Roman Playbook - Matt Cassel

Virgil

Right. They are not running QBs at all, they are pocket QBs who can run. Kap and Taylor are running QBs who you want to throw. To me, Wilson is the only guy who is both. He's a QB who is just as big a threat to run.

To me, Steve Young is the greatest QB of all time because he could do it all as a pocket QB and he was a great runner and could throw remarkably well on the run. I thought he was better in his prime than Montana in his prime. It's so hard to find a guy who can do both. It's best to have a guy like Rodgers or Luck who are great pocket QBs but can also run.

All of that is agreeable.

But I'm just saying, it's very possible Roman prefers the less physically gifted passer who can make quick decisions and limit mistakes over the big play guy with worse field or whatever else. That first season in SF the Niners methodically moved the ball with creative schemes, power running and dink-dunk passing. Maybe Roman likes that consistency over the ups and downs that came with Kap.

Edited by Big C

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of that is agreeable.

But I'm just saying, it's very possible Roman prefers the less physically gifted passer who can make quick decisions and limit mistakes over the big play guy with worse field or whatever else. That first season in SF the Niners methodically moved the ball with creative schemes, power running and dink-dunk passing. Maybe Roman likes that consistency over the ups and downs that came with Kap.

Totally agree. I have been saying the same thing. I think I prefer Taylor. But I think the coaches, or Roman, could easily think we can win with this guy Cassel just doing what we want him to do. I think even us Bills fans may be underestimating our skill players. Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy can all make the first guy miss on a regular basis. The best offense could easily be the guy that just gets them the ball on the run five yards down the field.

Totally agree. I have been saying the same thing. I think I prefer Taylor. But I think the coaches, or Roman, could easily think we can win with this guy Cassel just doing what we want him to do. I think even us Bills fans may be underestimating our skill players. Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy can all make the first guy miss on a regular basis. The best offense could easily be the guy that just gets them the ball on the run five yards down the field.

I'm certainly not underestimating our skill position players. I really do think they look like a special group.

I just have a hard time believing that the man on our roster best suited to maximize those talents is Matt Cassel. At some point, the defense starts playing close to the line. They see the quick pass coming. When Geno Smith was hurt, I remember us joking that as long as Fitz was running the show, all people had to do was guard 15 yards back, because anything past that wouldn't reach its target. Well, I trust Fitz more than I do Cassel. If you want to talk about how people will "gameplan" for Taylor's running, it seems only fair to acknowledge what they'll do against Cassel.

You can have a thriving offense with dink and dunk passes...if you're Tom Brady. I have not seen Brady level accuracy from Cassel.

Tayor seems to be able to make the high percentage passes at a level similar to Cassel. We've seen arm strength that is greater. We've seen a running ability.

This isn't to say that Taylor is going to be amazing, or that even if he wins the job that it would be crazy to look at drafting a new QB. But it boggles my mind that Cassel of all people would be the best option.

Which Tyrod has shown the ability to do as well.....:)

Roman works with whatever talent he has- he in a three year period at Stanford went from a top 5 rushing attack with Toby Gerhardt to a top 5 passing team with Luck. If he wants Cassell I would state he clearly thinks Cassell will get the ball best to the others offensive weaponsand allow them to do their thing.

I think people need to listen to what Romans philosophy on QBs actually is instead of assuming he wants to run with a read-option QB;

http://media.wgr550.com/a/108178641/greg-roman-talks-offense-with-howard-and-jeremy.htm?q=greg+roman

He will run an offense that maximizes a QBs strengths and hides his weaknesses. He doesn't try jamming a square peg into a round hole. He doesn't run one kind of offense. All he asks for is consistent play for the position.

Guys, people make the leap that Roman is a perfect match-up for TT because of the correlation to Kaep, but Roman also rehabbed Alex Smith's career (see Cassel) and went deep into the playoffs.

We should be thankful for such an experienced OC who has demonstrated success with both types of QB's.

I don't think we will beat Indy unless we have Tyrod in there.

There's tons of film on Cassel and EJ, but Indy wouldnt have much to go on trying to gameplan for TT.

The dude is accurate and exciting. He gets the nod for game one unless something happens that shows rex he cant protect the ball.

If our season opener was against a team like Jacksonville or the titans we would probably start Cassel because he wont lose you the game, but we will need to score 20 plus to beat Indy, Luck is a freaking machine, even against our D at home.

Gotta play TT.

Alex smith is a mobile qb very similar to tannehill. Smith ran urban meyer's offense in college and he doesn't use QBs who can't run. It's a basic premise of his offense. He's not a "running QB" but has mobility for sure.

Yeah he's got pretty good mobility but he doesn't run much. In his career, he averages three rushes per game, 110 games, 105 starts, 337 rushes. And those, of course, count all of the kneel downs at the half or end of the game as rushes. So it's less than 3 per game. That's a mobile guy that can run, not at all a running QB. Aaron Rodgers in the same number of games has 40 more rushes and most of his are scrambles and sneaks.

I can't get involved in two threads on the same subject but I can assure you that Cassel is Roman's guy. This should not be viewed as some outrageous claim. As another poster pointed out, if Rex wants Taylor as B/R reported (my source is stronger than B/R for what it's worth) and the "other coaches" are split, then by process of elimination, it would stand to reason that Roman prefers Cassel. Why? I don't know. This isn't to say that Taylor can't or won't still win the job. There's time left for both guys. Or all three guys, if you wanna believe that. And whitewalker, how has Cassel not looked good enough for you so far? He was 7-8 with a blatant drop by Hogan and a big gainer to Watkins that got called back on a cheesy penalty. I'm not thrilled about the guy either but can everyone just try and be objective about what they see?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You have had several people that have watched him play tell you he is mobile

unless you have some kind of evidence to the contrary?

Yea just look at his rushing stats when he was with Roman... Shows you he wasn't being mobile. But don't worry about the facts just have a few of anonymous people tell you differently.

Who is the more injury prone?

Is it Cassel ? Who has had health issues. Or TT?

Who some feel will become injured due his style of play.

One of my thoughts is that Cassel VS TT and EJM.. are different types of QBs.

Matt is going to be limiting the play calling in my mind. It's that weak arm that has me thinking he is NOT the starter.

I think he holds the clipboard. That way you have a security blanket if EJM and or TT run into health issues.

One thing i surely agree upon is Roman wants efficiency and consistency, and dependable. But neither TT or EJM have nailed that down yet, although they each continue to improve . Tough tough call from a fans perspective I think

Edited by 3rdand12

I can't get involved in two threads on the same subject but I can assure you that Cassel is Roman's guy. This should not be viewed as some outrageous claim. As another poster pointed out, if Rex wants Taylor as B/R reported (my source is stronger than B/R for what it's worth) and the "other coaches" are split, then by process of elimination, it would stand to reason that Roman prefers Cassel. Why? I don't know. This isn't to say that Taylor can't or won't still win the job. There's time left for both guys. Or all three guys, if you wanna believe that. And whitewalker, how has Cassel not looked good enough for you so far? He was 7-8 with a blatant drop by Hogan and a big gainer to Watkins that got called back on a cheesy penalty. I'm not thrilled about the guy either but can everyone just try and be objective about what they see?

In preseason...

He also made throws short of the sticks when he needed first downs. He's terrible when trying to function outside the pocket. He'll make bad throws under pressure. We've seen him operate run-heavy systems and he hasn't been good. He hasn't protected the ball well.

This is just speculation on the media's part. Rex and his staff want Tyrod, but the offensive guys are just a little more critical and apprehensive than Rex is. They're being patient and letting their process play out. Tyrod hasn't won the job, yet, simply because he hasn't had enough time. They'll come around.