Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

does anybody know what motive the NFL has in going after Tom Brady? I dont get that part.

is Gary Bettman going to go after Sidney Crosby?

take this fwiw, and I doubt many would be surprised anyway, but I do know for a fact that other teams are tired of the Pats doing things to push the envelope/rule book/cheating. One team has to appoint someone from the staff to sweep/scope Gillette before the game whenever they play there for things they do to disadvantage the visitor. I can't remember the examples right now but one was electronics related. They don't have to do this at any other stadium. Is it just gamesmanship? Maybe, but there are more issues that team FOs around the league have with the Patriot Way than just those that go public like with Baltimore and Indy. I have to think goodell is under a lot of pressure to protect the integrity of the game. And though I don't think the NFL wanted to target Brady directly, I do think they did end up doing so as a result of his involvement with this latest Patriot transgression, and it just got worse with the way that he handled it. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just mean for the defenders of The Pats/Brady. The whole crux of their argument is Goodell is out to get Brady... but I dont know what the reason could be

What reason could there be?

I am sure that this is about the last thing that the NFL wanted to happen. Brady is the NFL poster child. Why would Goodell want to gratuitously take down Brady and blemish his reputation.

Oh, by the way, this is the same commissioner who did the Patriots and their fans a favor in the way he handled spygate and destroyed the tapes.

I understand the spirit of this, but the Hardy case would still be a stretch for comparison. There were mitigating circumstances involved, not the least of which was that he was suspended by his team for 15 games last season. Plus, it's easy to assume that Hardy offered much more in the way of cooperation and contrition towards the process. Hell, anything less than walking in and giving Goodell the finger would have amounted to much more in the way of cooperation than what Brady offered.

GO BILLS!!!

Think of what Goodell is dealing with. He knows, for a fact, regardless of how insignificant the infraction is, which it is, that Brady cheated. He knows it for sure, and he's looking to let him off the hook. But Brady at every turn, says no, I didn't do anything and I want total exoneration. Goodell says we will cut it to two games if you just agree you made a mistake and apologize, and one game if you act contrite. No, I want total exoneration. Goodell says we will cut it in half or to one game. Brady says only if all records are sealed and none of this sees the light of day. Goodell goes in to the appeal and wants to settle, and at the appeal learns for the first time that he destroyed the phone on the day of the investigation, and today he is just finding out about it four months later.

Goodell had to be just furious about it. He knows Brady is lying right to his face. And Brady is spitting in it.

Think of what Goodell is dealing with. He knows, for a fact, regardless of how insignificant the infraction is, which it is, that Brady cheated. He knows it for sure, and he's looking to let him off the hook. But Brady at every turn, says no, I didn't do anything and I want total exoneration. Goodell says we will cut it to two games if you just agree you made a mistake and apologize, and one game if you act contrite. No, I want total exoneration. Goodell says we will cut it in half or to one game. Brady says only if all records are sealed and none of this sees the light of day. Goodell goes in to the appeal and wants to settle, and at the appeal learns for the first time that he destroyed the phone on the day of the investigation, and today he is just finding out about it four months later.

Goodell had to be just furious about it. He knows Brady is lying right to his face. And Brady is spitting in it.

Basically, Brady cheated. Then he covered it up. And now he's rubbing Goodell's face in this great big pile of **** he created. And he thinks he's winning.

Like I said...he's doing the impossible job of making Goodell the victim, and putting us on his side. !@#$ you, Brady, for making me side with Goodell.

100% on the money with this. Not only did Brady give him the bird, Goodell bent over backwards in trying work out an equitable solution for all sides. I think Brady's arrogance pushed him too far. If I were Brady, I might be looking to exploit that if I hadn't screwed the pooch already.

GO BILLS!!!

Not everyone agrees with this notion, so it shouldn't be presented as fact.

100% on the money with this. Not only did Brady give him the bird, Goodell bent over backwards in trying work out an equitable solution for all sides. I think Brady's arrogance pushed him too far. If I were Brady, I might be looking to exploit that if I hadn't screwed the pooch already.

GO BILLS!!!

Of course, we've seen this behavior from Brady before. Very often, in fact. Every time he ever got touched, or threw an interception, and turned to the official and whined "Look how I'm persecuted? How can you let this happen? You know you have to make this right!"

It should come as no surprise that he's acting this way now. Conversely, he must be confused as all hell that Goodell isn't following the script.

A commissioner in one league cannot go after a player in another league if that league has a team in the same geographic region.

Bravo :)

Of course, we've seen this behavior from Brady before. Very often, in fact. Every time he ever got touched, or threw an interception, and turned to the official and whined "Look how I'm persecuted? How can you let this happen? You know you have to make this right!"

It should come as no surprise that he's acting this way now. Conversely, he must be confused as all hell that Goodell isn't following the script.

I'd love it if Rog went full Warden Norton on Brady. "You will play the hardest QB there is. No more protection from the refs.....I'll cast you down with the Sodomites!"

I posted a hypothetical earlier. If Brady had taken his 4 games like a man (like Dareus did his one) we never find out about him destroying his phone. We don't see him unwilling to take one game if he just admits it, and he never would have had to admit a thing. Two months later, Greg Hardy's decision comes down, and Goddell looks like an ass because of the similar penalty. I would have been first in line asking him to resign. Brady would have been a martyr who got hit by an overzealous comissioner.

Now he just looks like a bitchy little girl.

Here's the weird part: Brady didn't have to divulge that he destroyed his phone. He simply could have said that he wasn't going to allow them to view it. The NFL couldn't force him to share it in any case. Keeping his mouth shut about it would have been the wiser course. Why didn't he do that? That's what I don't get.

Here's the weird part: Brady didn't have to divulge that he destroyed his phone. He simply could have said that he wasn't going to allow them to view it. The NFL couldn't force him to share it in any case. Keeping his mouth shut about it would have been the wiser course. Why didn't he do that? That's what I don't get.

Yea. In the "I'm not showing my phone" and "we don't even want to see it" debate why he's even bringing up that it's gone at that point seems confusing. I guess if pressed for more content he might've slipped with "tough luck it's gone"

Edited by NoSaint

Yea. In the "I'm not showing my phone" and "we don't even want to see it" debate why he's even bringing up that it's gone at that point seems confusing. I guess if pressed for more content he might've slipped with "tough luck it's gone"

I mean, he had an argument deriving from principle relative to the CBA that by requesting the phone the league was overstepping its bounds. One may not agree with it, but it's a plausible position. I have no idea why he divulged that piece of information. It makes no sense.

Anway, appearing live at Rich Stadium on Sunday, September 20:

. I expect a sellout.

The day he destroyed it he was interviewed. I'm sure they asked him about it and he didn't tell them anything. He probably said he wasn't going to give it to them. That is when Wells said you don't even have to give it to us, just the lists, etc. At the end of the meeting, Wells was just told they wouldn't provide the lists. Then Wells makes his report. Flashforward to four months later. A few days before the appeal, I assume the NFL asked Brady's team about the phone again. They gave some answer to the affect of he doesn't have it. The NFL and Goodell didn't really know what that meant but I assume they pressured Brady to say why he wasn't going to give them any information. Then the day of the appeal Goodell asked about it, and someone on Brady's team, or Brady himself I'm not sure, said he doesn't have it anymore and we can't get anything from it because he destroyed it.

I assume they said that because Goodell was offering some kind of deal or whatever, in return for information.

The day he destroyed it he was interviewed. I'm sure they asked him about it and he didn't tell them anything. He probably said he wasn't going to give it to them. That is when Wells said you don't even have to give it to us, just the lists, etc. At the end of the meeting, Wells was just told they wouldn't provide the lists. Then Wells makes his report. Flashforward to four months later. A few days before the appeal, I assume the NFL asked Brady's team about the phone again. They gave some answer to the affect of he doesn't have it. The NFL and Goodell didn't really know what that meant but I assume they pressured Brady to say why he wasn't going to give them any information. Then the day of the appeal Goodell asked about it, and someone on Brady's team, or Brady himself I'm not sure, said he doesn't have it anymore and we can't get anything from it because he destroyed it.

I assume they said that because Goodell was offering some kind of deal or whatever, in return for information.

That's plausible. But the potential downside of telling him that is so much higher than the upside of getting a favorable deal. It's conceding game, set, and match. He would have been better off saying "I'll talk about anything, but no phone--that is a principled stand I'm taking on behalf of the union." That makes so much more sense than what he actually ended up doing.

It goes along with their plan to act like they're cooperating when they're really not.

"Why didn't we see these lists before?"

"well...uh...because I destroyed my phone, so we had to wait for the monthly bill statement..."

That's plausible. But the potential downside of telling him that is so much higher than the upside of getting a favorable deal. It's conceding game, set, and match. He would have been better off saying "I'll talk about anything, but no phone--that is a principled stand I'm taking on behalf of the union." That makes so much more sense than what he actually ended up doing.

Yep. I imagine that there was hard bargaining and it was rather contemptuous. It's possible that Goodell was driving a hard bargain when he couldn't get any answers out of them. They really were giving him foolish answers at that meeting, like "There is no reason to bring in McNally and Jastremski for questioning, Tom wants to face his accusers, not his friends that already said he didnt do anything." I would have laughed in their face. At that point maybe Goodell said list of no texts, no deal, or something along those lines and that is maybe when they said we couldn't even if we wanted. He destroyed his phone like he does all of them (which was a lie).

Even today, Yee said something incredibly stupid, that the NFL already had "All but three of Tom's texts between Tom and Jastremski." WTF? All but three? That's not incriminating or opening another can of worms. :doh:

Yep. I imagine that there was hard bargaining and it was rather contemptuous. It's possible that Goodell was driving a hard bargain when he couldn't get any answers out of them. They really were giving him foolish answers at that meeting, like "There is no reason to bring in McNally and Jastremski for questioning, Tom wants to face his accusers, not his friends that already said he didnt do anything." I would have laughed in their face. At that point maybe Goodell said list of no texts, no deal, or something along those lines and that is maybe when they said we couldn't even if we wanted. He destroyed his phone like he does all of them (which was a lie).

Even today, Yee said something incredibly stupid, that the NFL already had "All but three of Tom's texts between Tom and Jastremski." WTF? All but three? That's not incriminating or opening another can of worms. :doh:

between records, and whats been turned over it might simply be honest. just because there are three others doesnt mean they have access to turn them over.

but thats kind of the issue ive been hammering since wells said they could self screen and whatever is turned in was fine -- without doubt, anything short of EVERYTHING gets met with the reaction you just had.

thats not saying those 3 are innocent but we have no idea if they are as guilty as everyone immediately assumes. The next one they didnt turn in is always going to be assumed to be the smoking gun.

What does this mean--

@SportsCenter: NFLPA files motions on Tom Brady's behalf in his fight against the NFL. Union is asking court to vacate league's denial of Brady's appeal.

Here's another one sided story since Doyel hates the Pats, but still

@GreggDoyelStar: What's with the mental gymnastics folks do to absolve Tom Brady? Dude cheated in HUGE game. Destroyed evidence. Story http://t.co/tpfeFxeT0V

Edited by YoloinOhio