EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

I'm consulting HamSandwitch! He seems to have the inside scoop on this. Ham, what brilliance, you had this all figured out days ago. Never mind WGR, Jerry Sullivan (we shouldn't anyway), all the "insiders". Those that read Ham's post a few days ago on his "theory" was dead on

PS: Was there really an assassin on the grassy knoll?

Boom! Grassy knoll? No, no I don't know anything about that...I swear!

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I love what EJ brings to the table is that he throws a beautiful deep ball. That is what this team needs! Everyone knows we are going to run the ball, and stopping the run will be the opposing teams priority. With the speed and playmaking of Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Clay, Goodwin, Deonte- we need a QB that can take the top off, and make teams respect the big play. Which in turn, opens up the running game. Power football, with big shots taken repeatedly suits this offense.

Man though, doesn't he Pete?

When he's off, he is off...but that throw earlier this season and in his first season against the jets.

Pretty, pretty, pretty. :wub: those throws.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

if EJ were to be named starter for week 1 today, what would the colts be preparing for differently, as opposed to if they thought it a 2 man race between cassell and TT?

If it's Cassel they don't worry about the read option, or the long ball. If it's TT they worry a lot about the read option and TT rolling out and throwing on the run and straight run/pass options and especially TT breaking the pocket on pass plays, perhaps even assigning a spy. With EJ he only throws short passes on the run, he's poor at the longer one, doesn't run the read option nearly as much, and doesn't really scramble nearly as much or be in on set run plays. They really are all different and Roman calls plays around what they do well and don't do well. EJ doesn't throw well on the run, TT does.

This is a great example of why players will run through walls for Rex. It couldn't be ignored that despite inconsistencies at practice EJ was the QB who produced TDs through the air in his two preseason stints. EJ is well liked in that locker room, and I'm almost certain there are players who feel Marrone sabotaged him.

I don't know if he still has a realistic chance to win the job but I'm very happy for EJ that he gets this chance.

^^Indeed....agree.

Manuel to start Bills' crucial third preseason game

In a potential sign that the Bills intend to keep all three of their quarterbacks, or at least a sign that Rex Ryan has not learned much about quarterback development since his time in New York, the Bills will start EJ Manuel on Saturday against the Steelers.

Great move by Rex ..

2 -This indicates to me that Rex knows the pulse of the locker room and he knows that whoever wins the QB job needs to have the appearance of winning it fair and square so there can be no bitching or side taking once the big decision is made.

Excellent point.

Any chance it will help with the fans bitching or taking sides once the big decision is made?

My biggest fear is that we have this QB debate ALL season long. No matter who starts.

Edited by AdamK

2 series EJ

2-3 series Cassell

or 2-3 series for Tyrod. All with the starters (maybe 7 series total)

This is what I think and I like it.

...and I don't believe they are doing it to be fair. I honestly think they just want to know. Not just with EJ as the starter, but everybody with the starters.

What I think happened was that EJ actually did play clearly worse than the other two in OTAs and at the beginning of camp, and the media guys for the most part all wrote him off as a lost cause because of his accuracy problems that went back to last year. But from the scrimmage to now, EJ has gained more confidence in the offense and it has shown in his play on the field in all three tests. Being more comfortable allows him to throw win more authority and accuracy. He still misses too many and the media guys harp on that. But the coaches and a lot of fans noticed it and saw the improvement.

The media guys refused to allow the improvement to enter their equation or narrative and they thought it wouldn't matter as much. But the coaches see things differently than fans or media guys see. And they liked what EJ did a lot, especially the mettle he showed in the Browns game. The media guys just wouldn't accept that as anything more than playing against the threes. But the coaches have a different perspective and reasons for doing what they do.

What I think happened was that EJ actually did play clearly worse than the other two in OTAs and at the beginning of camp, and the media guys for the most part all wrote him off as a lost cause because of his accuracy problems that went back to last year. But from the scrimmage to now, EJ has gained more confidence in the offense and it has shown in his play on the field in all three tests. Being more comfortable allows him to throw win more authority and accuracy. He still misses too many and the media guys harp on that. But the coaches and a lot of fans noticed it and saw the improvement.

The media guys refused to allow the improvement to enter their equation or narrative and they thought it wouldn't matter as much. But the coaches see things differently than fans or media guys see. And they liked what EJ did a lot, especially the mettle he showed in the Browns game. The media guys just wouldn't accept that as anything more than playing against the threes. But the coaches have a different perspective and reasons for doing what they do.

We have no idea what the tape showed. That is the big unknown. The media went off of looking at things from the sideline without having any idea how plays were drawn up or what mistakes were made. This goes back to the Bills' "new" system of not correcting mistakes on the field during camp and doing all of that via film study after practice.

Edit: and the tape we can look at -- from preseason -- shows an EJ Manuel who was poised and accurate.

Edited by eball