Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

I don't have a candidate that "I want". I want whoever gives us the best chance to win. If stats can be used to tear one guy down, why not all of them? Especially if taken in a small sample size, like the last 5 games.

For not having a candidate you want you sure do love to cherry pick your statistics. Tyrod has never played in a game with all of his starters available to him and is largely unproven because Flacco is an ironman who never gets injured. EJ was thrown the keys by Kolb slipping on a wet mat, but he has played 14 games where the best players available were on the field with him. You may not want to acknowledge the difference, and that's fine, but there is one.

Regarding Friday's game, EJ made 'NFL pro passes' because he completed one downfield pass and had 3 drops and 1 underthrow (4/8 w/ 1 off target throw). Tyrod 'reminds you of Trent Edwards' because he completed all short passes even though 3 of his 8 passes were downfield sideline throws and 2 of them hit the receivers' hands, one in the end zone contested by good coverage (5/8 w/ 1 off target throw).

The fact of the matter is that all 3 QB's did something of value and proved they were competent enough to not screw up on Friday, and we as Bills fans should be happy about that. I don't understand why we need to discredit one's throwing ability because of 2 drops and then make excuses for another (when he doesn't need excuses with his performance) by pointing out drops. It's silly.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents:

1) It's news because it's the first time that EJ has said that kind of thing. It's the definition of news and jw is absolutely right.

2) POSSIBLY it's an indication of EJ growing up and a semi-good thing. The only thing I haven't liked about EJ's personality (nothing to do with play) has been his sugar coating and overlooking all bad things and just saying this is good. He was almost Hackett-esque. It's good to have utter confidence but it seemed like he just ignored mistakes like a lot of his followers.

3) It probably was the first time he has come to this, also the definition of news, because when asked right after if he has thought about it before said "No, I haven't." Or something to that affect, before kind of a weird follow up. That means this is the first time he has considered that two weeks into training camp there is a possibility he may not win the job. That really doesn't at all mean he sees the writing on the wall as the title to this and the OP suggests. It's more of a mature outlook. He'd have to be blind or lying or just being diplomatic to say that it wasn't a possibility, especially if Tyrod lights it up this week.

4) there is a fine line for athletes answering questions to reporters as far as confidence goes. They do believe they will win every job, they do believe they will win every game because you need that confidence when you are playing to do your best. But at some point if you are able to take a step back, it's like having two separate lives, your playing life and the real world. Some players never allow the real world to creep in because they think it is a bad thing to have any doubt in your head. Some players can separate the two because they know that they are not going to win every game but they must have 100% confidence when you are playing to play your best. Those two things can coexist.

5) maybe EJ is just maturing.

well put.

jw

Media creates news so they can report news. What's new? They ask questions, get vague answers they don't like from coaches, etc. So they use conjecture to draw up scenarios to report on. It's faux journalism.

oh, really?

at what point did the story feature any conjecture?

EJ was asked if he felt his days were numbered in Buffalo.

he gave an answer in which he said "here or somewhere else, i don't know."

he was then asked a follow up question if he's given any thought to "somewhere else."

he said no, but then went on to say that he understands this being a business.

not sure if i could have spelled out what he said any better in the story. but, my apologies for attempting to derail your overly generalized narrative.

shrug.

jw

I like JW and hope he isn't cut. There is always the practice squad, I wonder if he is eligible?

He is not PS eligible and likely will not be cut.

i believe this jw you speak of used up his practice squad eligibility quite some time ago. and sources close to jw say he hopes he doesn't get cut.

however, at the end of the day, so long as he continues writing well, he's confident the future should take care of itself, whether it's here or somewhere else.

jw

oh, really?

he was then asked a follow up question if he's given any thought to "somewhere else."

not sure if i could have spelled out what he said any better in the story. but, my apologies for attempting to derail your overly generalized narrative.

shrug.

jw

Have you considered writing a story on the competition between Alex Kupper and Garrison Sanborn?

oh, really?

shrug.

jw

i believe this jw you speak of used up his practice squad eligibility quite some time ago. and sources close to jw say he hopes he doesn't get cut.

however, at the end of the day, so long as he continues writing well, he's confident the future should take care of itself, whether it's here or somewhere else.

jw

Did you NOT expect a bunch of "No-duhs" when you released this piece? Of course I painted with broad strokes. It's the same brush the questions and answers were painted with.

My two cents:

1) It's news because it's the first time that EJ has said that kind of thing. It's the definition of news and jw is absolutely right.

2) POSSIBLY it's an indication of EJ growing up and a semi-good thing. The only thing I haven't liked about EJ's personality (nothing to do with play) has been his sugar coating and overlooking all bad things and just saying this is good. He was almost Hackett-esque. It's good to have utter confidence but it seemed like he just ignored mistakes like a lot of his followers.

3) It probably was the first time he has come to this, also the definition of news, because when asked right after if he has thought about it before said "No, I haven't." Or something to that affect, before kind of a weird follow up. That means this is the first time he has considered that two weeks into training camp there is a possibility he may not win the job. That really doesn't at all mean he sees the writing on the wall as the title to this and the OP suggests. It's more of a mature outlook. He'd have to be blind or lying or just being diplomatic to say that it wasn't a possibility, especially if Tyrod lights it up this week.

4) there is a fine line for athletes answering questions to reporters as far as confidence goes. They do believe they will win every job, they do believe they will win every game because you need that confidence when you are playing to do your best. But at some point if you are able to take a step back, it's like having two separate lives, your playing life and the real world. Some players never allow the real world to creep in because they think it is a bad thing to have any doubt in your head. Some players can separate the two because they know that they are not going to win every game but they must have 100% confidence when you are playing to play your best. Those two things can coexist.

5) maybe EJ is just maturing.

I agree. And I think part of that maturing is... Seeing the writing on the wall. EJ had to think it was a race between him and Cassel a month ago. Now.... He's playing exclusively with the 3s. That pretty much says it all. Certainly when you add his answer to the questions, it looks as though EJ, himself, is even seeing that he's all but lost this race.

For me, I'll hold off speculation until after this upcoming game. Perhaps Rex really is just giving everyone a clear shot to compete. This is Taylor's week to shine. Next week is EJs. I don't really know. But after the Browns game, if EJ isn't back practicing with the 1s, then the QB competition is essentially over.

The same people who got over RJ and got over JP will get over EJ.... and if/when the Bills make another big investment in another flawed QB, they will fall in love all over again. Rinse and repeat.

I agree as well. We're just fans. I say we, because I'm one of them. I want EJ to be the starter because he's been the Bill the longest and therefore, I support him the most. However, myself and I would hope everyone, will be 100% behind whomever is the starter week 1 even if its Simms. Granted, at this point, I'll be unsure about any of the QBs. Because lets face it, none of them have shown to be consistent winners in the NFL.

Did you NOT expect a bunch of "No-duhs" when you released this piece? Of course I painted with broad strokes. It's the same brush the questions and answers were painted with.

Not entirely sure what I expected. Having covered the Bills and EJ, i simply understood that when EJ said "somewhere else," it was the first time he's done so. And to be fair to EJ and the story, I asked a follow up question.

I then proceeded to do my job.

That you might have difficulty understanding exactly what news is, is not something I can help you with.

jw

Regarding Friday's game, EJ made 'NFL pro passes' because he completed one downfield pass and had 3 drops and 1 underthrow (4/8 w/ 1 off target throw). Tyrod 'reminds you of Trent Edwards' because he completed all short passes even though 3 of his 8 passes were downfield sideline throws and 2 of them hit the receivers' hands, one in the end zone contested by good coverage (5/8 w/ 1 off target throw).

I've been meaning to ask this. I keep reading that Tyrod's passes to Goodwin and Thompson in the EZ "hit them in the hands". Could you see this on TV? I couldn't. They only showed it once and didn't show a close up. I watched them both several time and could not determine if they did or not. Could you? I'm not even sure they got one hand on either one. Or is there some close up picture showing where the football was? What did you personally see? Tasker siad Goodwin should have caught the first one so I'm gonna go with that. Looked to me that both passes were close but not perfect. Close is good in hand gernades and horseshoes.

I thought all 3 guys played very well. I just need to see Tyrod hit some passes that are longer than traveling 10 yards in the air. The running stuff is fun, but not a sustainable way to win IMHO.

Whoever Rex picks, I'm on board 100%.

right, now i remember what sharing exhanges on this board is like.

some folks think they're big shots, hiding in the comfort of their anonymity, pretending to suggest i have an agenda or something,and having difficulty accepting something that's written because it doesn't follow their point of view.

right ...

jw

I've been meaning to ask this. I keep reading that Tyrod's passes to Goodwin and Thompson in the EZ "hit them in the hands". Could you see this on TV? I couldn't. They only showed it once and didn't show a close up. I watched them both several time and could not determine if they did or not. Could you? I'm not even sure they got one hand on either one. Or is there some close up picture showing where the football was? What did you personally see? Tasker siad Goodwin should have caught the first one so I'm gonna go with that. Looked to me that both passes were close but not perfect. Close is good in hand gernades and horseshoes.

I thought all 3 guys played very well. I just need to see Tyrod hit some passes that are longer than traveling 10 yards in the air. The running stuff is fun, but not a sustainable way to win IMHO.

IMO, the Thompson pass was in the right spot, but the Goodwin pass wasn't. They were both right at the sideline. The situations were different, though. Whether it was intentional or not, Tyrod has to know that the two different situations require two different passes. There was more that went into it in terms of the pass protection and route running, though, and honestly, mastering these kind of nuances is more than I expect out of Tyrod.

some folks think they're big shots, hiding in the comfort of their anonymity, pretending to suggest i have an agenda or something,and having difficulty accepting something that's written because it doesn't follow their point of view.

right ...

jw

Well if you take 100 random people anywhere you're going to get approximately ten great ones, twenty good ones, forty average ones, twenty lousy ones and ten absolute idiots. ;)

I just like our top 30 more than any place else.

It'd be too bad, really. One injury-shortened season, and one where he was pulled a quarter of the way in. A fifth-round pick would be given more of a chance.

Well if you take 100 random people anywhere you're going to get approximately ten great ones, twenty good ones, forty average ones, twenty lousy ones and ten absolute idiots. ;)

Yes, but if you adjust for number of posts, the bottom 30 create two-thirds of the content. More if you eliminate me as an outlier.

IMO, the Thompson pass was in the right spot, but the Goodwin pass wasn't. They were both right at the sideline. The situations were different, though. Whether it was intentional or not, Tyrod has to know that the two different situations require two different passes. There was more that went into it in terms of the pass protection and route running, though, and honestly, mastering these kind of nuances is more than I expect out of Tyrod.

I remember thinking that the Goodwin pass caught a bit of wind...it was gusting a bit more than you might've been able to tell up there (not sure if you were at the game), and it looked like Goodwin had to make a late adjustment based on the ball drifting a bit (it was floated pretty high up there).

It'd be too bad, really. One injury-shortened season, and one where he was pulled a quarter of the way in. A fifth-round pick would be given more of a chance.

Yes, but if you adjust for number of posts, the bottom 30 create two-thirds of the content. More if you eliminate me as an outlier.

The minority rules.

right ...

jw

Welcome to the board, beers in the fridge. :beer:

Not entirely sure what I expected. Having covered the Bills and EJ, i simply understood that when EJ said "somewhere else," it was the first time he's done so. And to be fair to EJ and the story, I asked a follow up question.

I then proceeded to do my job.

That you might have difficulty understanding exactly what news is, is not something I can help you with.

jw

Come on, John. Readers all over the place have lost the sense of journalism. If they don't agree with what you're reporting, you must be a muckraker. If you write what they want to hear, you're a tremendous reporter. The cable news networks are to blame, serving up entertainment packaged as "news", mutilating the intelligence of Americans.

Edited by scribo

you guys are great (but don't quote me on that)

jw

I do not have pictures, but there are reports on each that it was close enough to be a drop. On Goodwin's here is ESPN's official play-by-play log:

(15:00) T.Taylor pass incomplete deep left to M.Goodwin [F.Alexander]. Through receiver's hands, along sideline at CAR 8.

As for the would-be TD, here's an excerpt from Buffalo News Blitz

Then, Taylor somehow spins away from a sack to scramble left and hits Karlos Williams for 13 yards in Buffalo’s 25-24 loss Friday night. Then, he has a potential 40-yarder to Marquise Goodwin dropped. Then, another 20-yard touchdown to Thompson dropped, which Whaley brings up.