Our old friend Jairus Byrd

Kirby Jackson

The exception that proves the rule

Ha ha, it was sarcasm. People always complain that "we let all of our good players go" and almost all of the guys that go, get worse. Marshawn is the exception (and there were other reasons that he left) Byrd is the rule. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, it was sarcasm. People always complain that "we let all of our good players go" and almost all of the guys that go, get worse. Marshawn is the exception (and there were other reasons that he left) Byrd is the rule.

Antoine and Fat Pat may argue with this.

I figured that you guys would be interested in following this saga here:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/new-orleans-saints/is-jarius-byrd-medically-cleared-but-refusing-to-play/58516826/

I was not surprised too much that, when he left the team, the Bills defense improved. While he made some great plays at times, I think he was never quite the talent everyone made him out to be.

I was not surprised too much that, when he left the team, the Bills defense improved. While he made some great plays at times, I think he was never quite the talent everyone made him out to be.

Same exact thing can be said (and be accurate) about Alonso.

The Whaley criticisms are ridiculous.

Looking back, he was a smart and talented player, but kind of a "me first" player. Always looking for the big int, but was never a big hitter or anything awesome like that. Here as a Bill though, the guy sure could jump a route.

Antoine and Fat Pat may argue with this.

Again, you can include London Fletcher as well. Go back to the start of free agency and look at every guy that the Bills let go and tell me what percentage were better on their next team? Pat and Fletcher were more cap casualties as the elected to pay Schobel of the 3. I will bet that no more than 20% were better at their next stop and if you were to take out guys cut strictly for cap reasons the number is about half of that. Somehow the narrative on here is that the Bills let every good player go. In fact, someone on here a month ago said that they let 99% of their good players go. The reality is the Bills have probably been right about 4 out 5.

Agreed, he was a ballhawk but could not support the run and was soft. He had some ability but not a lot of heart.

I just read an article about Byrd and it also mentioned that Spiller has yet to play in a preseason game and hasnt practiced in weeks

I did not know that

CBF

I think spiller is a guy you keep on the shelf until game day. He doesn't run too many fancy plays or pick up blitzes. You either sweep left, sweep right or toss a swing/screen. In all cases you just want him to run downfield as fast as he can.

Remember how bent out of shape everyone was when the Bills didn't re-sign him?

No. Many were against the signing with some saying the Bills should do everything they can to put him on PUP list and do what they can to prevent him from acquiring year of service.

I just remember you not knowing what the word everyone means.

I can't understand why some Bills fans feel the need to bash Byrd. He played well for us. Whaley obviously made the right call in not re-signing him. It's a business and he's looking out for his own well being.

No he didn't for a part of his career; he objected to being tagged and then basically did not play his final year. If he did not like the contract the NFLPA negotiated he should have taken NFLPA to court and get compensation there rather than sitting out.

No. Many were against the signing with some saying the Bills should do everything they can to put him on PUP list and do what they can to prevent him from acquiring year of service.

I just remember you not knowing what the word everyone means.

No he didn't for a part of his career; he objected to being tagged and then basically did not play his final year. If he did not like the contract the NFLPA negotiated he should have taken NFLPA to court and get compensation there rather than sitting out.

He played in 11 games his final year here IIRC.

I was pro byrd, too.

A miniscus doesn't take 11+ months to heal.

oh i know, unless there were some crazy complications. but it doesnt seem the case. i wont knock him for missed time last year.

this year though -- if its all mental, its a big issue.

Edited by NoSaint

That dude won the lottery his rookie year with all those tipped passes falling into his hands, some of them skill related but the other half dumb luck as evidenced by the rest of his career after that lucky first year.

Sucks for the Saints. They now have CJ and Byrd and all of their ailments. I'm praying CJ gets healthy this season and gives them their money's worth, they're great fans and Spiller is a great dude.

That dude won the lottery his rookie year with all those tipped passes falling into his hands, some of them skill related but the other half dumb luck as evidenced by the rest of his career after that lucky first year.

Sucks for the Saints. They now have CJ and Byrd and all of their ailments. I'm praying CJ gets healthy this season and gives them their money's worth, they're great fans and Spiller is a great dude.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.