Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so we should spend 5m of our cap space to insure against the very specific situation of the 1 & 2 having us in the playoffs but both being hurt by the end of the season, and cassel being able to hold things together for a month without losing everything?

to me that doesnt sound like optimizing limited resources.

Did I criticize cutting Cassel? Nope. Just provided my opinion on what he could do. Personally, I'd keep him because I believe the Bills are cursed. Just watch. We'll be counting on Matt Simms to beat the Cowboys (knock on wood).

Cutting him saves more than $4 million on this year's cap. That is significant as the team tries to sure up the future of the roster. But there is no doubt the Pats* would bring him in real quick for a thorough debriefing. If they're going to cut him, do it ASAP. Or maybe give him some fake playbook updates first.

so we should spend 5m of our cap space to insure against the very specific situation of the 1 & 2 having us in the playoffs but both being hurt by the end of the season, and cassel being able to hold things together for a month without losing everything?

to me that doesnt sound like optimizing limited resources.

How about this scenario?

-Tyrod tears an ACL week 1

-EJ is shaky

It takes us one game to go from excitedly cutting the vet to realizing we just blew the playoff run over $4m we probably don't need.

I know it doesn't seem like it but I'm truly as high on Tyrod and EJ as the next guy- just don't understand the rush to remove the only known commodity at the most important position.

Edited by Aaron

All the way from starting QB to perhaps 3rd string. In less than 1 year.

EJ may develop. He may not, but he's not developing fast enough to supplant a guy who's thrown less than 40 regular season passes.

When does your bash the bills at every possible angle shtick gonna end ?

2 playoff wins ? What's the cost ? It loses luster, fake enjoyment over one roster move to keep it fresh.

How about this scenario?

-EJ is shaky

It takes us one game to go from excitedly cutting the vet to realizing we just blew the playoff run over $4m we probably don't need.

I know it doesn't seem like it but I'm truly as high on Tyrod and EJ as the next guy- just don't understand the rush to remove the only known commodity at the most important position.

Because NoSaint is smart and everyone else is dumb?

How about this scenario?

-EJ is shaky

I tend to agree. Leave the training wheels on until we see if they can take the bicycle out of the driveway.

He's better than Garofalo, at least...

Is he really? I love how our young QB's have all this upside and we need to see it through and let them overcome obstacles and failures and get coached by different coaches before we are allowed to have an opinion on them but we know how good (or bad) other teams' young QB's are right away.

How about this scenario?

-EJ is shaky

I hope u are somewhere out there knocking on some wood while u say this crap

Agreed.

Plus, when are people going to start to understand that you cannot really believe what Rex says in press conferences. Yes, he is refreshingly honest. But he also says that stuff is great, and usually says I love this guy and everything is great. UNLESS he says stuff the complete opposite like he doesn't know Bryce Brown's name. Rex just says stuff and you cannot take him at his word. It's not like everything he says is a lie or not true, but he loves to talk and he loves to build his guys and himself up and that's why the players and media guys and most people like him.

Except people who think he's a blowhard.

For me, I love him and think he's great, I just don't believe what he says as gospel.

I felt Rex was pretty honest about the competition and how the QB's were performing, the media convoluted a lot though. I think he tries to speak the truth but also plays with his wording, the "we'll most likely keep 3 quarterbacks" never qualified if that meant Sims or not.

I do believe Russ Brandon when he goes on record being unhappy about something. The rest of the time he's a gloss-over rainbow-farting unicorns guy. That's ok by me, it's his job.

I think Cassel gets released as did Fred in big part because of the salary cap and upcoming FA's. I don't think Rex and FO would have gotten rid of Freddy otherwise. If either Tyrod or EJ show as a potential franchise QB there's that payday upcoming too.

How about this scenario?

-EJ is shaky

Id have the same opinion in April, and have complained about moving on from tjax waaaaaay to early for that reason, but at final cuts you have to make moves that go beyond simply worst case scenario. we cant commit 5m to a guy as a just in case to a just in case. theres a reason that literally no other team in the league will have a $5m third stringer. its advocating buying a bomb shelter at expense of putting meals on the table. how many spare tires do you load up on before hitting the road for important destinations?

if he were firmly number 2, and who knows, maybe he is.... itd be a different discussion.

Edited by NoSaint

Did you see what happened to Matt Flynn in Seattle? It happens. People don't want to accept it but good coaching appears to have improved EJ and Tyrod already had been getting good coaching from whence he came. Better raw products from the start have finally progressed beyond Cassell who is a career journeyman. People should be extatic.

**fixed to be less absolute lest I provide fodder for naysayers...

Extatic? Look, you guys need to put away your jump to conclusions mats for a second. Cassel was better than Manuel throughout camp according to everyone. Did EJ look great against Pittsburgh? Absolutely. Was that enough to convince the coaches that he can translate that play to the regular season and that Cassel- who only played FOUR SERIES and didn't even look that bad himself- is expendable? I guess we'll see.

Is he really? I love how our young QB's have all this upside and we need to see it through and let them overcome obstacles and failures and get coached by different coaches before we are allowed to have an opinion on them but we know how good (or bad) other teams' young QB's are right away.

post-159-0-47785000-1441122823_thumb.jpg

Such a definitive statement. Lawson will be 32 next year. Hopefully, Johnson improves enough to take the reigns. That would be great for the Bills.

32 at his position is not old. It's not young, but 32 is not old. 34-35 is old. I think he is a critical piece for the Bills to resign at the right price for 2-3 years.

Right now, yes.

We? Stop speaking in generalities. If you want to criticize my football knowledge, then just do it.

When does your bash the bills at every possible angle shtick gonna end ?

2 playoff wins ? What's the cost ? It loses luster, fake enjoyment over one roster move to keep it fresh.

Ha ha, I was going to post something similar. I do not remember one positive post ever from him. That is even worse than the eternal optimist. Like in everything there are some positives and some negatives. He remains off the board until he can dump on something. BillsVet is basically a seagull. He pops in, craps all over everything and then leaves.