Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

They only got 1 first down there didn't they? Wouldn't they have had to reach at least the 21 for it to be 2 first downs? I thought they made it as far as the 19 yard line. But I could be wrong.

They had a 12 play drive there that netted two first downs. They lost yards on a rush and a sack is how they got pushed back to the 19.

Edited by MDH

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only got 1 first down there didn't they? Wouldn't they have had to reach at least the 21 for it to be 2 first downs? I thought they made it as far as the 19 yard line. But I could be wrong.

EJ ran for a first down then connected on third and five with a nice 9 yard out pass to Goodwin. Then they got a penalty so it was 1-15. Then EJ was sacked but the Bills got a third first down on a Browns penalty. Then he got sacked immediately. Then he threw a good 15 yard pass that I thought Dez Lewis dropped over the middle although I didn't see it from a good angle. It was a pretty good pass on 3-15. It was about a ten play drive.

EJ ran for a first down then connected on third and five with a nice 9 yard out pass to Goodwin. Then they got a penalty so it was 1-15. Then EJ was sacked but the Bills got a third first down on a Browns penalty. Then he got sacked immediately. Then he threw a good 15 yard pass that I thought Dez Lewis dropped over the middle although I didn't see it from a good angle. It was a pretty good pass on 3-15. It was about a ten play drive.

The entire game's play by play: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015082052/2015/PRE2/bills@browns#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000513906&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

EJ still looks brutal under pressure, I think he was something like 3-7 for 19 yds until the final drive (on which, coincidentally, they stopped blitzing until we got into the redzone). I think the bar is set so low for QB play that any completion draws praise now. Still, credit him for getting the ball in the endzone and converting the winning 2. He'll make a fine backup.

Thank you for the link. That helps.

And after reviewing the drives again, you can see that the first 3 drives under EJ pretty much flat out sucked, with the exception of the 8 yard run for a first down in the first series.

His last drive does look very good. And it ended on a high note with a TD and 2 point conversion which were good plays.

If that is good enough for you guys then I get it. It just isn't good enough for me. If he had moved the chains and gained 30-40 yards in 2 out of 3 of those first 3 drives, maybe I would feel great about the guy. But they just didn't move the ball well at all until that last possession. I know it is not all EJ's fault. I just don't think he was good enough. A starting quarterback should be able to move the chains a lot more consistently however he has to get it done.

EJ still looks brutal under pressure, I think he was something like 3-7 for 19 yds until the final drive (on which, coincidentally, they stopped blitzing until we got into the redzone). I think the bar is set so low for QB play that any completion draws praise now. Still, credit him for getting the ball in the endzone and converting the winning 2. He'll make a fine backup.

You mean like him escaping pressure to run for a 1st down? or a few other times he either stepped up in the pocke or broke the pocket to make a throw or the winning TD to Davis where it was an all out blitz? Or how about last week's TD strike to Thompson when he was under pressure? Come on man!

And after reviewing the drives again, you can see that the first 3 drives under EJ pretty much flat out sucked, with the exception of the 8 yard run for a first down in the first series.

His last drive does look very good. And it ended on a high note with a TD and 2 point conversion which were good plays.

If that is good enough for you guys then I get it. It just isn't good enough for me. If he had moved the chains and gained 30-40 yards in 2 out of 3 of those first 3 drives, maybe I would feel great about the guy. But they just didn't move the ball well at all until that last possession. I know it is not all EJ's fault. I just don't think he was good enough. A starting quarterback should be able to move the chains a lot more consistently however he has to get it done.

So you are saying Brady and Payton would do much better getting bombard by blitzes behind a 3rd string line? Look at Brady's KC game last year and you will see what happens with poor offensive line play. I am not saying EJ is a HOFer or even the starter for the Bills, but you need to compare the three on equal footing. EJ should have a chance to show his skill or lack there of behind a first team line. Then let the chips fall where they may.

What part did I miss?

Tyrod was playing with 4th string running backs and second string receivers against Cleveland's number ones. Yet he made plays and moved the chains on 3rd down.

I'm wasting my time with this one...

But since you're the one making the comparisons, you should probably note that TT got the 1st team OL, which proved to make a huge difference. Also, TT got sacked on a third down that resulted in a missed field goal.

I thought Taylor and EJ played pretty well given their respective circumstances. I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to spin the narrative to make it so only one of them looked good.

You mean like him escaping pressure to run for a 1st down? or a few other times he either stepped up in the pocke or broke the pocket to make a throw or the winning TD to Davis where it was an all out blitz? Or how about last week's TD strike to Thompson when he was under pressure? Come on man!

Well I was talking about the two 3-and-outs he had - I credited him for a nice final drive. At the end of the day, he scored 8 points in an entire half against Cleveland's 3rd stringers. If that's exciting to the fan base, then my comment about the bar being lowered for expectations still stands.

Well I was talking about the two 3-and-outs he had - I credited him for a nice final drive. At the end of the day, he scored 8 points in an entire half against Cleveland's 3rd stringers. If that's exciting to the fan base, then my comment about the bar being lowered for expectations still stands.

Honest question, did you watch the game? One of those three and outs a defender sprinted at EJ completely unblocked right at the snap. You would have to be pretty cynical to blame him whatsoever for that.

In my opinion, EJ has not regressed. He is an NFL QB on a pro team. He has not regressed. Yes, I said to myself as soon as we got Cassel and Tyrod, that if he can't beat out those guys, then I'm gracefully getting off the EJ bandwagon. And ya know what, the starter hasn't been named yet. Not that I expect him to start. He's got an uphill battle to get to be the starter.

What pisses me off, is when you and your buddies sit around cracking immature jokes about how we should blame Whaley, blame nix, blame this blame that for our QB troubles, when the fact is, is franchise QB's are hard to come by.

I'd say give EJ a chance, but yeah, the time has passed for that, I agree its now or never. I see value in keeping him around for the time being.

And I don't want to insult you either, FC, and I don't want this to be like a fued, OK.

I can relate to this. That's how I felt about all these bozos blaming Jauron, Gailey, Nix, Levy, Brandon, & Donahoe for us not winning when the fact is, it's hard to win in the NFL.

ANY QB would have looked BAD against the porous OLine that I saw int he 3rd QTR!!!

Reading the play by play DOES not meet the EYE TEST!!! It doesn't show ZERO rushing yards and open lanes to the QB now does it.

EJ Haters PLEASE use the negative thread. That's why CBF created it.

CM58V_8WwAAsWP2.png

SHHHHH!!!!

I wasn't exactly blown away by EJ...what's funny is that he threw the ball fine, which is the one thing he hadn't previously done.

He looked flummoxed under the pressure though; a stark contrast to Taylor.

I think he'll make the team, but I don't think he's got a realistic shot to be the starter anymore.

ANY QB would have looked BAD against the porous OLine that I saw int he 3rd QTR!!!

Reading the play by play DOES not meet the EYE TEST!!! It doesn't show ZERO rushing yards and open lanes to the QB now does it.

EJ Haters PLEASE use the negative thread. That's why CBF created it.

SHHHHH!!!!

Actually the play by play does show that when EJ was in there the RBs had <5 yards on like 8 carriers...so....

Interesting to see what the reps will be going forward.