Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

What is it about EJ that makes him such a polarizing figure in Buffalo sports history. I get the feeling were going to be arguing about him for the next 20 years. Like, seriously, he's not going to be cut, and he's not going to be "out of the league" in 2016. Hes been drafted by a real NFL organization, he's going into his third year, for chrissakes, and he's not going anywhere. The guys got mad football skills, and some team, at some point, is going to get production out of him. But, yeah, it sucks he hasn't led the Bills to the playoffs yet.

To run him out of town because you don't like him, because you think he was a reach at 16 overall? That's nuts, and I seriously ask, which QB's light the league on fire in their first two seasons? No need to answer, I know the names and its a very very short list. Ive made my opinion well known on here and I'm going into this season as a Bills fan, not an EJ supporter or detractor. Might be nice to see people on this board to put down their swords, quit insulting each other for the stance we all are taking on EJ's development.

Hardly a bust, and certainly not a hall of famer. Like most players he falls somewhere in the middle. So, to the people being so absolute on him, and I respect many of the long time posters on here's knowledge. But your astute football knowledge hasn't landed you the big scouting job that you may or may not be qualified for.

Don't even know why I'm hitting the post button, most of youse made your mind up two and a half years ago. And frankly, makes you look stupid.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it about EJ that makes him such a polarizing figure in Buffalo sports history. I get the feeling were going to be arguing about him for the next 20 years. Like, seriously, he's not going to be cut, and he's not going to be "out of the league" in 2016. Hes been drafted by a real NFL organization, he's going into his third year, for chrissakes, and he's not going anywhere. The guys got mad football skills, and some team, at some point, is going to get production out of him. But, yeah, it sucks he hasn't led the Bills to the playoffs yet.

To run him out of town because you don't like him, because you think he was a reach at 16 overall? That's nuts, and I seriously ask, which QB's light the league on fire in their first two seasons? No need to answer, I know the names and its a very very short list. Ive made my opinion well known on here and I'm going into this season as a Bills fan, not an EJ supporter or detractor. Might be nice to see people on this board to put down their swords, quit insulting each other for the stance we all are taking on EJ's development.

Hardly a bust, and certainly not a hall of famer. Like most players he falls somewhere in the middle. So, to the people being so absolute on him, and I respect many of the long time posters on here's knowledge. But your astute football knowledge hasn't landed you the big scouting job that you may or may not be qualified for.

Don't even know why I'm hitting the post button, most of youse made your mind up two and a half years ago. And frankly, makes you look stupid.

Funny, I remember people saying the same thing about Losman when he was here. Losman never did anything after he was out of Buffalo. I expect the same fate for EJ. Wouldn't be surprised if he is out of the league in two years.

Edited by Gordio

@john_wawrow

More to come: Speaking to AP, #Bills QB Manuel doesn't dispute possibility his days in Buffalo might be numbered. pro32.ap.org/article/manuel…

http://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/633385878967177217

#Bills Manuel to AP: "If I play well, it should take care of itself. Whether it's here or whether it's somewhere else, I don't know,"

http://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/633386233322962944

Link to AP story: http://t.co/v9ztueOBsB

For those who didn't see the relevant part of the article, here it is:

Manuel confident he can succeed in Buffalo or somewhere else By JOHN WAWROWAug. 17, 2015 5:21 PM EDT PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) — Bills quarterback EJ Manuel insists he's focused solely on winning back his old starting job.

And yet, the third-year player acknowledged for the first time that his days in Buffalo might be numbered.

"At the end of the day, if I play well, it should take care of itself. Whether it's here or whether it's somewhere else, I don't know," Manuel told The Associated Press on Monday, after the Bills finished a joint practice with the Cleveland Browns.

Asked if he's considered the possibility of playing somewhere else, Manuel gave a mixed response.

"I haven't. I don't know how that works," he said. "But I also understand the business of it. I don't know. All I can do right now is continue to play well."

It seems to me, from the actual quotes, that Manuel understands very well that his fate lies in his own hands, and if he plays well, he'll succeed. He also understands that football is a business, and sometimes players who play well, or play as well as other players on the roster, wind up playing for other teams for various reasons outside the players control.

I take offense to this...oh wait..you were not talking about me...never mind....i will go back to my lurking mode :flirt:

Ok, i am confused...i see Vic Carucci QB breakdown from last night and it sounds like EJ was mediocre last night. From the tweets I saw, it sounded like he had a very strong practice..what gives...can anyone give a more accurate portrayal??

sometimes the variance can be as simple as who watched which players closely during which drills....

He could say any number of other things....like, "I'm still in this competition. Just have to keep playing well."

But isn't that essentially what he says, if you go back and look at the actual article? "EJ Manuel insists he's focused solely on winning back his old starting job....." when asked if he's considered somewhere else, "I haven't" and "All I can do right now is continue to play well".

Edit: I saw a later response, where you pretty much seem to agree

Funny, I remember people saying the same thing about Losman when he was here. Losman never did anything after he was out of Buffalo. I expect the same fate for EJ. Wouldn't be surprised if he is out of the league in two years.

See, that's what I mean, bringing up Losman? What's it gonna be 2030 and were still gonna be complaining about what a bust EJ is? Thanks for helping me prove my point

If I was EJ I'd be hoping for the best and mentally preparing for the worst. So, yeah, I'd be considering the possibility my career might take me elsewhere.

But based on what I've seen & read, the other QBs have not distanced themselves from EJ. They do seem to have a slight edge in Rex's eyes but that's not the same as an insurmountable lead. If I was EJ, I'd still be fighting for the honor of lining up under center on September 13th.

Plus the injury bug just decimated our RB corps. If I was EJ, I'd remember that one or both of other QBs could still get hurt.

Forget the writing on the wall. I don't think anything immutable has been written on that wall just yet. And if I was EJ, I wouldn't be giving up just yet. And I don't think he has.

There are some rumblings that Ray Rice may be our starting RB against Indy. Who would have predicted that, or even considered the possibility, a few short weeks ago? Who really knows what will happen the next few weeks?

Edited by hondo in seattle

Losman showed NO improvement!! Hell, Losman couldn't excel in XFL!!

Kind of like you are in your rant. :thumbsup:

Kind of like you are in your rant. :thumbsup:

Lemme guess, you've been following his career since FSU, you knew he'd never amount to anything even way back then, just ask the Floridians. Trent Edwards, JP Loseman, Rob Johnson, blah blah blah. We've heard it all before. Keep on truckin' brother. Edited by mastershake

JP Losman once threw TWO 80 YD TD passes in a the same QUARTER of a regular season game to Lee Evans. The game even counted and was against real NFL players!

Unfortunately, he literally had one talent: bomb it deep to Lee.

The article title was Bills trump Texans in record-breaking quarterback battle

Here's the write up: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261119034

Quote from the article: Evans and Losman were splendid in the first quarter, connecting
for 205 yards and two 83-yard touchdowns. Evans' first-quarter
performance was a Buffalo record for a period and just shy of the
NFL record for yards receiving in a quarter of 210.

This was the same game that David Carr tied the NFL record (at the time) for consecutive completions in a game. David Carr.

What's my point? Sometimes guys who aren't very good QB's have very good days.

So far I've only ever seen EJ Manuel have decent days, which is why I don't freak out over one solid 50 yard TD pass in pre-season.

If EJ Manuel ever had a day like Losman's day in Houston in a game that actually counted anyone who dared question him would be shouted down and run off this board.

Edited by TheFunPolice

JP Losman once threw TWO 80 YD TD passes in a the same QUARTER of a regular season game to Lee Evans. The game even counted and was against real NFL players!

Quote from the article: Evans and Losman were splendid in the first quarter, connecting

This was the same game that David Carr tied the NFL record (at the time) for consecutive completions in a game. David Carr.

So far I've only ever seen EJ Manuel have decent days, which is why I don't freak out over one solid 50 yard TD pass in pre-season.

If EJ Manuel ever had a day like Losman's day in Houston in a game that actually counted anyone who dared question him would be shouted down and run off this board.

Thing is though, Fun, with all due respect, is he's not JP Loseman. That's not debatable. He's EJ Manuel. As much as you can compare him to the bottom of the barrel, you can compare him to the top of the heap as well. And I don't care, leave him at 3, but I'd love to see a QB that can sling the ball down field. I don't want a glorified running back at QB, and I don't necessarily want a screen pass guy back there either. I want a big play guy.

But most of all, I just wanna see the Bills win, win, win!

Edited by mastershake

Polarizing indeed.... Amongst the fan base but more surprisingly in the media.

The position of QB is polarizing, getting picked first round is polarizing, and getting dubbed with "franchise" title even as a hope is polarizing.

Conflate the three, and you're in for love or hate.

The icing on that polarizing cake is (1) the franchise has failed for TWENTY YEARS, 20, to get any sort of multi season stability at QB. This amidst all the guys they missed out on in that span. (2) yes there are still some folks that have a deep routed opposition to the "athletic QB" types over "conventional pocket passers" anyway.

The missing link for me however remains the media and why pockets of them seem to be nearly gleeful with each errant pass or bobbled snap. It makes me think off camera he's not as amicable as he seems, or they're annoyed at the organizations continuing support despite his deficiencies...

IIRC, the first quarter of that game was also the last time Evans faced press man coverage with no safety help. Making Losman beat you with anything else turned out to be a good strategy.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the Jury is still out on what EJ will or will not be. He is under contract and has money due so cutting him does not make business sense. I am an eternal optimist so I am in hope EJ becomes a serviceable quarterback. but in the meanwhile being the 3rd string QB might not be a bad slot. He was horribly maligned by amateur hour the past 2 years and maybe spending a season learning from Cassel and Roman will be to his benefit next year. Go Bills!

I think the Jury is still out on what EJ will or will not be. He is under contract and has money due so cutting him does not make business sense. I am an eternal optimist so I am in hope EJ becomes a serviceable quarterback. but in the meanwhile being the 3rd string QB might not be a bad slot. He was horribly maligned by amateur hour the past 2 years and maybe spending a season learning from Cassel and Roman will be to his benefit next year. Go Bills!

Sometimes that's a driving factor, other times not. It comes down to the value of other roster spots.

I'm also optimistic about Manuel.

GO BILLS!!!

Thing is though, Fun, with all due respect, is he's not JP Loseman. That's not debatable. He's EJ Manuel. As much as you can compare him to the bottom of the barrel, you can compare him to the top of the heap as well. And I don't care, leave him at 3, but I'd love to see a QB that can sling the ball down field. I don't want a glorified running back at QB, and I don't necessarily want a screen pass guy back there either. I want a big play guy.

But most of all, I just wanna see the Bills win, win, win!

I'm sorry. Are you saying that comparing EJ to Losman or to Peyton Manning are similar endeavors?

I'm not being a wiseass either. I have no idea what you are saying.

I'm sorry. Are you saying that comparing EJ to Losman or to Peyton Manning are similar endeavors?

I'm not being a wiseass either. I have no idea what you are saying.

I'm saying that if you want to compare him to the worst of the worst, its fair to compare to the best. Because I do not believe he's the worst of the worst. I believe he falls as close to Losman as he does to Manning. Those are the two extremes here.

Statistically, he can be compared to the better QB's in similar game starts. Eye test, maybe you can equate him with Losman. There's so many staunch takes of guys on here that are like, "I know football, I know when a guys got it and when he doesn't and he just don't" on here its maddening to me. And all this said, I don't care if he sits at 3rd all season and gets traded, I just don't see where he flat out sucks though. And if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.