Roman Playbook - Matt Cassel

Virgil

I keep seeing that Roman wanted the trade for Cassel and that's who he wants to start. My question is, why?

Isn't Roman a pistol, read-option type play caller? To me, Cassel would be the worst fit. I have nothing against Cassel, let the best man win.

Just curious

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't shock me, I know harbaugh was kind of seen as the qb whisperer in SF, but I think that we will be ok no matter who ends up at qb.

When roman got to SF, they had Alex smith who at that point in his career was a huge disappointment, only to start playing well above average in Roman's scheme. Then smith gets hurt and kaepernick took over and played well too. Two very different playing styles, yet roman adapted and both had success.

If he can have similar results with any of our guys, we will be playing football in January.

That doesn't shock me, I know harbaugh was kind of seen as the qb whisperer in SF, but I think that we will be ok no matter who ends up at qb.

When roman got to SF, they had Alex smith who at that point in his career was a huge disappointment, only to start playing well above average in Roman's scheme. Then smith gets hurt and kaepernick took over and played well too. Two very different playing styles, yet roman adapted and both had success.

If he can have similar results with any of our guys, we will be playing football in January.

I absolutely guarantee we will play football in January, and would be willing to bet anyone any amount of money on it.

Edited by DrDareustein

I keep seeing that Roman wanted the trade for Cassel and that's who he wants to start. My question is, why?

Isn't Roman a pistol, read-option type play caller? To me, Cassel would be the worst fit. I have nothing against Cassel, let the best man win.

Just curious

Just curious...where the hell did you see that?

I hAve seen nothing of the sort declaring Roman wanted Cassel.

Roman is a whatever QB he has under center coach. Don't know who these fools are that try to pin him to one type of player... He probably wouldn't have a job still if he could only coach one type of QB or had only one type of game plan.

I think it is a fair question.....

Both of the qbs that Roman has had success with were mobile qbs

Just curious...where the hell did you see that?

I hAve seen nothing of the sort declaring Roman wanted Cassel.

An inside source has apparently said so. It is being discussed in one of the other QB threads.

Alex Smith is considered mobile?

More mobile than Cassel, that's for sure.

Rex wanted him

I say let Roman pick his QB and run the offense the way he wants to. Then if it doesn't work out then it's his fault. But at least there's no excuses

That makes zero sense- It is the HC that picks the starting QB with input from the staff. Rex is accountable not Roman.

I'm not sure about this but wasn't the report that Roman, now, wanted Cassel to start after watching these guys versus Roman being the one who pushed for the trade for Cassel ?

Yeah, the report that Roman wanted Cassel now, not that he called for the trade. Could still be the case, though doubtful, but that wasn't part of the report.

That makes zero sense- It is the HC that picks the starting QB with input from the staff. Rex is accountable not Roman.

While this is true

It is also true that Rex has not hit on qbs in the past.......and would do well to listen to his high profile OC that he brought in

This is where I hope that Rex has learned from his last position.....he is a mastermind of defense......but needs to learn to depend on his OC for the offensive side of the ball