Roman Playbook - Matt Cassel

Virgil

In preseason...

He also made throws short of the sticks when he needed first downs. He's terrible when trying to function outside the pocket. He'll make bad throws under pressure. We've seen him operate run-heavy systems and he hasn't been good. He hasn't protected the ball well.

This is just speculation on the media's part. Rex and his staff want Tyrod, but the offensive guys are just a little more critical and apprehensive than Rex is. They're being patient and letting their process play out. Tyrod hasn't won the job, yet, simply because he hasn't had enough time. They'll come around.

Agreed. As I've already said, the same source that gave me Roman being in Cassel's corner also said that he thinks Cassel sucks and Taylor will be the QB less than a month into the season. He thinks that Taylor may be the real deal and made it pretty clear that there is a healthy buzz around the NFL surrounding Taylor right now. Cassel being in Roman's corner is not speculation though. Hopefully this becomes public knowledge soon enough so I don't have to keep defending myself.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't shock me, I know harbaugh was kind of seen as the qb whisperer in SF, but I think that we will be ok no matter who ends up at qb.

When roman got to SF, they had Alex smith who at that point in his career was a huge disappointment, only to start playing well above average in Roman's scheme. Then smith gets hurt and kaepernick took over and played well too. Two very different playing styles, yet roman adapted and both had success.

If he can have similar results with any of our guys, we will be playing football in January.

Good point.

Also see supporting article. Pretty interesting IMO.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21723100.php?

I'm not sure I believe the report and it wasn't from me. I can imagine that Roman prefers Cassel. I don't know either way. I want Taylor.

if you went to camp you would see that Cassel is definitely our most accurate QB. Tyrod seems to be a gamer though. He might get figured out after some game planning.

if you went to camp you would see that Cassel is definitely our most accurate QB. Tyrod seems to be a gamer though. He might get figured out after some game planning.

Yeah I believe all of that. Although the game planning thing could really backfire. I think putting a spy on him like some teams do to stop running QBs would help the Bills not the defense.

No different then Cassel being figured out after some game planning. Tyrod still has his legs though.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Agreed. As I've already said, the same source that gave me Roman being in Cassel's corner also said that he thinks Cassel sucks and Taylor will be the QB less than a month into the season. He thinks that Taylor may be the real deal and made it pretty clear that there is a healthy buzz around the NFL surrounding Taylor right now. Cassel being in Roman's corner is not speculation though. Hopefully this becomes public knowledge soon enough so I don't have to keep defending myself.

Of course it's not speculation. They signed him, didn't they? They agreed to bring him in. He's always been their fall-back option. It doesn't mean they want him to be the starter. They all want a younger, more versatile QB to rise out of this competition. Rex sounds like he's sold, but the offensive guys are just more apprehensive.

Of course it's not speculation. They signed him, didn't they? They agreed to bring him in. He's always been their fall-back option. It doesn't mean they want him to be the starter. They all want a younger, more versatile QB to rise out of this competition. Rex sounds like he's sold, but the offensive guys are just more apprehensive.

No, that's the point- Roman wants Cassel to be the starter. At least as of last week. And I understand what you're saying in terms of yes, everyone wants one of the other guys to emerge because we know what Cassel is, but evidently neither of them have emerged enough for him not to want Cassel to be his starter right now. And again, for all I know, Cassel will implode on Saturday and Taylor will be lights out and he will grasp the job hands down. That could just as easily be the case. But my guess is that if there is no clear cut leader after Saturday, Cassel starts week 1.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

To me, Steve Young is the greatest QB of all time because he could do it all as a pocket QB and he was a great runner and could throw remarkably well on the run. I thought he was better in his prime than Montana in his prime. It's so hard to find a guy who can do both. It's best to have a guy like Rodgers or Luck who are great pocket QBs but can also run.

There is no doubt that Steve Young is one of the best qbs in the modern era. He was one of the best athletes to play that position. I would still place him behind John Elway who almost every year carried his average team to the post season. When Elway finally won a SB at the end of his career he was a shell of what he was in his prime.

The current player who most resembles him is Andrew Luck.

No, that's the point- Roman wants Cassel to be the starter. At least as of last week. And I understand what you're saying in terms of yes, everyone wants one of the other guys to emerge because we know what Cassel is, but evidently neither of them have emerged enough for him not to want Cassel to be his starter right now. And again, for all I know, Cassel will implode on Saturday and Taylor will be lights out and he will grasp the job hands down. That could just as easily be the case. But my guess is that if there is no clear cut leader after Saturday, Cassel starts week 1.

At least as of last week??? So there's a chance .....

Oh BTW, in all fairness... You forgot 1 QB from your post.