It's gotta be Roman who makes the QB call, right?

eball

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rex should allow Roman to start whomever he thinks can best run his offense. If that fails after a few weeks, then Rex would go to Roman and say "OK, we did it your way and its not working, now we do it my way".

That being said, that might have transpired over the offseason. I have no way of knowing if it did or not. But its possible Greg and Rex got together and said "OK, Cassel starts the off season with a slight advantage". Then they go through the offseason QB "competition" to see if EJ or TT can overtake him. EJ (according to media types) has dropped out of the running. But if TT continues his solid play, he may just overtake Cassel for the #1 job.

If Rex is truly a player's coach then he will no doubt ask Sammy Watkins "off the record" who he thinks is the best QB and the one he wants as the starter. Sammy is a big star and I think that what he thinks will carry a lot of weight. The Bills want him happy and for him to have a huge breakout season. Sammy may not even know who he'd like best right now, but I'm sure that Rex will ask him.

This is such a bad idea I don't even know where to start. I hope and pray that you're totally incorrect.

Think about exactly what are your underlying assumptions here? That 1 WR who is running routes is a good judge of what the QB is seeing overall and how well he is reading and reacting? That what is best for 1 WR, big star or no, is best for the team? That a 2nd year WR, big star or no, knows more about what qualities of QB it takes to win championships than an OC who has been there and done that? Crazy, man.

This is such a bad idea I don't even know where to start. I hope and pray that you're totally incorrect.

Think about exactly what are your underlying assumptions here? That 1 WR who is running routes is a good judge of what the QB is seeing overall and how well he is reading and reacting? That what is best for 1 WR, big star or no, is best for the team? That a 2nd year WR, big star or no, knows more about what qualities of QB it takes to win championships than an OC who has been there and done that? Crazy, man.

I think a star such as Sammy should be consulted on the decision. I know that if I were the head coach I'd ask him if he had a major preference between the three guys. Now if there were a big fundamental problem with Sammy's pick for QB then Rex would be able to inform him why he might not be the right QB to go with. I'd be shocked if Rex didn't ask Sammy his thoughts and want to give Sammy what he wants.

This is not a thread to discuss whom you believe should be the Bills' starting QB, but whom you believe is or should be making the final decision.

I believe this should be Roman's call all the way.

Other thoughts?

If, as Whaley has said, they're really "one team one dream", it should be the same decision whoever makes it.

Polian has said that when the Colts made the call to draft Manning, the general consensus was that Leaf was the better choice. He watched extensive film on both QB and had a reel put together on both which he made everyone sit down and watch, after which everyone was aligned that the better choice was Manning.

So if it's Rex making the call and Roman has a different call, both of them should be able to lay out their data objectively and convince a room.

If, as Whaley has said, they're really "one team one dream", it should be the same decision whoever makes it.

Polian has said that when the Colts made the call to draft Manning, the general consensus was that Leaf was the better choice. He watched extensive film on both QB and had a reel put together on both which he made everyone sit down and watch, after which everyone was aligned that the better choice was Manning.

So if it's Rex making the call and Roman has a different call, both of them should be able to lay out their data objectively and convince a room.

Don't underestimate the stubbornness of Rex Ryan...

I think a star such as Sammy should be consulted on the decision

I know you think so. You've said so. My question and challenge to you is Why do you think so? What are your underlying assumptions here?

If you want to be taken seriously, much less persuade anyone, lay them out.

Don't underestimate the stubbornness of Rex Ryan...

If he's actually learned something from his failed 1st go as HC, he better rein that in.

Rex's strong suit is defense. Roman's is offense. He needs to trust his OC on this one.

This, but OTOH, when a guy is head coach, "the buck stops here" so at least he has to buy in to Roman's decision

At the end of the day the head coach has the power to overrule roman but roman will definitely be a factor in determining who is the starter. I think roman wants cassel so he can try to replicate what he did with alex smith in san fran. (don't turn the ball over, be efficient)

This. The final call should be made by HC, but he should yield to OC if the OC feels strongly about a guy.

naming a starting a QB is a big deal, and Rex should make the final call. But if Roman strongly pushes for a guy, Rex would be smart to trust Roman. But really, headcoach should be the one with final word

I could not possibly disagree more. First, Ryan is a defensive coach. Second, It is Romans system. If Rex has a big enough head to overrule his OC (which he might) it is a big mistake in my opinion.

I know you think so. You've said so. My question and challenge to you is Why do you think so? What are your underlying assumptions here?

If you want to be taken seriously, much less persuade anyone, lay them out.

Because he is the star of the show and the three QBs are supporting players right now. I think there is an important dynamic there that there shouldn't be a major disconnect on if they plan on having a successful offense. It's more of a positive energy vs negative energy dynamic that I'm referring to. No doubt that Sammy wants to have the same kind of success that ODB had last year and if he's floundering with a QB who's thrown him only 2 TDs in five games and he's the QB he never wanted in the first place...it's probably not going to be a good thing. Who knows, maybe Sammy has no preference and he's just glad it's not his decision. That could be the case also.

This is not a thread to discuss whom you believe should be the Bills' starting QB, but whom you believe is or should be making the final decision.

I believe this should be Roman's call all the way.

Other thoughts?

Seriously?

Why do you put a man in charge? Do you let the assistant make the key decisions?

Rex Ryan will make the call. Period.

I can't believe this thread even exists!

I could not possibly disagree more. First, Ryan is a defensive coach. Second, It is Romans system. If Rex has a big enough head to overrule his OC (which he might) it is a big mistake in my opinion.

But if you are the Head Coach and ultimately it is your reputation on the line then you have to be comfortable yourself with the guy you are going with. It is no point going with the Quarterback everyone else wants if you in your heart of hearts don't believe in him.

Sort of a loaded question. I think the ultimate decision goes to the head coach. With that being said, like any organization, they will work to build a consensus. If the decision is really that close, then Roman will likely get the green light from Rex to make the call.

As a side note, I was at practice last night. I have been in the anybody but Cassel boat since he was signed. To me his is just another quarterback destine to fail. However, it was clear to me that, at least last night, he was in total control of the field. His accuracy was clearly better then TT and EJ. I finally came to the conclusion that he could do the job.

I still think that TT should be given the chance as he opens a completely separate dimension to the offense and has preformed well all throughout camp and the two preseason games.

Overall, I have been impresses with all three quarterbacks this training camp. I really do think anyone could start. While none at this point in their career are the next coming if Peyton Manning, they are starters in this league.

I think the real refreshing thing is that we finally have quality coaches that could get more out of the players then previous regimes.

Bottom line is that there are valid and justifiable reasons for any of the three to start.

Roman is the OC and it's Roman's system that they'll be running. I would think that Rex would rely on his judgement for determining who's the best candidate to be running his offense. If Roman were simply a puppet (which he's not), then I would certainly say Rex should make the call, but that's not the case here.

This is classic management stuff....it has nothing to do with football....this question comes up in every business where a top exec (Ryan) has a team of supervisors (coaches) who do the companies business (football). The answer depends on the executive. In Ryan's case, he is a defensive minded coach...and, I would think he would be comfortable, if necessary, overrulling the D coordinator if he thought that apriopriate. In the case of the O, however, it might not be his own personal strength.....and, he should defer to the judgement of his O coordinator. But if the culture on his staff is that he overrules at will, then, Roman's decision will not carry the day. Since I don't know how much delegation Rex does sector by sector in the activity in his perview, who knows who is making the call. If you ask me a question about the special teams.....I am guessing Crossman is making those calls, however.

I think Roman should make the call after talking to his main receivers . It would be bad to have receivers sulking and quitting on routes if they are unhappy with the QB.

What if the OC and Rex want Cassel, but the WR's want Tyrod? I think the coaches will leave the players out of it.. I'm sure as one poster noted, it's Roman's offense and his call, but Rex has the power to veto it.

I think a star such as Sammy should be consulted on the decision. I know that if I were the head coach I'd ask him if he had a major preference between the three guys. Now if there were a big fundamental problem with Sammy's pick for QB then Rex would be able to inform him why he might not be the right QB to go with. I'd be shocked if Rex didn't ask Sammy his thoughts and want to give Sammy what he wants.

He's a 2nd year player. Not a chance this happens. Plus, as good as he is, Sammy is not a star player yet.

Edited by nucci

Ideally Roman, but if he chooses Cassel, I hope Rex overrules him and starts TT or EJ. Starting Cassel is akin to playing Orton last year. It maybe gets a few more wins, but at the expense of identifying whether there is a future QB on the roster. And Cassel is also only on a 1-year deal and will want a ton to re-sign, meaning he'll likely be gone next year anyway.

If Cassel is the guy, you can assume both Roman and Rex have concluded that the future QB is not on the roster.