Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember thinking that the Goodwin pass caught a bit of wind...it was gusting a bit more than you might've been able to tell up there (not sure if you were at the game), and it looked like Goodwin had to make a late adjustment based on the ball drifting a bit (it was floated pretty high up there).

Maybe. I wasn't at the game. There's definitely a lot more that goes into it than we know. And, of course, it's just the first pre-season game. For anyone here that wants to analyze it, you have to consider a lot of things. One thing I know for sure is that he made a good read on both plays. Barely missed TD opportunities.

Come on, John. Readers all over the place have lost the sense of journalism. If they don't agree with what you're reporting, you must be a muckraker. If you write what they want to hear, you're a tremendous reporter. The cable news networks are to blame, serving up entertainment packages as "news" is mutilating the intelligence of Americans.

i won't speak in regards to the cable networks.

i can only speak for myself in having, i believe, established a reputation for reporting the facts, whether people (ej supporters, jon bon jovi, doug marrone) like them or not.

jw

i won't speak in regards to the cable networks.

i can only speak for myself in having, i believe, established a reputation for reporting the facts, whether people (ej supporters, jon bon jovi, doug marrone) like them or not.

jw

My point is that the problem is much larger than you or your reputation. It has become cultural.

Why is this such a big deal?

It shouldn't be.

EJ said something that is obvious and an article was written about it to get people talking about the possibility of him being moved somewhere else.

It reminds me of the Vic Carucci article titled "EJ Manuel will be Buffalo Bills starting QB or not on team" back in May.

IMO, the Thompson pass was in the right spot, but the Goodwin pass wasn't. They were both right at the sideline. The situations were different, though. Whether it was intentional or not, Tyrod has to know that the two different situations require two different passes. There was more that went into it in terms of the pass protection and route running, though, and honestly, mastering these kind of nuances is more than I expect out of Tyrod.

My theory is that Rex and Greg called these passes because they are hard and to see how Tyrod would do with them. Based on what I saw on TV, they both looked close but not close enough.

I do not have pictures, but there are reports on each that it was close enough to be a drop. On Goodwin's here is ESPN's official play-by-play log:

As for the would-be TD, here's an excerpt from Buffalo News Blitz

Thanks. I'm a little hesitant to take someone's word on it. Maybe they're right, don't know. Hopefully Tyrod hits a few NFL man passes the day after tomorrow.

Lol, it shouldn't be.

EJ said something that is obvious and an article was written about it to get people talking about the possibility of him being moved somewhere else.

It reminds me of the Vic Carucci article titled "EJ Manuel will be Buffalo Bills starting QB or not on team" back in May.

Hmmmm?

No unnamed sources were used in this piece. EJ was the one who was quoted. Had he not said what he said, this wouldn't have been a story. But he said what he said, and I wrote it, and quoted what he said.

Again, i think you have an issue when it comes to what news is and isn't.

You suggest that the story was written to get people talking.

Well, when there is news in said story, people are expected to start talking. It's the nature of how news works.

Something happens or is said. The event is then recorded and published. And people respond to it.

It's really a simple equation, I'm not sure how you've failed to grasp it.

jw

It shouldn't be.

Incorrect on both counts. EJ said something that markedly departed from what he's been saying since the beginning of the QB competition. That is newsworthy. The Carucci article was opinion-based. This Warrow article is fact-based. Both articles did not pretend to be more than they were.

right, now i remember what sharing exhanges on this board is like.

some folks think they're big shots, hiding in the comfort of their anonymity, pretending to suggest i have an agenda or something,and having difficulty accepting something that's written because it doesn't follow their point of view.

right ...

jw

I certainly don't have to tell you this.. .but fug em. Usually the people screaming about agendas are the very people with an agenda. Oh well.

If I may be so bold, though, as to ask you to speculate. And I only ask because you've been to all the practices and spoken to all the interested parties, unlike myself or anyone else lurking about here. But, have you witnessed any sort of "intangible" that could be factoring into Rex's decision? Is it a leadership thing? Do the players just respond/act differently with the other QBs? Or is it strictly just he doesn't look as consistent/confident out there?

From outward appearances, it seems to me that all 3 have had their ups and downs, goods and bads. So, it's hard to say who is clearly separating, or falling back. Just looking for added insight is all.

My theory is that Rex and Greg called these passes because they are hard and to see how Tyrod would do with them. Based on what I saw on TV, they both looked close but not close enough.

Thanks. I'm a little hesitant to take someone's word on it. Maybe they're right, don't know. Hopefully Tyrod hits a few NFL man passes the day after tomorrow.

I am truly hoping for some deep middle stuff as opposed to just sideline work (kind of like EJ's TD). And at least the Thompson throw is Whaley's word, which has to count for something :)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Hmmmm?

No unnamed sources were used in this piece. EJ was the one who was quoted. Had he not said what he said, this wouldn't have been a story. But he said what he said, and I wrote it, and quoted what he said.

Again, i think you have an issue when it comes to what news is and isn't.

You suggest that the story was written to get people talking.

Well, when there is news in said story, people are expected to start talking. It's the nature of how news works.

Something happens or is said. The event is then recorded and published. And people respond to it.

It's really a simple equation, I'm not sure how you've failed to grasp it.

jw

I completely agree with that and that's exactly what I said...

I certainly don't have to tell you this.. .but fug em. Usually the people screaming about agendas are the very people with an agenda. Oh well.

If I may be so bold, though, as to ask you to speculate. And I only ask because you've been to all the practices and spoken to all the interested parties, unlike myself or anyone else lurking about here. But, have you witnessed any sort of "intangible" that could be factoring into Rex's decision? Is it a leadership thing? Do the players just respond/act differently with the other QBs? Or is it strictly just he doesn't look as consistent/confident out there?

From outward appearances, it seems to me that all 3 have had their ups and downs, goods and bads. So, it's hard to say who is clearly separating, or falling back. Just looking for added insight is all.

i think it comes down to reliability, who can "manage" the offense the best.

that of course leads to the belief it might be Cassel.

that said, it doesn't have to be him. the Bills are intrigued as to whether Tyrod (and EJ early in camp) can provide that efficiency while adding another dimension to the offense. we'll see if Tyrod can carry over what he did against Panthers backups last week into this week, facing Browns starters.

jw

It is a great country and a great privilege for grown men to be able to gather together on a random Tuesday afternoon and debate whether the words "somewhere else" constitute something being newsworthy or not.

Thank you to all you American veterans out there! Thank you for our freedom! You guys rock! :worthy:

"an article was written about it to get people talking" - Me

I understand (grasp) that is the purpose of the article.

I think you are seeing some of my comments as sarcasm when they are not.

maxresdefault.jpg

It is a great country and a great privilege for grown men to be able to gather together on a random Tuesday afternoon and debate whether the words "somewhere else" constitute something being newsworthy or not.

Thank you to all you American veterans out there! Thank you for our freedom! You guys rock! :worthy:

And a little bit of chicken fried, a cold beer on a Friday night...a pair of jeans that fit just right and the radio uuuuup.

i think it comes down to reliability, who can "manage" the offense the best.

that of course leads to the belief it might be Cassel.

that said, it doesn't have to be him. the Bills are intrigued as to whether Tyrod (and EJ early in camp) can provide that efficiency while adding another dimension to the offense. we'll see if Tyrod can carry over what he did against Panthers backups last week into this week, facing Browns starters.

jw

That's exactly it IMO.

What's funny is that is how it has always been. They wanted a veteran game manager so they sign Cassel. They know he's not great but he can play in the NFL. Rex always liked TT so they sign him and give him a clear chance to win. They already know he can run, and he has a strong arm, the question is can he throw accurately from the pocket well enough. That is playing out exactly as it could be predicted too. They're closer to knowing but don't know. Same with EJ. They don't know and they'll give him a chance. His struggles have been making good decisions and getting the ball out and accuracy. Let's see if he overcomes those. He's improved but hasn't gone as far as he has needed to to supplant the veteran game manager or even the wildcard.

If you take a step back this entire scenario was the most predictable outcome up to this point that there could have been.