Is it time for Plan Z at QB

Since EJ is basically playing his way off this roster I think it's time to pull the plug now and move on to plan B, Z or whatever else plan we can muster up. Should we give Jake Locker a call and see if he's feeling differently bout retirement after training camps have now opened or do u give the old vet Michael Vick a shot. Maybe we can make a trade for Mettanberger, Glennon or Cousins using EJ and a pk as bait if I'm Doug Whaley I'm dangling a 3rd for Mettanberger right now. I know it's a high price but what else can we do. Either way we need to make calls move soon before it's too late or maybe it's already to late?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably too late in the process to bring in someone. I don't think there's anyone of a 'reasonable' standard that has any degree of knowledge of the Roman scheme so it's basically just teaching them from scratch.

Orton came in late August to a fairly simplistic scheme and wasn't ready until after the season started. With a much more diverse offense, it's hard to imagine anyone from outside the organisation would be conceptually aware enough to take the reigns in Week 1.

Edited by Blokestradamus

It is never too late - see Whaley thread

Whaley on QB situation:team will know before its "announced"

watching NFLN yesterday I heard someone comment Defenses are normally ahead of offenses when training camps begin.

No it wasn't during a Bills recap.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's probably too late in the process to bring in someone. I don't think there's anyone of a 'reasonable' standard that has any degree of knowledge of the Roman scheme so it's basically just teaching them from scratch.

Orton came in late August to a fairly simplistic scheme and wasn't ready until after the season started. With a much more diverse offense, it's hard to imagine anyone from outside the organisation would be conceptually aware enough to take the reigns in Week 1.

I agree with what your saying but an upgrade is an upgrade no matter how u slice it. Even if there ready by week 4-6 that might save our season in case Cassel or TY gets hurt we have capable Bkup. Cassel is definitely an injury waiting to happen based on recent seasons so even if takes time to learn our offense why not take a chance

Since EJ is basically playing his way off this roster I think it's time to pull the plug now and move on to plan B, Z or whatever else plan we can muster up. Should we give Jake Locker a call and see if he's feeling differently bout retirement after training camps have now opened or do u give the old vet Michael Vick a shot. Maybe we can make a trade for Mettanberger, Glennon or Cousins using EJ and a pk as bait if I'm Doug Whaley I'm dangling a 3rd for Mettanberger right now. I know it's a high price but what else can we do. Either way we need to make calls move soon before it's too late or maybe it's already to late?

I hear Vince Ferragamo is available...

There are more QB options in 2016 (FA and college) than in previous years - and as well - the number of teams in the Bills position has dwindled. I think the plan is to gut out this year and get a real QB answer next year.

Mettenberger is under contract through 2017 and making basically nothing on his rookie deal. Mariota hasn't even taken a preseason game snap and their third string WB is Charlie Whitehurst. Why is Tennessee trading him for anything other than a ridiculous offer?

Edited by BarleyNY

he was never all that good, does not cheat, needs elite receivers, and right now sitting in Napa drinking his wine. But maybe Joe Montana would put the pads back on. he also never loses super bowls like that guy over in chowda land. Just a thought...........

Stickum...

I agree with what your saying but an upgrade is an upgrade no matter how u slice it. Even if there ready by week 4-6 that might save our season in case Cassel or TY gets hurt we have capable Bkup. Cassel is definitely an injury waiting to happen based on recent seasons so even if takes time to learn our offense why not take a chance

With a guy like Mettenberger (who I do love), you could justify it as a long term move given the length of his contract. If he comes in after the bye and shines, you can move forward with him for the foreseeable future. If not, his price tag wouldn't prohibit you from drafting another one in April. From this standpoint, I'm certainly happy for them to try it. Just can't see them admitting after a couple of months that they picked up the wrong options.

If the people in charge were actually interested in making those moves, they would've done it by now.

The plan seems to be to start the winner of the 3-way battle.

I don't believe the people in charge are shocked by EJ struggling such that they're going to abandon their plan.

Cassell will start.....don't know about the rest of the wannabe's. Cassell won the starting job last year in Minn.....and lost it when he broke his ankle in the 3d(?) game. He was good enough to start there...and he will be here since there isn't somebody to take it away. He will be a B- or C+ QB, not an A player, but that may be good enough for a winning record with this team. Not sure anybody else can be anything but a C- or D grade player. I don't hate EJ, but as a season ticket holder, I saw for myself he does not have the accuracy to be an NFL QB. DM HAD to bench EJ last year as the receivers were in open rebellion about EJ's lack of ability to hit them when they were open.

I suppose another QB might be found in free agency, Orton did not work out so bad IMHO...and he brought a little swagger to the job....that is necessary in that the team on the field needs a lift from their leader. Not to be found in EJ....either, unfortunately.

As for the candidates mentioned here...Locker has lost his desire....much like Orton I think....so he is NFG. Vick is over the hill. Mettenburger is so good they drafted MM. Glennon interests me some, we could do worse I suppose....like with the guys on our roster at this point.