Rex is torn TT or Cassel

Reed83HOF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've said it before.......if Roman could create a high powered offense with a proven mediocrity like Matt Cassel at the helm he would become the top HC'ing candidate in the NFL.

Not that he wouldn't get some credit for doing good things with TT but is it not clear how little love he got for his work with the VERY raw Colin Kaepernick?

He has to be torn some at the thought of his work possibly being written off again by another QB who excels at broken play football.

I don't think he came here planning to be the OC beyond this season.

I think he wanted to get out from the shadow of Harbaugh and prove what he can do and get a HC job pronto.

Torn or not I don't see how he can pass on Taylor.

I think he would get equal kudos for getting a high powered offense out of a four year backup with no experience and reputation for running too fast and being too small and not being an accurate or pocket passer.

Our only hope is if Watkins and Harvin and Clay et al make a lot of spectacular plays and teams think without all those weapons maybe Roman is not that good.

I think he's one and done here.

It's freaking Terry Pegula's fracking money. It's play money. Nobody cares about $5 million. I just don't see how you can say what you "saw over the last two games." He looked good/great in the first game and then yesterday he looked like Matt Cassel- a serviceable backup who can complete easy, short throws. Hey that's something that EJ Manuel couldn't do in his last two regular season games. I couldn't disagree with you anymore on this. I think it makes no sense to cut him.

you are still trashing EJ.... tsk tsk

man you have to lighten up. your blood pressure must be sky high @ mile high.

IMO If injuries continue ... $5 Million would help in securing other positions if there is a need.

People want TT because he's a new and exciting prospect, Matt is a new but unexciting prospect and EJ is the old prospect Doogie screwed with.

and if Cassel looked good/great then EJ must have been astronomical!!!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

So let's see. Here's the Bills brain trust that will make the decision.

Rex Ryan: a gambler

Greg Roman: unknown quantity

Doug Whaley: a gambler

Terry and Kim Pegula: Owners who are also fans and know what people want. I am sure they know that starting Cassel would be a PR disaster

Even if Roman started out as a Cassel guy, I can't imagine anyone else yelling for Cassel here.

So let's see. Here's the Bills brain trust that will make the decision.

Rex Ryan: a gambler

Greg Roman: unknown quantity

Doug Whaley: a gambler

Terry and Kim Pegula: Owners who are also fans and know what people want. I am sure they know that starting Cassel would be a PR disaster

Even if Roman started out as a Cassel guy, I can't imagine anyone else yelling for Cassel here.

The owners are not (or at least should not be) even involved in the QB decision. At all.

PR disaster? They already have all the season tickets. Wins are never bad PR.

I've said it before.......if Roman could create a high powered offense with a proven mediocrity like Matt Cassel at the helm he would become the top HC'ing candidate in the NFL.

Not that he wouldn't get some credit for doing good things with TT but is it not clear how little love he got for his work with the VERY raw Colin Kaepernick?

He has to be torn some at the thought of his work possibly being written off again by another QB who excels at broken play football.

I don't think he came here planning to be the OC beyond this season.

I think he wanted to get out from the shadow of Harbaugh and prove what he can do and get a HC job pronto.

Torn or not I don't see how he can pass on Taylor.

I believe you're right - and I believe Roman will be the HC in D.C. next year.

I really don't think anyone would have got it if you hadn't done that. Oh, well. :lol:

Hehehe, I do find it wierd though that the coaches have only played Meh for 4 drives over two games and word is they are considering him to be the starter. It just doesn't add up.

"You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just might be a lunatic you're looking for...." (sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm in favor of Taylor based upon reports of his performance in 7-7, 11-11, scrimmage, and what I could see of preseason games.

But, I think it's pretty clear EJ has looked significantly improved this spring/summer - better decisiveness, better progressions, better ability to step into the pocket and let rip rather than trying to do that stupid roll at the first sign of pressure. I don't think he's where we want him to be yet as far as reading the D and adjusting, so in my mind he loses out. I don't see how that makes him the "insane girlfriend you keep going back to".

Meaning - EJ has all the physical tools (super hot) so we drafted him thinking the other stuff will come around (immaturity, craziness, whatever). It's started ok, exciting win vs Carolina and Baltimore then the real EJ came out (yelling at you, not wanting you to see your friends, etc) so he gets benched (you break up). In the offseason EJ vows to get back his job, he's still got that cannon arm (she's still hot) so he's gets his job back. Not too long after we remember why he was benched and he gets benched again for Orton (you took her back because she's hot and then she goes nuts again, yelling at you in front of your friends and making your life miserable - so you move on a date someone else briefly).

Are we going to get sucked back into that cycle again?

The owners are not (or at least should not be) even involved in the QB decision. At all.

PR disaster? They already have all the season tickets. Wins are never bad PR.

The fanbase is ABC. If Cassel starts and we lose 2 out of our first three games, the Rex Ryan era start will have fans rightly questioning the competency of the coaching staff.

Hehehe, I do find it wierd though that the coaches have only played Meh for 4 drives over two games and word is they are considering him to be the starter. It just doesn't add up.

You and me both. Tyrod and EJ have the offense moving in big chunks over and over this preseason. It's like all the life is sucked out of the offense when Cassel trots on the field.

The fanbase is ABC. If Cassel starts and we lose 2 out of our first three games, the Rex Ryan era start will have fans rightly questioning the competency of the coaching staff.

And if Cassel starts and we go 3-0, the fan base will still complain. Who cares what the fans think?

Edited by FireChan

And if Cassel starts and we go 3-0, the fan base will still complain. Who cares what the fans think?

Depends on how we go 3-0. This is about Terry and Kim Pegula's input. They care what the fans think. Of course the coaches ultimately must make the call by deciding who is best. But to think the Pegulas have no interaction with Rex is naive.

Meaning - EJ has all the physical tools (super hot) so we drafted him thinking the other stuff will come around (immaturity, craziness, whatever). It's started ok, exciting win vs Carolina and Baltimore then the real EJ came out (yelling at you, not wanting you to see your friends, etc) so he gets benched (you break up). In the offseason EJ vows to get back his job, he's still got that cannon arm (she's still hot) so he's gets his job back. Not too long after we remember why he was benched and he gets benched again for Orton (you took her back because she's hot and then she goes nuts again, yelling at you in front of your friends and making your life miserable - so you move on a date someone else briefly).

Are we going to get sucked back into that cycle again?

Yes, 'cause she's hotter than ever, puts out, and went to anger management.

Depends on how we go 3-0. This is about Terry and Kim Pegula's input. They care what the fans think. Of course the coaches ultimately must make the call by deciding who is best. But to think the Pegulas have no interaction with Rex is naive.

If the owners are interfering with personnel decisions based on PR, we're already doomed.

Edited by FireChan

I think he would get equal kudos for getting a high powered offense out of a four year backup with no experience and reputation for running too fast and being too small and not being an accurate or pocket passer.

Our only hope is if Watkins and Harvin and Clay et al make a lot of spectacular plays and teams think without all those weapons maybe Roman is not that good.

I think he's one and done here.

It's hard to understate how little respect he got for the job he did with Kaepernick.

And what I have heard is 100% about the QB's, as in "people around the NFL think the Bills really have something in Tyrod Taylor"........and not much of anything about Roman's offense.

I do think he will get a HC job if any of them excel but you couldn't blame him if he didn't trust in the NFL system of identifying coaching talent after taking a raw lump of clay like Kaep to a SB in year one and nearly back in year 2.