It's gotta be Roman who makes the QB call, right?

eball

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really isn't a question. The HC gets the final call. Period. That IS the way it works. The question is: How much does, or should, Rex trust Roman's judgment over his own?

My personal take, FWIW, is that Roman is leaning Cassel for the one reason that he reads the field better than the other two. Roman wants a QB who is going to use his offense. If TT, or EJ are missing reads, they're not using Roman's entire offense. Of course, an OC is going to want the QB who uses their offense more completely.

Conversely, I think Rex is leaning TT, because he sees a more dynamic player who is harder to defend against. Cassel ain't going to become more dynamic, but TT may get better at reading the field. I imagine the conversations between Rex and Roman centering around such concepts, and which option gives them the best chance of winning now, as well as the longer term plan for this season and the next.

But, the onus is on Roman to convince Rex, not the other way around.

Like most coaching decisions I think it's going to be a collaborative effort. Ultimately it will be Rex's call but I think he will no matter what listen to Roman as when it comes to the QB needed for the offense Rex will defer to his OC.

Roman of course will sit down with his assistants and make the call and then tell Rex his recommendation, Rex will then confirm it. Even if Rex's confirmation is just a formality there still has to be that process just to establish a chain of command and give the perception of Rex as having involvement with the offense.

This really isn't a question. The HC gets the final call. Period. That IS the way it works. The question is: How much does, or should, Rex trust Roman's judgment over his own?

My personal take, FWIW, is that Roman is leaning Cassel for the one reason that he reads the field better than the other two. Roman wants a QB who is going to use his offense. If TT, or EJ are missing reads, they're not using Roman's entire offense. Of course, an OC is going to want the QB who uses their offense more completely.

Conversely, I think Rex is leaning TT, because he sees a more dynamic player who is harder to defend against. Cassel ain't going to become more dynamic, but TT may get better at reading the field. I imagine the conversations between Rex and Roman centering around such concepts, and which option gives them the best chance of winning now, as well as the longer term plan for this season and the next.

Did Colin Kaepernick read the field better than Alex Smith?

As of last year, I don't think Kaep reads the field well, honestly. He does everything that Taylor's been doing, though. Maybe Roman is having doubts because of the hiccups San Fran had, but I don't know what really went down in that situation.

I think we're all over-thinking it. That's what we do. When I don't overthink it, Taylor just makes sense.

My insider info said that Rex and Roman were in discussions on running an offense weeks before Rex was asked to visit Buffalo.

Yet neither Cassel nor Taylor have thrown a touchdown pass in preseason, where EJ has two touchdown passes and a two point conversion that won the Bills the game against the Browns.

Yet neither Cassel nor Taylor have thrown a touchdown pass in preseason, where EJ has two touchdown passes and a two point conversion that won the Bills the game against the Browns.

EJ has looked pretty good, which I think is why he's still getting some 1st team action.

If not, they're just hiding their intentions really well.

I think it should be Romans call, with legit input and of course approval from Rex. I'd imagine Roman has more than proved himself as the offensive mind here and I think the best expert on QB's on our coaching staff is Roman. I mean, that's kinda, his specialty, right? Rex needs to let him make the call, in my eyes.

I think it was the team doctor's call, and then everything after that can be explained by 'It's a performance driven league'.

Yes but when Smith was healthy again there was a week of "will they, won't they?" Someone had to make that call. For me it was almost certainly Harbaugh.

Rex has two guys he wants to keep happy, McCoy and Watkins. IMO, the guy who throws the best deep ball is the guy to go with because it opens up big holes for McCoy and Sammy will have 14 TDs. Sammy would be a genius with that kind of selfish thinking!

Im sorry man but.....no

Way more complicated then this and I will tell you why

- Deep balls (the ones that you are describing are very low percentage passes as it is so having a QB that can throw deep and need be able to do anything else would not help this team.

- keep in mind the weapons that are at the disposal of the team......and the offense that is going to be run.......they are not DEEP BALL weapons......Sammy Watkins made his college living on getting the ball close to the line of scrimmage and that needs to be brought back........same with Percy Harvin......your not going to run McCoy deep.......we have a fullback that can catch.......Clay works the intermediate of the field

What we need is a guy who can make quick throws from short to intermediate.....and a occasional deep ball. Keep in mind we are gonna run the ball.......a lot. If your looking for some sort of high flying passing offense your gonna be dissapointed