Patrick Kane--sexual assault allegations--

Guffalo

I don't understand some of the logic here. What happened at the bar, in the car, anywhere else DOESN'T MATTER. The second that girl said no and Kane pushed it, it's rape. Period. Doesn't matter if she was all over him at the bar or seemed flirty. She has the right to say no and if she did then Kane should've stopped. Period. End of discussion. No means no, not its open for interpretation.

No one is claiming Kane was justified raping this girl. I don't know why you're on this self-evident tangent.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're just pretending those actions don't point to probabilities? C'mon.

That is 100% correct. No is no , what she did even two seconds before matters not... If she said " stop" , " no" etc, how she was acting does not matter. Nor should it in my mind.

I am still in disbelief the News published those quotes when this guy has everything to lose if found Kane was gametes and he served him well into Kane being hammered.

No one is claiming Kane was justified raping this girl. I don't know why you're on this self-evident tangent.

I may have misunderstood, bought I thought you meant that causet the bar owner inferred woman was all over Kane, that we can somehow infer she prolly said yes and is now looking for a payday.

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Edited by plenzmd1

That is 100% correct. No is no , what she did even two seconds before matters not... If she said " stop" , " no" etc, how she was acting does not matter. Nor should it in my mind.

I am still in disbelief the News published those quotes when this guy has everything to lose if found Kane was gametes and he served him well into Kane being hammered.

I may have misunderstood, bought I thought you meant that causet the bar owner inferred woman was all over Kane, that we can somehow infer she prolly said yes and is now looking for a payday.

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

No. That's not what I meant.

Lemme try a new way. Hypothetical solution. There are two girls. One of them is sitting on a guy's lap all night, laughing at his jokes, clearly into him/flirting. The other girl is not doing any of those things. The guy takes each of them into a room, where sexual contact occurs. Which one is more likely to have consented? Clearly the one that has been flirting with him. Does it mean she did? No. Does it mean she "probably" did? Not necessarily. But I'd still say it's more likely than the other case. And looking in from the view of a jury, if that was the only evidence, that shadow of a doubt would be enough to not convict Kane. And that's why the bar report matters. Even though obviously no means no and all that stuff. I'm not saying she deserved it, or played him on, or anything else. Just probabilities and how it looks.

Edited by FireChan

I don't understand some of the logic here. What happened at the bar, in the car, anywhere else DOESN'T MATTER. The second that girl said no and Kane pushed it, it's rape. Period. Doesn't matter if she was all over him at the bar or seemed flirty. She has the right to say no and if she did then Kane should've stopped. Period. End of discussion. No means no, not its open for interpretation.

Exactly! That's all I am trying to say. "Quid pro quo" simply does NOT factor (usually for the male) in.

At least my SHARP/POSH training has sunk in, same with you! We take this every year and it is amazing how many guys simply fight it and think it is open to debate. They are wrong. Like you said, end of discussion.

If it comes out that this stuff is true... He's the worst kind of rapist! That is if you can put an amount of degree on levels of rapists. The dude is a puke and not a man. He's anything but what a man is. Doesn't he have a mother? Sisters? You think he wants them violated like this lady is claiming?

Sad and disgusting display of human waste if it is true. I am stunned.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Lemme try a new way. Hypothetical solution. There are two girls. One of them is sitting on a guy's lap all night, laughing at his jokes, clearly into him/flirting. The other girl is not doing any of those things. The guy takes each of them into a room, where sexual contact occurs. Which one is more likely to have consented? Clearly the one that has been flirting with him. Does it mean she did? No. Does it mean she "probably" did? Not necessarily. But I'd still say it's more likely than the other case. And looking in from the view of a jury, if that was the only evidence, that shadow of a doubt would be enough to not convict Kane. And that's why the bar report matters. Even though obviously no means no and all that stuff. I'm not saying she deserved it, or played him on, or anything else. Just probabilities and how it looks.

I don't if the jury thing is correct, but I could be dead wrong. As I mentioned, the bar owner does not even know if this girl he is talking about is the girl accusing Kane. i felt very irresponsible on the News to publish that article today.

I don't if the jury thing is correct, but I could be dead wrong. As I mentioned, the bar owner does not even know if this girl he is talking about is the girl accusing Kane. i felt very irresponsible on the News to publish that article today.

I posted prior to that "Assuming they are the same woman."

Exactly! That's all I am trying to say. "Quid pro quo" simply does NOT factor (usually for the male) in.

At least my SHARP/POSH training has sunk in, same with you! We take this every year and it is amazing how many guys simply fight it and think it is open to debate. They are wrong. Like you said, end of discussion.

If it comes out that this stuff is true... He's the worst kind of rapist! That is if you can put an amount of degree on levels of rapists. The dude is a puke and not a man. He's anything but what a man is. Doesn't he have a mother? Sisters? You think he wants them violated like this lady is claiming?

Sad and disgusting display of human waste if it is true. I am stunned.

Luckily no one is arguing that.

which if guessing who would you predict would be more prone to engage in consensual sex later? Sure, the one displaying interest

But your leaving out the part where she walks out of the room and claims rape, and I'm not comfortable saying "she was flirting so it's more likely she is lying about being raped." Maybe she is, but I really don't care if they danced, or kissed, or held hands at a bar when evaluating whether her rape claim is more or less true.

Edited by NoSaint

Can the Kanes steal a play out of the Kennedy playbook? Rapists, booze, death, they all walk. Teddy had Joe Sr. How's Kaner gonna get off this one? Superstar status... The do-re-mi... Almost everybody I talked that are Blackhawks fans seem disgusted... They are disgusted in the local media here. It isn't as medieval here, but I betcha it can be! :-/

which if guessing would you predict would be more prone to engage in consensual sex later? Sure, the one displaying interest

But your leaving out the part where she walks out of the room and claims rape, and I'm not comfortable saying "she was flirting so it's more likely she is lying about being raped." Maybe she is, but I really don't care if they danced, or kissed, or held hands at a bar when evaluating whether her rape claim is more or less true.

It all reduces down to he said, she said. The immediate medical attention, results will tip the scale either way. I know one is "innocent until proven guilty." IMO, there may be no way to prove his innocence if in fact the medical e v a l points to rape.

Did you read the part about statutory... Crazy, does that mean the victim could be 16 (I think it is 16 in NYS?) or younger? Yikes.

Wow!

Wow what?

Alan Bedenko is an extreme ahole - he hates everything. WBEN, the Buffalo News, sports (really hates sports), successful businessmen. He's supposedly a lawyer but I hope he's not billing clients for all the time he's blogging and arguing on twitter.

He's not from WNY. I don't have any idea why he's even here. Can somebody tell me what his opening few paragraphs has to do with Kane, this case, Croce, anything?:

We can Buffalove ourselves to death, but someday this region will undergo a social and cultural enlightenment that’s been far too long in coming. Don’t let the shiny new buildings and downtown playgrounds kid you—we’re still downright medieval in other areas.

Whether it’s over 40s in Lanacaster desperately refusing to let go of base racism, or our continued tolerance of political leaders who express hatred and prejudice with impunity, western New York has a long way to go before it truly becomes the city of “good neighbors” it claims to be.

Call American Indians “redskins”, you’re not being a good neighbor. Spit out “Damn Asians” or “n***”, you’re not being a good neighbor.

Although you knew that, too many of our “neighbors” don’t.

Let’s turn now to this story about the allegations that hockey star and very wealthy local Patrick Kane raped a woman.

Wow!

Absolute nonsense. This writer's dancing at the edge of a defamation case. Doesn't surprise me though, given the nature of that "publication."

:...a full 80% of that article — give or take — is devoted to SkyBar owner Mark Croce going out of his way to portray Kane’s accuser as a lying, gold-digging whore of a B word."

Wow what?

Alan Bedenko is an extreme ahole - he hates everything. WBEN, the Buffalo News, sports (really hates sports), successful businessmen. He's supposedly a lawyer but I hope he's not billing clients for all the time he's blogging and arguing on twitter.

He's not from WNY. I don't have any idea why he's even here. Can somebody tell me what his opening few paragraphs has to do with Kane, this case, Croce, anything?:

We can Buffalove ourselves to death, but someday this region will undergo a social and cultural enlightenment thats been far too long in coming. Dont let the shiny new buildings and downtown playgrounds kid youwere still downright medieval in other areas.

Whether its over 40s in Lanacaster desperately refusing to let go of base racism, or our continued tolerance of political leaders who express hatred and prejudice with impunity, western New York has a long way to go before it truly becomes the city of good neighbors it claims to be.

Call American Indians redskins, youre not being a good neighbor. Spit out Damn Asians or n***, youre not being a good neighbor.

Although you knew that, too many of our neighbors dont.

Lets turn now to this story about the allegations that hockey star and very wealthy local Patrick Kane raped a woman.

Sadly he is right. I don't know why I am opening my fat trap here and getting all sad by this mess. I will just end up getting ripped a new one.

Sorry for piling on my hometown... But I go back almost every other month for the last 2 decades. Other places have evolved more over that period. It isn't very culturally diverse especially coming from where I am here. I know that seems hard to believe. We all have our worts. Maybe because this (here) is really my home now. There is no denying the parochialism that is South BFLO... The pockets of homgeneity. My own family scares me. The same that is exhibited w/the South Side Chicago Irish... But it is worse in BFLO. He's right. Harsh but right.

I am going to take flak for this.... But so be it... And I go back to S.Cheektowaga/West Seneca. Yes, it can be downright culturally medieval. That's what I was talking about "wow." I tend to agree w/him and I love my hometown. I want to see it succeed, but there are issues it has to get past.

Again... I am gonna take flak for this, so be it. It has been building in me for a long time. I guess this story makes it bubble out. I will just stop now let people have their peace w/me.

I'm not going to give you flak for it. I'm just going to add a letter and call you a flake!.............Did you know what the meaning of Exiled was when you made up your screen name?

Again, what the !@#$ does any of this have to do with Kane or Croce???

It is unintentionally fund that the author (Alan Bedenkdo) writes about "over 40s in Lanacaster desperately refusing to let go of base racism, or our continued tolerance of political leaders who express hatred and prejudice with impunity, western New York has a long way to go before it truly becomes the city of “good neighbors” it claims to be", especially since Mr. Bedenko lives in the whitest community in WNY (Clarence) that is well-known for its exclusionary zoning and enforcement practices.

Did you know what the meaning of Exiled was when you made up your screen name?

Yes. PartiallyExiledInIllinois is too long. ;-)

I really should change it to EricInIllinois, it still keeps the EiL.

It has a lot to do w/... Kane's "South Buffaloness" has always been a problem. It is one hell of a place.

It is unintentionally fund that the author (Alan Bedenkdo) writes about "over 40s in Lanacaster desperately refusing to let go of base racism, or our continued tolerance of political leaders who express hatred and prejudice with impunity, western New York has a long way to go before it truly becomes the city of good neighbors it claims to be", especially since Mr. Bedenko lives in the whitest community in WNY (Clarence) that is well-known for its exclusionary zoning and enforcement practices.

Yeah... That will always be the dig on the area. Many pockets to escape to while calling others out. I admit, he isn't the best voice for his diatribe against the area... But others do see it. I wouldn't be the best either if I lived there, heck I am certainly not the best because I don't don't full time. Again he is harsh and I know that stings people.

Is my liberal slip showing? ;-) ;-)

Yes. PartiallyExiledInIllinois is too long. ;-)

I really should change it to EricInIllinois, it still keeps the EiL.

It has a lot to do w/... Kane's "South Buffaloness" has always been a problem. It is one hell of a place.

I have to agree with this. The South Buffalo pride is one thing that cannot be understated. I see all over Social media people from S Buffalo defending Kane. Ive also been part of a near brawl at Doc Sullivans because we "weren't from S Buffalo"

But he is innocent until proven, I think people just need to learn to shut up, and think for two seconds before opening their stupid fat mouths.

I have to agree with this. The South Buffalo pride is one thing that cannot be understated. I see all over Social media people from S Buffalo defending Kane. Ive also been part of a near brawl at Doc Sullivans because we "weren't from S Buffalo"

But he is innocent until proven, I think people just need to learn to shut up, and think for two seconds before opening their stupid fat mouths.

Yep. Many can accuse me of having a bone to pick, so be it. It is the same here w/the South Side Irish in Chicago... It is absolutely brutal. And my wife's family (father's side) is from there (S.BFLO)... This story has to tear him (my 80 year old fil)up... Yet, I know where he lies w/his loyalty. He's hoping the dirty whore lied! My wife understands it, that is why she is an uber-feminist. Oh my! The only thing that saved her was the family jumped the border and was raised in Lackawanna/W.Seneca... Oh and moved away. Anyway, we don't say a word, the inlaws don't say a word... Mums the word on this story... Now when I first broke the news of the story to my wife, you know what her reply was? "Like this is a shock?"

Look @ the love the Kennedy's get! Same thing. Womanizing is @ the core. Rape, leaving them for dead... Etc..

Kennedy/Kane for Sainthood!

I admit, he isn't the best voice for his diatribe against the area...

The problem with guys like Bednecko and the rag he writes for is that they're locked in to seeing boogymen and ill intentions in everything, 24/7/365. It's a form of prejudice that's just as bad as what they decree from the 'establishment' types they continually target.

That article would have been written no matter what. The Kane incident was just another trigger opportunity to let it fly...

The problem with guys like Bednecko and the rag he writes for is that they're locked in to seeing boogymen and ill intentions in everything, 24/7/365. It's a form of prejudice that's just as bad as what they decree from the 'establishment' types they continually target.

That article would have been written no matter what. The Kane incident was just another trigger opportunity to let it fly...

Fair enough Lurker. I don't know anything about him until I read that.

And excuse my predjudice against parochial places like South Buffalo. IT has everything to do w/Kane's mentality... IMO of course. Sorry for letting my lack of filter bubble out.

This is simply a no win situation. It is lose-lose. There isn't even an middle outcome!

good post. I was not at all surprised to see the South Buffalo blinders on with this, and it's kind of sad. I know he's "one of theirs" but support him privately until you know more, please.

good post. I was not at all surprised to see the South Buffalo blinders on with this, and it's kind of sad. I know he's "one of theirs" but support him privately until you know more, please.

Just as likely that the reporter had a preconceived story line and got the quotes and soundbites needed to fill it in. That seems to be how so many 'journalists' now operate in the "short-deadline-have-to-be-first-who-knows-if-its-right-or-wrong" Internet age.

Not saying the South Buffalo pride angle isn't a widespread sentiment. Just, that it's easier to sell something that meets expectations than something that turns them on their head (i.e., actually requires the typical reader to rub two brain cells together)...

This crap still goes on? I remember back 30-35 years ago when my Timon classmates would do this crap. "Hey', there's a group of 5 from OP or whatever. We've got 15 - let's beat them up." I've seen guys get their jaws broken, etc. for just not being from S. Buffalo..........Same guys would back down if it was a fair fight, or something that looked like they would lose.

Yep. Many can accuse me of having a bone to pick, so be it. It is the same here w/the South Side Irish in Chicago...

Oh, so it's the same thing as Chicago. Well, that makes sense that you'd be all anti Buffalo about it.

The only consistent thing about you is your whacky inconsistency. You've been all over the map about Kane since we first PMd each other about him many years ago.

This crap still goes on? I remember back 30-35 years ago when my Timon classmates would do this crap. "Hey', there's a group of 5 from OP or whatever. We've got 15 - let's beat them up." I've seen guys get their jaws broken, etc. for just not being from S. Buffalo..........Same guys would back down if it was a fair fight, or something that looked like they would lose.

Oh, so it's the same thing as Chicago. Well, that makes sense that you'd be all anti Buffalo about it.

The only consistent thing about you is your whacky inconsistency. You've been all over the map about Kane since we first PMd each other about him many years ago.

Huh? It is not about being anti-BFLO... Man you will stoop to anything to think it is BFLO hate.

A WOMAN MAY HAVE LIKELY BEEN RAPED HERE. All rape is violent... But this one is in Mike Tyson status. Does that mean anything? She went to the hospital right after. Let's see what those results show.

I want to like the guy. He is an ambassador for the city yet, the S.BFLO cultural (if you want to even call caveman a culture) mentality that he seems to embrace is a major liability... Blame him for being anti-BFLO. He seems to hate it. This is two times he has pissed on the city and created controversy. They are getting PO'd in Chicago. Did you here how he replied to Pat Foley @ the Cup Rally this year? Probably not...

And for the record... The mentality is A LOT more parochial in S.Buffalo than South Chicago. Now I have never been to Southy (S.Boston)... I can't imagine how that it, but it probably has to rank up there.

And you are defending this behavior because you went to Bishop Timon? No wonder... Figures.

Yeah it appears I am all over the place because I don't blindly, loyally follow.

I mean come on... Pretty low blows attacking me for speaking the truth... Attack the borish, boozing, womanizing, raping, cabbie punching behavior that is besmirching our (more yours now) home city!

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84161062/

Not being in Buffalo I dont have a dog in this fight......

Innocent until proven guilty

but

Innocent until proven guilt just like any other guy.....celebrity status be damned

Yes... But rape is criminal behavior that makes the basic legal tenet of our society very touchy. They will drag her through the mud like some gold-digging whore until she backs down... Even if she was raped and Kane is the monster that she is saying. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Huh? It is not about being anti-BFLO... Man you will stoop to anything to think it is BFLO hate.

A WOMAN MAY HAVE LIKELY BEEN RAPED HERE. All rape is violent... But this one is in Mike Tyson status. Does that mean anything? She went to the hospital right after. Let's see what those results show.

I want to like the guy. He is an ambassador for the city yet, the S.BFLO cultural (if you want to even call caveman a culture) mentality that he seems to embrace is a major liability... Blame him for being anti-BFLO. He seems to hate it. This is two times he has pissed on the city and created controversy. They are getting PO'd in Chicago. Did you here how he replied to Pat Foley @ the Cup Rally this year? Probably not...

And for the record... The mentality is A LOT more parochial in S.Buffalo than South Chicago. Now I have never been to Southy (S.Boston)... I can't imagine how that it, but it probably has to rank up there.

And you are defending this behavior because you went to Bishop Timon? No wonder... Figures.

Yeah it appears I am all over the place because I don't blindly, loyally follow.

I mean come on... Pretty low blows attacking me for speaking the truth... Attack the borish, boozing, womanizing, raping, cabbie punching behavior that is besmirching our (more yours now) home city!

Dude, what.

Edited by FireChan

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150806/sports/150809292/

They are getting fed up w/the Kane's lifestyle. Something tells me you can take him out of S.BFLO but can't take S.BFLO out of him... And that is exactly the memtality that the culture and lifestyle embodies. It is an embarrassment to the city.

I am pro-working class, but I am not pro-trash.

It is between bbb and me FireChan. Where you from?

The South Buffalo stuff is very real. Plenty of great people from there. Also a place where it is very territorial and seems stuck in the 60s.

I want to like Kane more but I've heard too many shady stories about him for none of it to be true. Gronk is a meathead but he generally seems like a good dude. Kane has too much of that South Buffalo, little man syndrome.

Hope he is innocent because his career, as it should be, will be over. And sadly, he is a hero to a lot of people in Buffalo and Chicago.

That's all I wanted to say C.Biscuit97. I totally agree, I just get emotional about stuff like this and start crapping on the whole.

Sorry to get your dander up bbb, or anybody else.

Peace.

Captain Caveman you are right. This is very serious, unless she back down and it all has been a sick stunt. I mean, Duke lax even enters my mind.

Let me point out a few things:

- Bedenko doesn't say South Buffalo. He's talking about the whole city/region. I don't even know what he's talking about in terms of how that has anything to do with Kane

- Kane hasn't lived in Buffalo since he was what 12, 13 years old? Maybe he would spend a few weeks or months here, but he didn't go to school, etc. here. The years after he left are when you start to party, etc.

- "And you are defending this behavior because you went to Bishop Timon? No wonder... Figures." Where did I say I'm defending this behavior?......I am not a fan AT ALL.

- Again, what does Bedenko's first few paragraphs have to do with the headline and the rest of the story?

- Again, what does Bedenko's first few paragraphs have to do with the headline and the rest of the story?

Bedenko's real target is Croce, not Kane. Croce is part of the 'business establishment'--therefore, he is evil incarnate and red meat to "The Pubic's" readership.

Kane is just an enabler for his canned rant against "The Man"...

Imo

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150806/sports/150809292/

They are getting fed up w/the Kane's lifestyle. Something tells me you can take him out of S.BFLO but can't take S.BFLO out of him... And that is exactly the memtality that the culture and lifestyle embodies. It is an embarrassment to the city.

I am pro-working class, but I am not pro-trash.

It is between bbb and me FireChan. Where you from?

Maybe personalizing some athlete that hasn't lived here since his pre-teen years as an indictment on a whole section of a city isn't the best approach.

Bedenko's real target is Croce, not Kane. Croce is part of the 'business establishment'--therefore, he is evil incarnate and red meat to "The Pubic's" readership.

Kane is just an enabler for his canned rant against "The Man"...

Imo

I think you're right. The article is just so poorly done that the beginning has nothing to do with the rest of it.

Maybe personalizing some athlete that hasn't lived here since his pre-teen years as an indictment on a whole section of a city isn't the best approach.

I would think by this point, he's actually lived way more days in Chicago than Buffalo since he was 12.

This whole thing is an indictment of Chicago!!

I know. But Kane still identifies, I identify w/the region. I still call it home, all my family is there... And you know Pat calls it home. Because, it is! My children even identify it as home to an extent... And they were born here in Lake County Indiana. I have now lived more years here than back home and this place is still foreign land.

It's what we do. Kane is BFLO... Especially S.Buffalo. He's got friends and family.

I said wow (AB article/rant). Because I knew how sensitive people would get. I admit, I am sensitive too about it getting the bad press. I am confused about Kane. He almost has a love hate take on the region. Like a king or something w/fawning subjects. He IS one of thee only superstars (modern times) that has come out of the region. BUT yet... Now the spin is that he hasn't lived here since he was 13 or so... Jeeze!

I would think by this point, he's actually lived way more days in Chicago than Buffalo since he was 12.

This whole thing is an indictment of Chicago!!

Wow... You really are sensitive about the region.