Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You EJ detractors use words like "regression", " mutiny" and "accuracy" but these are your words. No coach or real profeesional football talent evaluator has used those words. He has 2 seasons under his belt. How can you claim he's regressed? That's just a made up phrase to propel what many of you really mean, which was that you simply didn't like the pick. He's fine, he hasn't regressed, why are we blaming the FO for drafting him. Who else should they have taken. What franchise QB's are there for the Bills. What tree are franchise QB's falling from? There been no one! What vetern QB's have been available to man the ship while the prospect develops and learns the intricacies of the position. Kolb, Orton, and now, Cassel. That's who. That's the best that has been available to us.

So many of you guys are "blaming" Whaley for not making the playoffs with these guys. "Blaming" EJ for not leading us to playoffs yet. C'mon men, get your heads screwed on straight. Quit arguing just to argue, and give up the position you took 2 1\2 years ago, because this is not 2013, let EJ sit behind Cassel and Tyrod, if that's how it's gonna be, and when we do get the chance to see him play, evaluate him on what he does now, not what you didn't like about a pick from a few years ago.

So you'd have rather picked a QB likely to not see the field this year over John Miller, our starting RG?

I would say yes. QBs will take time to develop and especially ones selected in the middle rounds. But you have to start at some time. Unless we are sure we have landed on 'the one', there should not be an aversion to selecting a promising QB. Your question can be asked at pretty much any point in the draft. There will always be players (and positions) which are easier for a rookie to excel at in his rookie year. But if a QB starved team like the Bills were to keep thinking like that, they will hardly ever select a QB unless they back themselves into a corner as they were when they selected EJ.

I would say yes. QBs will take time to develop and especially ones selected in the middle rounds. But you have to start at some time. Unless we are sure we have landed on 'the one', there should not be an aversion to selecting a promising QB. Your question can be asked at pretty much any point in the draft. There will always be players (and positions) which are easier for a rookie to excel at in his rookie year. But if a QB starved team like the Bills were to keep thinking like that, they will hardly ever select a QB unless they back themselves into a corner as they were when they selected EJ.

:shrug: I'll agree to disagree here. I do believe there are times where it would have been a good idea to take a QB over what we did, but our 2015 3rd round pick was the correct choice for our situation at the time IMO.

Why wouldn't u have the John Miller pick and let EJ develop like he was intended to do?

You EJ detractors use words like "regression", " mutiny" and "accuracy" but these are your words. No coach or real profeesional football talent evaluator has used those words. He has 2 seasons under his belt. How can you claim he's regressed? That's just a made up phrase to propel what many of you really mean, which was that you simply didn't like the pick. He's fine, he hasn't regressed, why are we blaming the FO for drafting him. Who else should they have taken. What franchise QB's are there for the Bills. What tree are franchise QB's falling from? There been no one! What vetern QB's have been available to man the ship while the prospect develops and learns the intricacies of the position. Kolb, Orton, and now, Cassel. That's who. That's the best that has been available to us.

So many of you guys are "blaming" Whaley for not making the playoffs with these guys. "Blaming" EJ for not leading us to playoffs yet. C'mon men, get your heads screwed on straight. Quit arguing just to argue, and give up the position you took 2 1\2 years ago, because this is not 2013, let EJ sit behind Cassel and Tyrod, if that's how it's gonna be, and when we do get the chance to see him play, evaluate him on what he does now, not what you didn't like about a pick from a few years ago.

BRAVO!! ENCORE!!

Is EJ Manuel better than he was in 2013? Is he worse? Is he the same?

Now you know darn well none of us have seen him enough to answer that.

We all saw the gorgeous pass he threw so we know he's capable of that. That was a "how you gonna cut me" kinda throw.

Edited by mastershake

We all saw the gorgeous pass he threw so we know he's capable of that. That was a "how you gonna cut me" kinda throw.

What.

You can't answer if he's better than when he was first drafted. And you don't think that's an issue? Hahahahah.

Edited by FireChan

3rd year in the league and you can't answer that, talk about cement heads. :wallbash:

What.

You can't answer if he's better than when he was first drafted. And you don't think that's an issue? Hahahahah.

Alright, I think we're done here, Ive read enough of your anti EJ arguements to have realized that your posting has regressed.

3rd year in the league and you can't answer that, talk about cement heads. :wallbash:

And old school, come up with something good and get back to me, I'll be here all season, OK?

I like the fact that there seems to be a semi-intelligent EJ discussion brewing on this thread without the name calling, etc. I would disagree with you however. I think a lot of people have this "we know what we have in Cassel so there's no point in starting him whatsoever- may as well let EJ start because he has a higher ceiling" attitude. Well for one, EJ may never hit the ceiling that Cassel has hit as a pro. My guess is he won't. And two, people say this while seemingly dismissing the fact that as we bicker on this board, the three of these guys are competing right now man vs. man and I'm sorry, bad coaching or not, third year in the league you better be able to beat out Matt Cassel for the starting job. Win the job. That's it. I agree with all the last three things you said: he has had a better camp than last year (I would hope so), he needs to improve more and I don't think any of even the staunch anti-EJ folks have said he "definitely" can't/won't improve. I just find it unlikely. Look, the Bills are going to start whoever gives them the best chance to win RIGHT NOW. The EJ people need to give up this idea that the organization should/will give him this leash to develop even if he's not producing. It's not 2013 anymore.

There is the metz we like. Even though we have disagreed I think this is your best post on the subject. Even if it came 2 days after you said you were swearing off posting about him until September 13th :nana:

As for the first bolded comment: Cassel's ceiling in this league was reached 5 years ago. To me he is on the decline. If it is CLOSE I would prefer EJ/Tyrod to Cassel. I am in the anyone but Cassel camp more due to the fact that him winning means the season will not go will imo, him winning means the young "potential" guys didn't show as well as a league scrub, him winning puts us in the need a qb sooner rather than later and another year of our defense was wasted. If he wins I will root like hell for him and have said as much multiple times. I just hope it isn't him.

To the second bolded: Amen. If he is to be any good he should be beating out Matt Cassel. Cassel showed much better than expected in game 1. All 3 of them did. I am hopeful for EJ and hopeful that he does indeed beat out Cassel because well Cassel sucks

Alright, I think we're done here, Ive read enough of your anti EJ arguements to have realized that your posting has regressed.

And old school, come up with something good and get back to me, I'll be here all season, OK?

Your argument is that because no coach has come out and said EJ has regressed, he hasn't. Is that it?

That's really a question for his coaches. Based on my eye test in the limited chances I get to see him, I'd say yes. I know his teammates think he's gotten better. Sammy, Fred, Woods all speak of the difference in his play

Former first round pick Jerry Hughes did zippo in his first three full years in the NFL...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99.htm

2 years and 14 games is simply not enough of a body of work to go by with a QB like Manuel who by all accounts would be a QB who would need time to develop. Odds are you are probably right to give up on him, but even if there is a 5% chance that Manuel is going to become a franchise QB, that is a lottery ticket that's well worth holding onto especially given that Manuel would be considered a great backup QB compared to the rest of the league's backups. BTW, there's still 3 preseason games left. This story can change real quick if Manuel plays great in expended playing time tonight and the other two QBs look shaky.