EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

The counter to your point is... what if he is a one read and go guy? What a the point of all the options you mentioned when he wont give them time to work?

That's what we'll find out on Thursday, at least we'll get more of a glimpse. I have to believe that if the coaches feel he's a one read kinda guy, he won't win the job.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel also had that nice in stride pass to Sammy that was called back on Matthew Muttonhead's pass interference. Sammy was wide open but it was a nice ball in perfect stride nonetheless.

That was a nice play to see from above. Cassell made a terrific pass there. But it seemed like his passes take forever to arrive for the most part.

GO BILLS!!!

Did not look good to you? What game were you watching? The bad snaps were not his fault at all...He had one bad throw on the run after he had a beautiful escape on a sure sack...The pass to Goodwin was a dart that was catch-able...The two drops by the TE's were bad drops...The TD pass was perfect...Plus he stepped up in the pocket away from pressure on that TD throw...

I thought EJ looked fine tonight... B-)

My thoughts, exactly -and I'm not an EJ believer.

He's still in the perplexing mix. Each QB has a unique skillset and G-Ro has already put in plays that appear to be player specific. There is no clear cut winner. Which means we'll all be screaming for a/the backup every time the eventually named starter struggles...

Oh boy!

26 agreed.....but dont you think that Roman probably likes Tyrod as well? He does everything Roman likes in his offense

HoF.....that actually does not translate to what Rex has done in the past....

Geno Smith

Buttfumble

Both guys.....not the safest qb

Cannot argue this, but TT has to execute from the pocket to keep defenses honest. I hope he can.

The counter to your point is... what if he is a one read and go guy? What a the point of all the options you mentioned when he wont give them time to work?

I think he proved last night he's not. There were at least two times when he scrambled and still looked downfield and got the pass off. One to Williams was just a terrific play. A couple of his runs he took off quick right up the middle. Granted, the knock on him is sometimes he takes off a little too fast and I believe that's true. But he will look to throw when there is room. I think he made very good decisions yesterday.

Every post you make on Rex has your "he brings a trashy environment" line of thinking attached to it -- including this one. You don't like the guy, you've been very vocal about it. Don't run from it. Your fears about Rex, that he plays not to lose, is not demonstrable at all from his past history -- yet you're clinging to it because you're looking for reasons to temper expectations about a coach you don't like.

Let it go, enjoy the ride. This team is going to win a lot of games this season. Rex will be a big reason why.

Nope.

I feel exactly as I stated above. I expect lots of success with Rex Ryan, and will enjoy it plenty, but I think he has some major flaws, and don't like the kind of guys he brings in.

When they win, I will give him all the credit I think he deserves.

I am much more worried about the lack of a quality QB, than anything Rex Ryan does, or doesn't do. He has nothing to work with right now, and it's not his fault.

As far as my assertions about him being conservative...

Geno forced on him...http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/4/7335427/the-toxic-downfall-of-rex-ryans-jets

"Conservative to a fault"....http://www.footballperspective.com/rex-ryan-fired/

I didn't have to search very hard to find these same assessments from other people.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Its just crazy ! 3 quite different types of players. Each showed something decent last night.

Thats the first time i have seen Tyrod. I truly think he is a threat. And runs smarter than i imagined. and man is he quick!

Refines some of his pocket presence and he might be the best one.

Seemed to me that Rex wants him to run though?

Cassels in the sand is better than i thought. His experience showed. But his arm is soo much weaker.

I guess we could do worse.

Now to EJ.

He looked much better than last time i saw him. He seems to be field aware and showed the patience under pressure.

None of these guys played like all the media twits have painted them>

I feel Bills have hope again!!

If you could throw all three into the transmogrifier and get one with all the qualities. Bills would rule the earth

BTW and this is huge

Good NFL coaching really does make the difference. and it's already showing

Lets go Bills!

So many people want to claim that EJ is not being treated fairly.

Why is that? Why are so many fans so resistant to him being the guy?

It's easy: because we've seen him fail and look pitiful for two seasons now. One nice deep pass doesn't change that.

I saw him lead a team against a good Carolina D on a game winning TD. He beat Chicago and Miami to start last year. The Chargers killed us as a team, Defense too and he was MURDERED against Texans and still was in it at the end. I'm not calling him Tom Terrific but I wish he had 1. Legitimate coaching in his first two years. 2. played all of last year and gotten the live reps. Who honestly cares that Saint Dougy of the Morons got to 9-7 last year? We would not be having this discussion had EJ played. he would have been already cut or the presumptive starter. Cassel is Orton!!!!! Cassel will always be Orton!!!! No More Effing Ortons!!!!!!

I think Rex secretly loves EJ and wants him to man up. I think he's trying to bury him to light a fire under his ass and to see what he's made of. It's undeniable, that TD pass was gorgeous, and I don't see Orton or Tyrod hitting those kind of passes.

I think Rex secretly loves EJ and wants him to man up. I think he's trying to bury him to light a fire under his ass and to see what he's made of. It's undeniable, that TD pass was gorgeous, and I don't see Orton or Tyrod hitting those kind of passes.

You might be right on with that take.

At the next practice, EJ should punch IK Enemkpali in the face.

I saw him lead a team against a good Carolina D on a game winning TD. He beat Chicago and Miami to start last year. The Chargers killed us as a team, Defense too and he was MURDERED against Texans and still was in it at the end. I'm not calling him Tom Terrific but I wish he had 1. Legitimate coach ing in his first two years. 2. played all of last year and gotten the live reps. Who honestly cares that Saint Dougy of the Morons got to 9-7 last year? We would not be having this discussion had EJ played. he would have been already cut or the presumptive starter. Cassel is Orton!!!!! Cassel will always be Orton!!!! No More Effing Ortons!!!!!!

I don't know how a person could be so vociferously against another Orton and pro-EJ. At this point, Ortonish is EJ's ceiling. At best he'll become a manager, with apparently little fire and a slow-moving game mind.

I think Rex secretly loves EJ and wants him to man up. I think he's trying to bury him to light a fire under his ass and to see what he's made of. It's undeniable, that TD pass was gorgeous, and I don't see Orton or Tyrod hitting tpasses.

I don't think Rex loves EJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if the snaps were part of a plot to see how he'd react. I think Rex wants a leader with some fire-could be he wanted to see if EJ would step up and let the center have it or not. I think it was Urbik? He's not THAT bad on shotgun snaps.

And in terms of that throw-that's a wide open reciever in the middle of the field without anyone pressuring. Anybody that can throw a football 40 yards could make it, and certainly any qb in camp could once in a while. What matters is consistency, and until it happens again doesn't mean much.

I don't know how a person could be so vociferously against another Orton and pro-EJ. At this point, Ortonish is EJ's ceiling. At best he'll become a manager, with apparently little fire and a slow-moving game mind.

I don't think Rex loves EJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if the snaps were part of a plot to see how he'd react. I think Rex wants a leader with some fire-could be he wanted to see if EJ would step up and let the center have it or not. I think it was Urbik? He's not THAT bad on shotgun snaps.

And in terms of that throw-that's a wide open reciever in the middle of the field without anyone pressuring. Anybody that can throw a football 40 yards could make it, and certainly any qb in camp could once in a while. What matters is consistency, and until it happens again doesn't mean much.

It wasn't Urbik it was Alex Kupper in his first game, and the TD was not at all to a wide open WR the DB was right with him. Unless it was a perfect pass it's no TD.

https://twitter.com/sbnationgif/status/632365166412169216

While I think that EJ ends up being our #3, I don't think that's any reason to cut him... I am pleasantly surprised how this roster has turned over in just a couple years... We now have 3 QBs that could manage this team, which is much unlike years past when Brohm was our #3....

At the next practice, EJ should punch IK Enemkpali in the face.

I think people would like/like him more if he did. Hell it wouldn't matter who he punched. If he threw a punch I think people would like him more (unless it was fred, sammy or rex).

Edited by The Wiz

Finally, someone has come around to my type of thinking. Thinking he wants EJ to see both of other QBs attributes so he can incorporate them into his game seeing that he has both of their skill sets. It just seems to me like the local media is looking for a Russell Wilson type QB, putting them on Team Tyrod. I'm wondering what's wrong with having a Steve McNair/Cam Newton type QB who I think EJ Manuel reminds me of?

I think people would like/like him more if he did. Hell it wouldn't matter who he punched. If he threw a punch I think people would like him more (unless it was fred, sammy or rex).

I agree, I was only half joking. I think EJM would be more successful if he showed some fire, and got across that he can lead a team

Finally, someone has come around to my type of thinking. Thinking he wants EJ to see both of other QBs attributes so he can incorporate them into his game seeing that he has both of their skill sets. It just seems to me like the local media is looking for a Russell Wilson type QB, putting them on Team Tyrod. I'm wondering what's wrong with having a Steve McNair/Cam Newton type QB who I think EJ Manuel reminds me of?

I think that everyone would love a good QB regardless of the style they play. EJ is light years from Cam or McNair. That is who they hope he becomes but for right now he is a guy built like them not a guy that plays like them.

I think that everyone would love a good QB regardless of the style they play. EJ is light years from Cam or McNair. That is who they hope he becomes but for right now he is a guy built like them not a guy that plays like them.

Absolutely. But I have to admit this was the best outing he has had in preseason action. I'm tired of people saying preseason doesn't matter. It does and has been a pretty good barometer for the rest of the season in the last fifteen years.

EJ's time with the threes was very good. I still think there are issues with his overall game, and I'm guessing that the bad snaps between him and Kupper are shared blame, but otherwise he didn't look as out of place as he usually did.

I think that he can be a serviceable backup at the least. I'm still doubtful he can turn up the gear to win the job outright.

On ability alone, it would be crazy to cut him, but again the bigger question would be how he would handle that.

But in not as concerned about the position as I was on Friday afternoon.

Edited by GG