Buffalo pay any attention to a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Clinton was president? It's quite ridiculous.

We all tend to see the great potential in the team, and I think they will be very relevant this season, but to everyone else this is a team that has defined mediocrity for over a decade. Who would pay any attention to that?

I live in NH and I'm struck by how little football fans know about the Bills. Last night one guy at hockey told me the Bills will suck until they get rid of Orton at QB! :lol: Any out of town fans have to put up with such buffoonery?

All the time my friend. Bills are simply not part of the NFL conversation, especially where I am in the DC area where they still gloat over the SB win a hundred years ago. Been off the radar a very long time. As they are in the Pats/Jets/Phins AFC East, IF IF IF they start winning they will get re-recognized quickly simply by east coast market exposure. So winning will cure everything.

Of course. But at the same time, why should anyone outside of Buffalo pay any attention to a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Clinton was president? It's quite ridiculous.

We all tend to see the great potential in the team, and I think they will be very relevant this season, but to everyone else this is a team that has defined mediocrity for over a decade. Who would pay any attention to that?

Yup. People consider the Bills a perennial doormat and any hype (we've heard pre-season hype before) from Bills fans to be just typical delusional fandom.

Nothing will change that until the Bills make the playoffs.

Dear God that's beautiful. Not for nothing Promo, but I wouldn't burn any bridges with a Bills fan in NH if I were you (regardless of how clueless might be).

To be fair, half of our fans active on this board would struggle with random starters on teams they don't follow before the season even starts.

Are you saying he's a Bills fan outside of WNY or a football fan outside of WNY and doesn't know about the Bills?

Yup. People consider the Bills a perennial doormat and any hype (we've heard pre-season hype before) from Bills fans to be just typical delusional fandom.

Nothing will change that until the Bills make the playoffs.

I don't know that I'd say people generally think the Bills are a perennial doormat, just that they are a perennial average-to-below-average team, which is really boring to anyone who's not a fan of the team. If they were a real perennial doormat, I think people would maybe pay a little attention just because of the curiosity of it.

Edited by Rubes

To be fair, half of our fans active on this board would struggle with random starters on teams they don't follow before the season even starts.

Yup. I lived in NC for a number of years and felt I knew a thing or two about the Panthers. Until last night, when I was all: "Holy sh#t, Deangelo Williams plays for the Steelers now??!"

No need for an inferiority complex chip on your shoulder.

I was in Italy in 1994, met some Italian kid, liked American football, Bills were his favorite team, couldn't understand how one team could lose 4 Super Bowls in a row.

Maybe you don't hang around with intelligent football fans. Out here in AZ and all my friends around the country that are football fans are well versed on the Bills.

It's a fair point I think. I reckon I could nail the offensive skill position starters of probably 30 of the 32 and probably the main defensive stars on about the same. But who plays right tackle for the Buccs or who is left guard for the Lions and who the nose tackle is in Washington.....? I'd struggle off the top of my head.

EDIT: Although I do know every starting Quarterback and thinking we still have Orton is a new level of idiocy.

Edited by GunnerBill