EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Last night on local NBC news (where Joe B works, btw), Adam Benigni listed the "Chances of Starting" as:

Cassel 50%

TT 43%

EJ 7%

These guys have no idea what theyre talking about. Even if you want to put EJ 3rd, which he probably is, make it a reasonable 50/30/20. Now they just look like idiots.

Howard and Sal talking yesterday...

Howard..."I don't think he's (EJ) in the running to start Saturday..."

Sal... "No I mean in the season, he's not in the running to start the season..."

Howard... "Oh...No...No forget it...I would not start him Saturday...No...He's not in the running to start the season..."

Now...Maybe Howard and the rest of them will get a little vindication if EJ falls flat or is not the starter vs Indy...Though his assumption was that EJ's not in the running at all...Which I think he clearly is...Even if he is 3rd right now...Which no one really knows...

This announcement today just proves how some of the ridiculous assumptions on WGR over that past month have indeed been a bit premature...It's like someone pointed out here yesterday...It's been a pack mentality with most of them since Mini Camp...It seemed like the minute one of them said EJ is out, and he may even be cut, the rest just jumped on that bandwagon willingly...Never giving it a second thought...I mean...It amazes me that with all these guys at WGR there's not a single one that stuck up for EJ and really backed the kid...And I'm not basing that on anything other than...What are the odds? Usually when you get 5-10 sports fanatics together you're going to get every type of opinion and everywhere there in between...But it was kind of a mob mentality there concerning EJ...And if in fact EJ does start vs Indy they are all going to look like complete and total idiots...I just don't see where they needed to handle it this way...It felt a bit like piling on to me...And again, what are the odds that all of these people so willingly agree on a subject like this? What? Were they all that afraid to disagree with Joe B while he was still there?... It just makes no sense to me at all...I swear some of the conspiracy theories I've heard make more sense than this many grown men agreeing on a sports subject... :lol:

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone ask these guys where they got their info, because it seems like they all got it from themselves and now are shocked that the info they pulled out of their ass is wrong.

The media was making a big deal out of which QB was getting the most reps with the ones on offense. The QB that was getting the most reps against the ones has been EJ. Something that everyone has been missing. All through camp, they have been running 2 simultaneous practices and players have been rotating between fields. All the focus has been on which QB is in with the starting offense. Big mistake and quite the curve ball to the media who don't really see the big picture the way the coaches do.

werent you pushing people to take the clear meaning from the reps in practice this week?

(just giving a little bit of a hard time)

Yep, I still think that. All 3 are playing with the 1's this week though. If they all take 2 drives with the 1's I do not think that it is telling. I didn't care too much about the rotation at practice either. Who was seeing the majority of snaps with the 1st was a better indication to me. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It is pretty clear though that they want to see what EJ can do behind the first team OL.

It was ONE report with no real credibility. The guy may have a good reporting background/record, but still, this is rumor at best.

We disagree here. Credible reporters and credible for a reason. He certainly heard it from a reliable source but it is subject to change. At that moment though I am 100% confident that was the feeling of those coaches.

I have no idea. I don't think that they are looking at any of the guys as wasting drives. All 3 are viable NFL players. If they are all going to play with the 1st team do you think that Rex cares that much about the order?

My guess is that the competition is closer than most think. I still believe that Rex wants Tyrod and Roman Cassel based on the report. I don't think that EJ is going to be cut or anything and has a chance to start games this year for sure.

I think there is a very good chance that Rex and Roman didn't think EJ had much of a chance three weeks ago either. And that the report at the time could very well have been true. But EJ has surprised them in the games as he has become more comfortable. Plus he probably really impressed them on the last drive with a bunch of really great throws under a lot of personable pressure. And the team sees it, too.

3 weeks ago, I could have been convinced that Rex was running a smokescreen and that there was no chance that EJ would be our regular season starter. Now I'm not so sure that this truly isn't a 3 way race for who's going to be our starter. For all of the writers and radio guys that like to say that EJ has been terrible, they really aren't looking at what the players have done with the time they've had. Who has the highest QB rating of the three? EJ is at 117.2 compared to Cassel at 90.1 and Taylor at 84.0. Who's finished long drives with touchdown passes? EJ has 2 versus the other guys having none. When all is said and done, EJ is getting a chance. The worst case scenario here is that he sputters out of the gates. With certainty in my mind, he would be relegated to #3. What happens though if he leads the team down the field against the #1 defense of the Steelers and puts it in the end zone? Is that what we finally want to see from our starter? Does that shoe him in to be the guy for the Indy game, or does Rex go with the Matt Cassel as a safety? I think that assuming that EJ isn't in the race is a fallacy. Rex isn't going to waste valuable time letting a guy start a preseason game just to show the fans that it's a fair fight, particularly if EJ was actually terrible. I think it's actually a fair fight!

Yep, I still think that.

And this wording right here separates the good posters from the not-so-good. A lesser poster would have taken offense at NoSaint's post and gotten combative and defensive. You, OTOH, stood by your position. Got to respect that even though I don't agree with your take always.

This quote is a little misleading. The part of the quote that is NOT from Rex is that EJ's time with the starters may be brief. That was PFT's suggestion, not Rex's.

Rex did say it, and no it's not misleading at all, given that the quotation includes the words "Ryan said"