Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former first round pick Jerry Hughes did zippo in his first three full years in the NFL...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99.htm

2 years and 14 games is simply not enough of a body of work to go by with a QB like Manuel who by all accounts would be a QB who would need time to develop. Odds are you are probably right to give up on him, but even if there is a 5% chance that Manuel is going to become a franchise QB, that is a lottery ticket that's well worth holding onto especially given that Manuel would be considered a great backup QB compared to the rest of the league's backups. BTW, there's still 3 preseason games left. This story can change real quick if Manuel plays great in expended playing time tonight and the other two QBs look shaky.

How about who Hughes was traded for? Did the Bills give up on 3rd round pick, K Sheppard too soon? 4 years and out of the league, I don't understand why the pro EJ crowd does not think this can also happen to EJ.

Point is GM miss on guys all the time. Some guys never show much ever, kind of how EJ is trending. How long do the Bills have to wait on him for him to show something? If he was all that he would have locked up this QB battle weeks ago.

Edited by old school

Except EJ, he sucks.

Not sure what you are saying here. I would have rather not spend yet another year to find out if its true or not.

:shrug: I'll agree to disagree here. I do believe there are times where it would have been a good idea to take a QB over what we did, but our 2015 3rd round pick was the correct choice for our situation at the time IMO.

Fair enough as you are entitled to your opinion. I just disagree with that.

Why wouldn't u have the John Miller pick and let EJ develop like he was intended to do?

BRAVO!! ENCORE!!

But how long can we wait ? Winning windows are narrow in the NFL. Note that I am not supporting or 'hating' on EJ. I am simply saying that considering we are still asking ourselves that question, I would rather err on the side of having one too many good QBs.

Your argument is that because no coach has come out and said EJ has regressed, he hasn't. Is that it?

In my opinion, EJ has not regressed. He is an NFL QB on a pro team. He has not regressed. Yes, I said to myself as soon as we got Cassel and Tyrod, that if he can't beat out those guys, then I'm gracefully getting off the EJ bandwagon. And ya know what, the starter hasn't been named yet. Not that I expect him to start. He's got an uphill battle to get to be the starter.

What pisses me off, is when you and your buddies sit around cracking immature jokes about how we should blame Whaley, blame nix, blame this blame that for our QB troubles, when the fact is, is franchise QB's are hard to come by.

I'd say give EJ a chance, but yeah, the time has passed for that, I agree its now or never. I see value in keeping him around for the time being.

And I don't want to insult you either, FC, and I don't want this to be like a fued, OK.

the fact is, is franchise QB's are hard to come by.

Ryan Grigson might be one of the worst gms in all of football. He lucked into a franchise qb and his job is safe. Even though the majority of his free agent signings are busts, his draft picks aren't anything to write home about, and he has been absolutely destroyed in trades (1st for T-Rich on top of Hughes for Shephard). His job though is perfectly safe. "Being a GM in the NFL is hard"

Ryan Grigson might be one of the worst gms in all of football. He lucked into a franchise qb and his job is safe. Even though the majority of his free agent signings are busts, his draft picks aren't anything to write home about, and he has been absolutely destroyed in trades (1st for T-Rich on top of Hughes for Shephard). His job though is perfectly safe. "Being a GM in the NFL is hard"

Well said! Then there are these guys that want to skewer EJ and Whaley for our QB troubles. It's just completely unreasonable to me.

Rex said today that EJ is "absolutely" still in the mix as the starter, they are going to reevaluate after tonight's game and then develop a strategy for the next two.

Edit: Rex did not say "absolutely" that EJ was still in it, but rather "swore" to Albert Breer that EJ was still in it. Same thing just not that word. The direct tweets are below.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Rex said today that EJ is "absolutely" still in the mix as the starter, they are going to reevaluate after tonight's game and then develop a strategy for the next two.

I have felt this whole time, that Rex is playing a shell game with all of us. Especially with the three guys in the competition.

Edited by mastershake

How about who Hughes was traded for? Did the Bills give up on 3rd round pick, K Sheppard too soon? 4 years and out of the league, I don't understand why the pro EJ crowd does not think this can also happen to EJ.

Point is GM miss on guys all the time. Some guys never show much ever, kind of how EJ is trending. How long do the Bills have to wait on him for him to show something? If he was all that he would have locked up this QB battle weeks ago.

I'm not going to give up on EJ until after this season plays out. When they drafted him I thought three years was a reasonable time frame for a project QB to show what he's got.

So that means you guys only have a few moths left to do your "happy dance" if EJ does get the boot because he never takes hold of the starting QB job this season.

As for his slow development this training camp, this is a brand new offense and they are going against the league's #1 defense. I wasn't expecting to see EJ or any of the QBs tear it up this training camp.

I have felt this whole time, that Rex is playing a shell game with all of us. Especially with the three guys in the competition.

I have felt this the whole time simply because in order for it not to be the case, one of the three had to blow the other two away and that didn't happen, or one of the three had to completely crap the bed in practice and the scrimmage and the game and that hasn't happened. After tonight we will know a little more. If TT goes off and sparkles that is the only way I see the situation changing much.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

In my opinion, EJ has not regressed. He is an NFL QB on a pro team. He has not regressed. Yes, I said to myself as soon as we got Cassel and Tyrod, that if he can't beat out those guys, then I'm gracefully getting off the EJ bandwagon. And ya know what, the starter hasn't been named yet. Not that I expect him to start. He's got an uphill battle to get to be the starter.

What pisses me off, is when you and your buddies sit around cracking immature jokes about how we should blame Whaley, blame nix, blame this blame that for our QB troubles, when the fact is, is franchise QB's are hard to come by.

I'd say give EJ a chance, but yeah, the time has passed for that, I agree its now or never. I see value in keeping him around for the time being.

And I don't want to insult you either, FC, and I don't want this to be like a fued, OK.

But you just said.

Is EJ Manuel better than he was in 2013? Is he worse? Is he the same?

Now you know darn well none of us have seen him enough to answer that.

We all saw the gorgeous pass he threw so we know he's capable of that. That was a "how you gonna cut me" kinda throw.

So you can answer that?

This is the problem. The contradictions in what we can say and what we can't.

JoKe B is somewhere in Cleveland crying in his pillow. :lol:

All Albert Breer tweets...

@AlbertBreer: At any rate, Rex/Bills plan to reassess QB battle after playing Browns -- "We’ll regroup and go from there for the third and fourth games."

Rex also swore EJ is still in it, and when I asked if he has a leader in his head, answered, "Absolutely … No. I’m just kidding. I think you saw our first preseason game, you’d know why I can honestly answer that question and say, no, there is none."

I asked Rex if there's a timetable on naming a QB, to be fair to the team, he told me, "The big thing is to be fair, period. It’s a critical decision for us, and we’re gonna make the right decision. However long that needs to go in our mind, that’s what we’ll do. If that means taking it to the first game, that’s what we’ll do."

@AlbertBreer: That said, Matt Cassel's been much better in camp than he was in spring, largely bc his foot is healed. So it's a complicated call for Rex.

@AlbertBreer: Rex discussed trading for Tyrod Taylor when he was still w/NYJ. He's long liked him. And players can see Rex is intrigued with starting him.

@AlbertBreer: Didn't do a dot-com report from Bills camp, but I'll give you this -- A good performance from Tyrod Taylor tonight could win him the job.

EDIT: Rex didn't say "Absolutely" about EJ still in it, he "swore" that EJ was still in it.

But you just said.

So you can answer that?

This is the problem. The contradictions in what we can say and what we can't.

Dude, you gave me a baited question, I backed off answering it knowing full well that's what you were doing. Then after attempting to hold my feet in the fire over said question, I answered, in my opinion. Now you're twisting words and trying to throw it back in my face. You become less and less reasonable and salient with each post, and you're bait and switch tactics are transparent.

Qiut being such a curmudgeon, and admit we don't really know what we have with him, as most reasonable people do.

With your pic of stupid idiot Orton up there, no less.

Edited by mastershake

Not sure what you are saying here (EJ sucks). I would have rather not spend yet another year to find out if its true or not.

I was being sarcastic.

I think EJ is good and we could win a lot of games this year with him under center. But the people on here who think he does in fact suck and want to get rid of him are really hard for me to understand. If that's you, have fun with it.

Dude, you gave me a baited question, I backed off answering it knowing full well that's what you were doing. Then after attempting to hold my feet in the fire over said question, I answered, in my opinion. Now you're twisting words and trying to throw it back in my face. You become less and less reasonable and salient with each post, and you're bait and switch tactics are transparent.

Qiut being such a curmudgeon, and admit we don't really know what we have with him, as most reasonable people do.

With your pic of stupid idiot Orton up there, no less.

So can we know if he's better, worse or the same? Or can't we?

I'm not going to give up on EJ until after this season plays out. When they drafted him I thought three years was a reasonable time frame for a project QB to show what he's got.

So that means you guys only have a few moths left to do your "happy dance" if EJ does get the boot because he never takes hold of the starting QB job this season.

As for his slow development this training camp, this is a brand new offense and they are going against the league's #1 defense. I wasn't expecting to see EJ or any of the QBs tear it up this training camp.

So I guess this only applies to EJ? MC and TT are exempt from this somehow? Weak!