Rex is torn TT or Cassel

Reed83HOF

you are still trashing EJ.... tsk tsk

man you have to lighten up. your blood pressure must be sky high @ mile high.

IMO If injuries continue ... $5 Million would help in securing other positions if there is a need.

People want TT because he's a new and exciting prospect, Matt is a new but unexciting prospect and EJ is the old prospect Doogie screwed with.

and if Cassel looked good/great then EJ must have been astronomical!!!

If they are in danger of going over the cap at any point, I would have no issue cutting Cassel. I have come around to the idea that Manuel could be a #2 at the very least. It's not like I'm advocating letting Dareus walk in order to make sure we have a good third string QB. But for now, I think it wouldn't hurt to keep him around just in case. Last thing we want is a 2014 Arizona Cardinals situation.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is a master at it.

We're not going 3-0 with Cassel leading this team. His play is so uninspiring and boring it will put the crowd to sleep, yawn. I'm feeling sleepy just talking about him. He's as Meh as Meh can get. The mellow icon is perfect for this occasion . :mellow:

I'm not using a crystal ball, but rather my eyes. He's completed 13/15 passes at a 86.7% clip. There's no way with a completion percentage that high his yards per attempt should be at 5.5, that's horrible. Especially when you've completed almost all your passes. He's not led one Td drive during the time he was in this preseason. We could have hung on to Tuel to complete short safe passes.IMO

Look I'm not a Cassel guy but can we please stop with the microanalysis of preseason stats? You're citing Cassel's YPA in four drives now? That's a little over the top.

As I said a few weeks ago, a skydiving coach doesn't name a guy like Cassel his starting QB. Cassel was signed here to be the disaster option in case TT or EJ failed in the competition, 4 weeks laters that isn't the case, not even close.

Cassel is toast.

That's one way to look at it.

The other way is that Rex is a conservative offensive guy, wants ground and pound and don't turn the ball over.

That's one way to look at it.

The other way is that Rex is a conservative offensive guy, wants ground and pound and don't turn the ball over.

That might be because he never had a functional QB to work with.

I think the Tyrod pickup and the desire to see EJ "use his legs" more contradict that notion.

Why? TT is known as a running QB. That adds to the ground and pound and conservative approach and not the run wild gamble approach. Everything they have done with TT is the games is to make him a quick decision short passer to see if he can play an efficient passing game with his feet being an added weapon and bonus and not the core function. They didn't call one run yesterday for him

Look I'm not a Cassel guy but can we please stop with the microanalysis of preseason stats? You're citing Cassel's YPA in four drives now? That's a little over the top.

Normally I'm all for using reason when applying pre-season stats, but given his league history that 5.5 looks like Matt Cassel as much as any stat can look like Matt Cassel.

2014:6.0
2013:7.1
2012:6.5
2011:6.4
2010:6.9
2009:5.9
2008:7.2
2007:5.4
2006:4.0
2005:7.6

Then Cassel isn't his man. In the past 2 seasons EJ has started 14 games and Cassel 12, so the games played is very close. Don't forget that for 9 of these starts Cassel had Adrian Peterson in his backfield. Their numbers:

Cassel

Passer Rating - 78.1

TDs (both running and throwing) - 15

Turnovers (ints and fumbles) - 16

EJ

Passer Rating - 78.5

TDs (both running and throwing) - 19

Turnovers (ints and fumbles) - 15

EJ has played two more games and has fewer turnovers. Hell, people want to say EJ has been "bad" the past two years yet he's been better than this supposedly rock solid, "consistent" vet. Granted, obviously stats don't tell the entire story, but you can get a pretty good picture from them.

I can't wrap my mind around how anybody would want Cassel as the starter when you have two young guys who have been playing their asses off. If the coaches go this direction I'll lose some faith in them.

Agree. Gotta poop on Cassel due to last 5 years and his current fluttery balls.

We're lucky Boykin can't catch. Meh was lucky he didn't get picked 6 there.

Fine his career average is 6.6 which last year would have netted the Bills tied for 19th (Cleveland finished 15th 6.9) . Now if you look at his career average and what he has shown this year it's not good by any standards.https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-pass-attempt/

Never mind... It went right over your head.

Then Cassel isn't his man. In the past 2 seasons EJ has started 14 games and Cassel 12, so the games played is very close. Don't forget that for 9 of these starts Cassel had Adrian Peterson in his backfield. Their numbers:

Cassel

Passer Rating - 78.1

EJ

Passer Rating - 78.5

EJ has played two more games and has fewer turnovers. Hell, people want to say EJ has been "bad" the past two years yet he's been better than this supposedly rock solid, "consistent" vet. Granted, obviously stats don't tell the entire story, but you can get a pretty good picture from them.

I can't wrap my mind around how anybody would want Cassel as the starter when you have two young guys who have been playing their asses off. If the coaches go this direction I'll lose some faith in them.

MDH, quit stating facts. It's all about what your eyes tell ya......well, unless it isn't.

Fine his career average is 6.6 which last year would have netted the Bills tied for 19th (Cleveland finished 15th 6.9) . Now if you look at his career average and what he has shown this year it's not good by any standards.https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-pass-attempt/

Never mind... It went right over your head.

I guess so. Did you have a point?

Edited by FireChan

Cassel

Passer Rating - 78.1

EJ

Passer Rating - 78.5

I don't either considering how TT has played. I don't think I'm ready to give EJ the keys to the car yet but I'm close.

But the comparisons in stats are one tool. It's easy to imagine Rex and Roman thinking all we need our QB to do is not make mistakes, read the defense pre and post snap, and then let Watkins, woods, Harvin, Clay and Shady run wild. That, before, could have screamed Cassel. He's rarely had a bunch of good playmakers around him let alone five.

BUT... After watching TT make good decisions and make no mistakes and consistently efficiently move the team, they get the best of both worlds. I don't see how they don't start Taylor but you still see this basically conservative approach

I don't either considering how TT has played. I don't think I'm ready to give EJ the keys to the car yet but I'm close.

Yeah, I always considered Cassel the guy who would start if the other guys didn't step up. But both of them did. No reason to go with Cassel. I don't want him cut, I think he's a solid option coming off the bench as a #2 but I don't want to see him start any games unless both Tyrod and EJ aren't available.

Looking back, I wished the Steeler defender had held onto the pick six that Cassel telegraphed right to him. No way after EJ and TT's performance that Ryan would go with Cassel after that happened.

Yeah, Cassel lucked out there. If that had happened, we'd hopefully hear less about Cassel being the "less risky" pick. I think he's more risky because we'll need 10-12 play drives to score. We got big play guys, we need a big play QB.

If a word is misused in the same meaning enough the meaning of the word will be adjusted for the meaning of the word to be correct use.

Happens all the time. The word crescendo used to mean "gradually get louder" (I know, I'm a music major). You could never "reach" a crescendo, but the word has now changed to mean "climax".

It was tipped.

Well played sir! :beer:

Why? TT is known as a running QB. That adds to the ground and pound and conservative approach and not the run wild gamble approach. Everything they have done with TT is the games is to make him a quick decision short passer to see if he can play an efficient passing game with his feet being an added weapon and bonus and not the core function. They didn't call one run yesterday for him

Of course, but if you have a guy who scrambles and evades the rush well, chances are he's going to cough the ball up sometimes.

Tipped pick 6 is still a pick 6. The meh telegraph is easy to read.

Is this a joke in reference to the anti Ej crowds insane reference to ej's 7 of 8 ? The one incomplete ?

Yes. EJ's worst pass hits a defender in the chest. "It was tipped!" Cassel's worst pass hits a defender in the arms. "Cassel's a bum!"

Yes. EJ's worst pass hits a defender in the chest. "It was tipped!" Cassel's worst pass hits a defender in the arms. "Cassel's a bum!"

Cassel's out pass to Davis causes Davis to come back to the ball diving hard for a great catch and short of the first down. Cassel's pass to Easley was way outside the radius and Easley makes another great catch. No comments about Cassel's accuracy or lack thereof. If EJ threw those balls you'd never hear the end of it.

Cassel stared down his receiver and his telegraphed pass was easily blocked at the line, popped up in the air and was an easy pick six that was dropped. EJ's was just tipped so barely most couldn't see it at the line to cause it to drop innocently to the ground. Which was a worse play by the QB? Hint: It wasn't even close.

I understand why they would pick Tyrod over EJ, but I just feel like that drive we saw from Taylor yesterday is his ceiling. He's pretty much maxed out. And I can't get over his height.

EJ showed us a glimpse of his ceiling and it blows Tyrod out of the water. EJ can be Cam Newton with good intangibles minus some running skills.

So how does this make him Newton?

It's freaking Terry Pegula's fracking money. It's play money. Nobody cares about $5 million. I just don't see how you can say what you "saw over the last two games." He looked good/great in the first game and then yesterday he looked like Matt Cassel- a serviceable backup who can complete easy, short throws. Hey that's something that EJ Manuel couldn't do in his last two regular season games. I couldn't disagree with you anymore on this. I think it makes no sense to cut him.

Terry don't care but that's cap money saved.

OK saying that Manuel has a higher ceiling than Taylor is one thing. I disagree with you and I think you only believe that because of where they were drafted, which is entirely misleading with respect to both of them, but it's a rational thought. But you said that drive yesterday was Taylor's ceiling. That would be like if Mike Trout hit three home runs in a game, stole two bases and made the sickest catch ever, saying "I don't know guys, I think we just saw his ceiling." You literally couldn't have had two better drives than he had.

This...TT showed what everyone wanted him to...he can stand in the pocket and sling the ball on spot. The big PLUS is that he can also fly like Superman as evidenced by the 20 yard TD run. He has more juice! How do you NOT start him when you compare all 3 QB playing times in preseason. That said, EJ has definitely improved and was impressive the last two games...I would not want to see him cut at this point...or traded!

10 yds moves the chains. Short throws are high percentage throws, or should be. And hasn't the knock on Taylor been, he's got legs, he's got a long ball, but he doesn't have those short-intermediate throws? So....

Ball possession wins games Thats going to be Romans game. And another reason why Cassell might just work out.

Sure you can hit Clay in stride for the TD, but you just gave the ball back to opposing offense. Bills dont need shootouts. grind it and dont turn it over

something to keep in mind.

Ball possession wins games Thats going to be Romans game. And another reason why Cassell might just work out.

Sure you can hit Clay in stride for the TD, but you just gave the ball back to opposing offense. Bills dont need shootouts. grind it and dont turn it over

something to keep in mind.

Right? Not sure what EJ was thinking. No situational awareness. Cut him.