Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

Also Skurski pretty much got the same answers from EJ yesterday. Didn't know if he'd be on team. Said it's out of his control.

So, this is the second time EJ at least that we know where EJ sees some writing that he maybe gone soon.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/31/ej-manuel-on-his-future-in-buffalo-im-still-on-the-team-thus-far/

Nothing the Bills do would surprise me at this point. Im letting go of the argument because its unproductive, ill get onboard with the Tyrod era once he shows a few things. Hes so unproven at this point

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't Skurski ask Cassel what he thinks his chances are of sticking on the team?

Oh, that's right... he's not around. He's sulking somewhere.

It's also not as fun to ask cassel.

What is a bit ironic is that EJ seems to be handleing it a lot better than Cassel. Cassel who has been on several teams and lost/won jobs several times, I would have thought Cassel would have handled it better than EJ.

I really think EJ thought he had a chance to win the competition. He played better than I have ever seen him play, and I really think he played to compete. Not just to try to audition for other teams. If we trade him, I wouldn't be surprised. But I would prefer to keep EJ and cut cassel. or keep both. but EJ should stay and develop.

What is a bit ironic is that EJ seems to be handleing it a lot better than Cassel. Cassel who has been on several teams and lost/won jobs several times, I would have thought Cassel would have handled it better than EJ.

I really think EJ thought he had a chance to win the competition. He played better than I have ever seen him play, and I really think he played to compete. Not just to try to audition for other teams. If we trade him, I wouldn't be surprised. But I would prefer to keep EJ and cut cassel. or keep both. but EJ should stay and develop.

Doesn't that teel you that he had little to no chance to win the starting job with coaching staff?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Doesn't that teel you that he had little to no chance to win the starting job with coaching staff?

Not really. They see the development. I remember when Rex first arrived he said "I'd like to see EJ use his legs more". I believe that's what won Taylor the job. He was willing to keep drives alive by using his legs and EJ relied on his arm. The 4th and 3 against Pittsburgh did EJ in, IMO.

Not really. They see the development. I remember when Rex first arrived he said "I'd like to see EJ use his legs more". I believe that's what won Taylor the job. He was willing to keep drives alive by using his legs and EJ relied on his arm. The 4th and 3 against Pittsburgh did EJ in, IMO.

I can agree that Taylor's mobility won him the job, but I don't think it came down to one play. I wish EJ would run a little bit more. I really do think he's better than Taylor, overall, but not by too much. I'm just glad Cassel isn't starting.

good analogy

EJ played to compete, Cassel played to show us he can manage a game with dinks and dunks?

I can agree that Taylor's mobility won him the job, but I don't think it came down to one play. I wish EJ would run a little bit more. I really do think he's better than Taylor, overall, but not by too much. I'm just glad Cassel isn't starting.

I think greater consistency, plus stuff we really can't diagnose definitively (what the play and protections were supposed to be, what adjustments were supposed to be made) won Taylor the job. A couple of times when it seemed as though EJ probably didn't read the D correctly or make the correct adjustments - if this was something Taylor consistently did better in practice, that would kinda clinch the deal.

That would be odd since EJ did get 2 1st downs by running and the 4th and 3 pass was tipped. EJ was making making accurate throws and good decisions but once he was no longer with the first team "the writing was on the wall." What that writing said is not clear though and to EJs credit, he never acted like he was done.

As far as the OP goes, let's play a game of logic from EJ's POV. If I am not taking 1st team snaps, I am not really competiing to start. If I am not the starter, the Bills may decide against keepinng me on the roster. If I am not on the roster then I will be elsewhere. Have I spent any time contemplating where "elsewhere" might be or what it might mean to my career? Not really. I am focused on learning this offense and trying to perform well each and every chance I get, whatever the circumstances.

I do not see a story there.

That would be odd since EJ did get 2 1st downs by running and the 4th and 3 pass was tipped. EJ was making making accurate throws and good decisions but once he was no longer with the first team "the writing was on the wall." What that writing said is not clear though and to EJs credit, he never acted like he was done.

As far as the OP goes, let's play a game of logic from EJ's POV. If I am not taking 1st team snaps, I am not really competiing to start. If I am not the starter, the Bills may decide against keepinng me on the roster. If I am not on the roster then I will be elsewhere. Have I spent any time contemplating where "elsewhere" might be or what it might mean to my career? Not really. I am focused on learning this offense and trying to perform well each and every chance I get, whatever the circumstances.

I do not see a story there.

That's because there wasn't one! Everything you say is true. The issue was not that what was reported was inaccurate, it was instead what we were supposed to conclude from what was said that was ridiculous.

Also Skurski pretty much got the same answers from EJ yesterday. Didn't know if he'd be on team. Said it's out of his control.

So, this is the second time EJ at least that we know where EJ sees some writing that he maybe gone soon.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/31/ej-manuel-on-his-future-in-buffalo-im-still-on-the-team-thus-far/

Yup. it's the second time EJ, when confronted with a loaded question like, do you think you might get cut or traded, that he honestly answers that it's always a possibility but that he is doing what is under his control and is not concerned with that which is not. Yup. He absolutely believes he's a gonner!! Stop the presses!!

Dude, maybe if you close your eyes, and wish really hard, you make can make it come true!

Edited by BuffaloBob

That's because there wasn't one! Everything you say is true. The issue was not that what was reported was inaccurate, it was instead what we were supposed to conclude from what was said that was ridiculous.

Yup. it's the second time EJ, when confronted with a loaded question like, do you think you might get cut or traded, that he honestly answers that it's always a possibility but that he is doing what is under his control and is not concerned with that which is not. Yup. He absolutely believes he's a gonner!! Stop the presses!!

Dude, maybe if you close your eyes, and wish really hard, you make can make it come true!

As an EJ supporter, I was willing to give Taylor a nice 4 game look. But after reading articles like that one I'm not going to put a time limit on my support for Taylor. I'm tired of the local media trying to embarrass EJ with stupid loaded questions. I think the Bills are being short-sighted thinking that Taylor is going to last more than a few years with his style of play. Rex got it wrong and every EJ Manuel supporter know this. They know he's turned the corner. If the media wants a QB controversy than they are doing a good job of getting me worked up for one.

I almost wish EJ glared at the reporter and said, "Dude, I'm the best QB on this team and you can quote me on that. I'm going to become a franchise QB either here or somewhere else. Any other questions?"

Edited by 1billsfan

As an EJ supporter, I was willing to give Taylor a nice 4 game look. But after reading articles like that one I'm not going to put a time limit on my support for Taylor. I'm tired of the local media trying to embarrass EJ with stupid loaded questions. I think the Bills are being short-sighted thinking that Taylor is going to last more than a few years with his style of play. Rex got it wrong and every EJ Manuel supporter know this. They know he's turned the corner. If the media wants a QB controversy than they are doing a good job of getting me worked up for one.

I almost wish EJ glared at the reporter and said, "Dude, I'm the best QB on this team and you can quote me on that. I'm going to become a franchise QB either here or somewhere else. Any other questions?"

Didnt you get the memo? Were goin 19-0 with Tyrod

EJ is, for better or for worse, not that brash, in your face kind of guy. On the one hand I get where you are coming from. On the other hand, I think EJs teammates respect him for not being like that. Also, I thought his biggest improvement was the way he went about his business in the first two games when he did not have the ones in front of him, and had to endure a lot of adversity. He remained cool, calm and collected, even when Urbik was blowing snaps, his TEs were dropping first down passes, and he was running for his life a good deal of the time. In the end, I believe that it is this kind of personality that will have the most success under the most dire of circumstances.

I am an EJ supporter, but I also really do like Tyrod and I'm excited to see what he can do. I too share the concerns of how long he can avoid injury, but I am happy for him because he is also a great story and I think he made it a very difficult choice. I feel badly for EJ that he didn't have this coaching staff from the beginning, but he didn't and that's how it goes. I am also happy for EJ because I think his hard work and perseverance is starting to pay off.

EJ is, for better or for worse, not that brash, in your face kind of guy. On the one hand I get where you are coming from. On the other hand, I think EJs teammates respect him for not being like that. Also, I thought his biggest improvement was the way he went about his business in the first two games when he did not have the ones in front of him, and had to endure a lot of adversity. He remained cool, calm and collected, even when Urbik was blowing snaps, his TEs were dropping first down passes, and he was running for his life a good deal of the time. In the end, I believe that it is this kind of personality that will have the most success under the most dire of circumstances.

I am an EJ supporter, but I also really do like Tyrod and I'm excited to see what he can do. I too share the concerns of how long he can avoid injury, but I am happy for him because he is also a great story and I think he made it a very difficult choice. I feel badly for EJ that he didn't have this coaching staff from the beginning, but he didn't and that's how it goes. I am also happy for EJ because I think his hard work and perseverance is starting to pay off.

Just for the record, that was Kupper with the bad snaps. Urbik was playing Guard. Beyond that your sentiments are dead on IMO.

I agree it didn't come down to one play. I thought Astro's last practice report was revealing combined with others. Unlike un-game-planned "vanilla" preseason game Ds, the coaches threw everything and the sink, defensively, at the O in practice. I think overall Taylor handled it the most consistently, EJ showed (perhaps unexpectedly good) progress, and overall Cassel was unexpectedly poor.

I read something in Hope Solo's book about how she got cut off the national team as a talented young player: there was a defensive play that one of the veteran players missed, Hope said something, the vet told her off, and Hope backed down. The coach, in cutting her, told her that she was absolutely right, the vet was wrong, and the incident showed she wasn't ready to play at that level yet, that she needed to build the confidence to stand up against anyone when she was right and back them down (most would say Hope took it a bit too far, but that's another story).

I think EJ will be ready to start when he is at the point where he can, in fact, glare at the reporter and say "I believe I'm the best QB on this team and I'm going to be The Man either here or elsewhere" as well as glare at a receiver who mis-runs a route and tell him to get it right or he won't throw to him (a la Orton).

EJ is, for better or for worse, not that brash, in your face kind of guy.

OK, fine, so instead of glaring he can look calmly and collectedly at the reporter and say "I'm the best QB on this team and I will succeed here or elsewhere". Which actually, is not that far off of what Wawrow reported he said (absent the critical "best QB on this team" part)

Just for the record, that was Kupper with the bad snaps. Urbik was playing Guard. Beyond that your sentiments are dead on IMO.

Ahhh, did they replace Kupper with Urbik after that series? I was trying to pick out the number after the second bad snap, but from where I was sitting, I couldn't Then it seemed the next series, Urbik was in there.