Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have felt since the beginning of this is that the appropriate punishment is to allow every team to inflate/deflate their own teams balls to any level they want when facing the patriots this season. Then all of fans that have never played a down in the NFL can see how big of a deal it really is. Based on the resounding chorus of "f'n cheaters" I see thrown around, presumably the patriots would go 0-16 in 2015, and the world would know they snookered the world for the last 15 years, and they were never good.

If on the other hand it turns out to have less of an impact on games than having linemen who are skilled at holding without getting caught, or having corners who know how to get away with illegal contact, or head coaches that know how to run a pick play without getting called, then we will all know the entire thing is a tempest in a teapot.

I just hate hate hate this argument.. It just lazy. I know Spygate mattered none either, yet the greatest coach in history and the greatest QB in history found enough value in it to DO IT, yet fans who have never played a down insist it's nothing. Dumb argument!

How badly has Brady's team mismanaged this?

Well...Wells and the NFL had no right to Brady's phone. The most that they could do was ask, and he was within his rights saying "no." And, in fact, he could have used that in the appeal of his suspension, to argue that he was being punished for non-cooperation when he was well within his rights to not cooperate. He's also within his rights to destroy the phone...because it's his phone, and he has no responsibility to preserve it for any reason.

Except his dumbass representatives, and the NFLPA, announce their intent to seek redress in court if the suspension isn't overturned.

THAT means he had a reasonable expectation of the phone and its contents being evidence in a case. So NOW, he's destroying evidence. Which means he tanked not only his appeal, but his court case too.

Brilliant strategy. How does this dumbass even win football games? (Oh, that's right. He cheats.)

wow.

this is one of the most logical, well thought out posts ive ever read--not just on this forum, but the internet in general.

well done.

I just hate hate hate this argument.. It just lazy. I know Spygate mattered none either, yet the greatest coach in history and the greatest QB in history found enough value in it to DO IT, yet fans who have never played a down insist it's nothing. Dumb argument!

Except for the fact that Brady played BETTER in the 2nd half with the legit ball then he did with the deflated ball. So, kind of proves the ball didn't really matter. And then he just happened to go on to beat the defending Champs in the Super Bowl who also sport one of the best defenses in the NFL...all with a legit ball.

So, evidently, the ball deflation isn't exactly the secret to Bradys success as so many desperately want to believe. The truth...it made little impact, and technically you could argue it negatively impacted his play considering he played better in the same game with the proper ball.

Facts are, the ball and the deflation was literally dumb, over blown, over stated...Many current and past athletes admitted to doing things far more impactful including stickem on the receivers gloves, oil on lineman arms to make them slippery, etc.

Now, on the other hand...Brady interfering with an investigation is serious and it violated rules created as a direct result of the last Pats scandal. And therefore, I felt the ball issue warranted nothing more than a fine and don't do it again statement but the interfering with the investigation warranted a 2 game suspension (not 4, that was excessive based on other suspensions on more serious issues).

I read the decision on the way home tonight and a few interesting observations--

1. In defending the 4 games,Goodell compared Brady to a PED user seeking an unfair advantage. Even more interestingly, he compared him to a PED user using a masking agent to cover up his crime, which is supposed to get you 6 games. Here, Brady covered up the cover up until June 18, well after the initial punishment came out. Personally, I think that's why the League is taking no prisoners here--they feel they, too, were cheated and lied to;

2. The Commish really wanted to hear from Tweedledum and Dumber, but it was Brady who said no, while at the same time claiming those two were his buddies who'd back him up (but we were supposed to take his word for it); and

3. Lots of inconsistencies in Brady's arguments exposed--like the "I always destroy my old phone, oh, except for the one I used until November, 2014--that one I'll give you."

It's a riot full of very tight legal arguments that I suspect the Pats* lawyers will break their fangs on.....

This...

Eat a bag, Brady.

Cheating !@#$.

He will forever be known as a cheater.

and that. Filing a lawsuit will only confirm his status as a cheater IMO. A real man owns up to his punishment when he's caught.

Or... he comes back. and we get after his ...

and then Lawson gets suspended for the season just because Brady's panties got pulled over his head in an atomic wedgie on national tv. while Rex laughs at his prank and takes him and the team for snacks. pan to the left and Kraft is laughing too

Thats going to be classic Bills.

the view has changed Son.

Look at this. All of you wallowing in self-disgust superstition that we will continue to be a down-on-our-luck sicken me.

Wake up. It's a new era with a new coach and new owner. I don't care whether or not Brady serves the 4 game suspension or has it overturned somehow. I am confident in the new ownership and coach that we can beat the Patriots with or without Brady. We have the weapons and great coaches to do so. Look what Ryan did against Belichick in the playoffs in 2009.

If Brady somehow plays the Bills in Week 2, all the better when we win against them to prove to the world we are not the same ol' crappy Bills.

:thumbsup:

The appeal will NOT be based on the facts of whether or not the balls were deflated at Brady's or anyone elses direction. The NFLPA has already laid out what the appeal will likely be based on:

The NFL had no policy that applied to players;

The NFL provided no notice of any such policy or potential discipline to players;

The NFL resorted to a nebulous standard of “general awareness” to predicate a legally unjustified punishment;

The NFL had no procedures in place until two days ago to test air pressure in footballs; and

The NFL violated the plain meaning of the collective bargaining agreement.

If that is a basis for a lawsuit, Brady's text messages won't be relevant. And therefore its unlikely a supboena would be granted for those records.

The NFL does have a policy that requires the members of the NFLPA to co-operate fully in any investigation, so it's pretty clear that Brady has violated at least one policy that the NFLPA has agreed to.

So you know that it didn't matter, yet because Brady/Bellichick thought it gave them an advantage, others can't conclude what you have concluded?

That's an odd argument...

Except for the fact that Brady played BETTER in the 2nd half with the legit ball then he did with the deflated ball. So, kind of proves the ball didn't really matter. And then he just happened to go on to beat the defending Champs in the Super Bowl who also sport one of the best defenses in the NFL...all with a legit ball.

So, evidently, the ball deflation isn't exactly the secret to Bradys success as so many desperately want to believe. The truth...it made little impact, and technically you could argue it negatively impacted his play considering he played better in the same game with the proper ball.

Facts are, the ball and the deflation was literally dumb, over blown, over stated...Many current and past athletes admitted to doing things far more impactful including stickem on the receivers gloves, oil on lineman arms to make them slippery, etc.

Now, on the other hand...Brady interfering with an investigation is serious and it violated rules created as a direct result of the last Pats scandal. And therefore, I felt the ball issue warranted nothing more than a fine and don't do it again statement but the interfering with the investigation warranted a 2 game suspension (not 4, that was excessive based on other suspensions on more serious issues).

Just tell me why he did it then. If it provided no advantage, why would he do it and why would he cover it up .....as I assume you believe He did it?

Like I said, these two guys are considered amongst the best ever, why would they do this if it did not matter?

And don't forget how good he was in the the Baltimore game when it was way colder. If you believe this was a one time occurance, I got some nice land to sell ha. The deflate comments go back to the year before

Edited by plenzmd1

I agree. They did these things for a reason. Neither Bill nor Brady is stupid. In their mind, the advantage outweighed the risk of getting caught. Games are routinely decided on a few plays and Brady and Co. have always done everything possible to make sure they come out on top on those plays.

Just tell me why he did it then. If it provided no advantage, why would he do it and why would he cover it up .....as I assume you believe it did it.

Like I said, these two guys are considers amongst the best ever, why would they do this if it did not matter?

People just act like they do these things for sh*ts and giggles. It's insane. They did it because they felt it helped them win. It's that simple.

Agreed, you don't take the risk without some percieved benefit. Those who argue he palyed better int he second half are, I believe, missing the point. This has been going on for years since they lobbied for the teams to control the balls and the fumble rate mysteriously dropped like a lead balloon. One half is a small sample size. Try this over seasons and maybe you've got something.

Belichick will sit good players for a fumble. He'd do just about ANYTHING to reduce turnover. Hmmm.

wow.

this is one of the most logical, well thought out posts ive ever read--not just on this forum, but the internet in general.

well done.

Great, now Tom will get a big head and a superiority complex.

Agreed, you don't take the risk without some percieved benefit. Those who argue he palyed better int he second half are, I believe, missing the point. This has been going on for years since they lobbied for the teams to control the balls and the fumble rate mysteriously dropped like a lead balloon. One half is a small sample size. Try this over seasons and maybe you've got something.

Belichick will sit good players for a fumble. He'd do just about ANYTHING to reduce turnover. Hmmm.

Outward facing labels.

@SBNationNFL: The Patriots called the NFL's decision on Tom Brady's suspension "incomprehensible" http://t.co/U26WCllKyshttp://t.co/cxXm0AHTPe

Omg

So they are too dumb to understand why he was suspended but want to take the NFL to court? (well not the Pats but you know what I mean).

Goodell is smart to go for a declaratory judgment against Brady before the NFLPA can file. When was the last time the NFLPA failed to overturn an NFL suspension in federal court?

I might be wrong but I believe AP went to federal court.

I just watched Polian on ESPN. From what he said:

A) Goddell's writeup of is the disciplinary section of his appeal denial was well crafted and seems rather convincing.

B) It looks rather difficult that an injunction would be obtained.

C) Federal judges really don't like to contest binding arbitration. If people constantly break binding arbitration, what is the point of binding arbitration?

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

If anyone cared to read the full report, you'd see that Goodell made very solid arguments for his decision, even comparing his desired punishment to several controversial NFL decisions in the past, including: Brett Favre's d*ck pics, Minnesota/Carolina's ball-warming incident, New Orleans' Bounty-Gate, and others.

Goodell ultimately decided that the punishment was more in line with PED violations. This comparison was made because "steroid use reflects an improper effort to secure a competitive advantage in, and threatens the integrity of, the game." This is exactly what Brady has done. It's hard to see this because most people don't equate drugs to "ball deflation" but ultimately the goal is the same, which is "to gain a competitive advantage."

I expect any Federal judge to look at this, chuckle a bit, and throw it in the trash. There's no way an injunction is ordered. Brady should really quit while he's ahead.