Sal's 11 "good" Quarterbacks

GunnerBill

you defined good at your own rate

and you put flacco, palmer and newton all at the same level... with the likes of tannehill, russel wilson and bridgewater.

you did not even include kaepernick or griffin. that's funny.

Elite:

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

------

Excellent:

Luck

Brady

------

Good:

P Manning

Brees

Rivers

Flacco

E Manning

Ryan

Above Average:

Newton

Romo

Palmer

Bridgewater

Tannehill

Wilson

when did he win in the playoffs? Oh, wait, nevermind, he beat a lame duck Arizona with a bad QB then got handled by Seattle.

I was talking last year. Whitaker was very effective - he didn't play much but averaged very well. Olsen had 1000 yards. Benjamin did, too. Crotchery was very effective at keeping the drive alive, when Newton looked his way.

If we're talking about last year, how the hell did he have "3 good RB's?"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest that the way to sort this is for the list to be topped by the guy who would be better on any other team than the guy there now. My view is that Rodgers could go to any other team and provide an upgrade, given time to practice with the personnel, adjust plays, and so on. Which QB is next, who could go to any other team other than Green Bay and make it better? Brady, maybe, if he gets to bring Belicheck along, but that's not the deal, so I would go with Luck. I think Luck would make the Steelers better but Roethlisberger would not improve the Colts. To me, that's how you make the list, and when you get to a guy you know isn't that good, you stop.

Statistics are never clean. Does a QB who wins a SB win it alone? Of course not. Was Jim Kelly better than Mark Rypien? Of course he was, but the Skins won the game when they went head to head in the SB.

Passing rating, and the quality of the RBs and WRs and TE on a team, are not the product of just one guy. At the top levels, the players elevate each others' games.

So I would go with a subjective, personal approach. Man v man, who makes the other guy's team better? Here's my list:

Rodgers

Luck

Roethlisberger

Brady

Rivers

Brees (we're talking today, not in their prime)

P Manning

Flacco

E Manning

And that's it. Below this, there's a group of pretty good guys who are about equivalent in ability.

If we're talking about last year, how the hell did he have "3 good RB's?"

whitaker was good last year. he didn't play much, but he has been very effective. it doesn't show on stats and you'd not know it unless you watched carolina but the guy was very good and goign to show his talent this year and be noticed.

whitaker was good last year. he didn't play much, but he has been very effective. it doesn't show on stats and you'd not know it unless you watched carolina but the guy was very good and goign to show his talent this year and be noticed.

He had 30 carries. I don't care if he was playing like Barry Sanders. 30 carries doesn't count as a weapon for the year.

Passer rating. I'm beginning to think the majority of you don't understand the difference. But you are correct, he is really good.

And we got a Bills fan "LOL'ing" at Romo. Of course.

I happen to agree with you. Sounds to me like there's a pretty clear cut 14 guys and he went out of his way to omit the three you mentioned to stir up some controversy. In what world is Eli not at least considered "good?" I'm going with 14 good QB's.

Dead on here, IMO. Not including Eli, Flacco and Stafford is preposterous. I might include a couple others if "good" is the standard. Hell we may find out the Bills actually have a "good" QB. Bad coaching and/or a bad team can make a great QB look good, and a good QB look terrible.

But that's why guys make these lists---click bait.

"Good" question!

Romo, to me, is unquestionably good. Perhaps he has failed in clutch situations, but he holds the #2 all-time QBR. And I'd take Flacco over Newton.

He's a hellava QB. Playing for the Cowboys doesn't help his cause.

i don't know about QBR and I never watch the NYG but I'm just guessing he's looking at this year, not using QBR as criteria, and didn't think he was a top 11 qb.

I hear you, and I know that it's just Sal's opinion but it seems absurd to me. If Manning was the Bills QB right now I'd be placing Super Bowl wagers in Vegas.

I wonder how that list would have changed if it was a list of which quarterbacks can carry a team to a win more than once in a season when their defense plays poorly.

Wouldn't that really bring out the best on the list?

Rodgers

P. Manning

Brady

Brees

Okay maybe that is the elite list.

If that's in order, Brady and Manning are too high right now - Manning in particular is clearly past his prime.

Newton is very overrated - look up his stats. He's athletic with a powerful arm and plenty of leadership attitude, but not all that accurate and it shows up in the numbers.

Top 3 QBs in the league _today_ are Rogers, Luck, Rothlisberger and I don't think it's that close after them.

Newton= EJ on Steriods. ( Figuratively speaking)

Edited by Protocal69

I wonder how that list would have changed if it was a list of which quarterbacks can carry a team to a win more than once in a season when their defense plays poorly.

Wouldn't that really bring out the best on the list?

Rodgers

P. Manning

Brady

Brees

Okay maybe that is the elite list.

Yeah that is more the elite list, though really those are the guys you want and the sort of guys who tend to be playing at the end of the year when almost everyone else's season has ended.

It's worth noting that in the greatest era of Bills football ever, we had our best QB ever, and he is a HOFer.

Not a coincidence.