Tim Graham article on Aaron Maybin

Art is all subjective anyway, so I don't feel "self-righteous" claiming his art is crappy. I appreciate art, I visit galleries, and I wouldn't consider hanging anything I've seen of Maybin's work in my home. While his "slaves" piece is conversation-provoking, as soon as you evaluate the concept intellectually you realize (again) what a douche he is. He earned FOURTEEN MILLION DOLLARS and has the ability to hang out, smoke pot, and paint, while setting up his folks in their retirement home. Geez, Aaron, I'm sorry you had to have other men evaluate your body.

The best thing you can say about Maybin is that at least he wasn't stupid enough to blow all the cash.

Anyway, this article and the discussion has gotten me in a foul mood.

Eff Jauron for drafting this clown. :censored:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art is all subjective anyway, so I don't feel "self-righteous" claiming his art is crappy. I appreciate art, I visit galleries, and I wouldn't consider hanging anything I've seen of Maybin's work in my home. While his "slaves" piece is conversation-provoking, as soon as you evaluate the concept intellectually you realize (again) what a douche he is. He earned FOURTEEN MILLION DOLLARS and has the ability to hang out, smoke pot, and paint, while setting up his folks in their retirement home. Geez, Aaron, I'm sorry you had to have other men evaluate your body.

The best thing you can say about Maybin is that at least he wasn't stupid enough to blow all the cash.

Anyway, this article and the discussion has gotten me in a foul mood.

Eff Jauron for drafting this clown. :censored:

i mean, yea, imagine that - he picks a career centered around being an elite physical specimen and people want to see his build. especially as a guy thats known not to fit the needed size requirements. any job is going to require you to showcase the foundations for success in the field. he just comes across anti-establishment (like i said in my last post, anti being a part of any organization), not like he has any legitimate gripe.

calling out kelsay/schobel while praising pace for taking himself out in pass rush situations? his "i proved im better than anyone on the bills" but in the same breathe acknowledging that he would be a journeyman scraping by? the guy still clearly has a lot of hurt feelings (and i dont mean that as an insult) and growing up to do.

i dont fault him for taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him in order to find his own happiness, but it seems lame to dump on everything that got him to this unbelievable freedom that he now has.

Edited by NoSaint

I didn't read the article or read though this thread. But I will say that, bottom line, Maybin was a bust. Did the Bills mistreat him? Did he have some tough breaks? Sure. But in the end he couldn't play.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I guess I'll ask this question: was this a story anyone needed to hear/read? I sure didn't, and I'm all about second chances and forgiveness and whatnot. All Graham's story did was remind me of what a douche Maybin is. He didn't present it in "matter-of-fact naivete" -- he presented it as if Maybin's comments were a scathing commentary about the NFL we should all be contemplating.

If Graham really did intend to "expose" Maybin as the pot-smoking crappy artist he is and I missed the joke, then kudos.

Maybe he didn't have an agenda at all and just wrote an article that some people would read and think Maybin is misunderstood and getting his life together and just as many people would come away thinking Maybin is a total douche and crappy artist and in denial.

You know, his job. ;)

i mean, yea, imagine that - he picks a career centered around being an elite physical specimen and people want to see his build. especially as a guy thats known not to fit the needed size requirements. any job is going to require you to showcase the foundations for success in the field. he just comes across anti-establishment (like i said in my last post, anti being a part of any organization), not like he has any legitimate gripe.

calling out kelsay/schobel while praising pace for taking himself out in pass rush situations? his "i proved im better than anyone on the bills" but in the same breathe acknowledging that he would be a journeyman scraping by? the guy still clearly has a lot of hurt feelings (and i dont mean that as an insult) and growing up to do.

i dont fault him for taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him in order to find his own happiness, but it seems lame to dump on everything that got him to this unbelievable freedom that he now has.

It's weird that he's said all of this, like I said up thread he admitted that football wasn't his true passion. It was art. Art helps him deal with his ADD. He says he "just happen to be really good at football and it was fun." Then he said whenever he retired he would go back to the art world. So now he has sour grapes?

It's weird that he's said all of this, like I said up thread he admitted that football wasn't his true passion. It was art. Art helps him deal with his ADD. He says he "just happen to be really good at football and it was fun." Then he said whenever he retired he would go back to the art world. So now he has sour grapes?

yea, im not sure what he expected when he got into football. its more than just going out and having fun. there are contracts, and medical issues, and physicals, and theres competition and scheme changes, and.....

it comes across a little like he expected it all to be handed to him and then he would just be great by being there.... its really not surprising that his happy place now has no boss, no rules, no structure.

You know, his job. ;)

Maybe the sports desk editors don't know what to do with TG (especially now that they've hired another Bills reporter who actually, wait for it...reports, and gave him this assignment to at least fill column inches...

yea, im not sure what he expected when he got into football. its more than just going out and having fun. there are contracts, and medical issues, and physicals, and theres competition and scheme changes, and.....

it comes across a little like he expected it all to be handed to him and then he would just be great by being there.... its really not surprising that his happy place now has no boss, no rules, no structure.

I think a lot of players get to the NFL and are shocked at how nasty and tough it is, and just don't have the heart for it. maybin seemed to want to run around guys because he was super fast and sack the QB and make his millions for 10+ sacks a season, but didnt like the pain and the work and the 90% of the game that wasn't running around people because you're fast.

Maybe the sports desk editors don't know what to do with TG (especially now that they've hired another Bills reporter who actually, wait for it...reports, and gave him this assignment to at least fill column inches...

Don't know which came first. I assume he and/or they wanted him to do more feature stories, which he is better at. Plus, when Vic came back last year, Vic was better schooled and suited to be the beat reporter/insider. That's Vic's specialty. With all the renewed interest in the Bills, I think the News just wanted another decent reporter to do reporting so they brought in Dunne. I very much doubt it was because they thought TG was bad at his job and demoted him to features. They spend a lot more money on his than they do Dunne.

Art is all subjective anyway, so I don't feel "self-righteous" claiming his art is crappy. I appreciate art, I visit galleries, and I wouldn't consider hanging anything I've seen of Maybin's work in my home. While his "slaves" piece is conversation-provoking, as soon as you evaluate the concept intellectually you realize (again) what a douche he is.

It is conversation provoking in that the discussion centers on the elementary level painting technique with jumbled style and a hackneyed representation of racism and slavery intonations in the league.

By contrast, if he wanted to be thought-provoking, he'd depict himself not standing in front of cliched Civil War-era Colonel Sanders, but in front of the entire cast of characters looking to get a piece of the action from the young NFL star - not just the teams (including a large contingent of black talent evaluators and coaches), but the agents, managers, friends, family, gold diggers and assorted other parasites. A story about a washed out NFL player who's turned into a stoned pretend artist, isn't really a story, unless it's meant to be intentionally ironic.

Art is all subjective anyway, so I don't feel "self-righteous" claiming his art is crappy.

It i crappy both objectively and subjectively. The Googlebot has an art evaluation function which objectively analyzes paintings and such. Mayan's stuff graded out VERY low.

I think a lot of players get to the NFL and are shocked at how nasty and tough it is, and just don't have the heart for it. maybin seemed to want to run around guys because he was super fast and sack the QB and make his millions for 10+ sacks a season, but didnt like the pain and the work and the 90% of the game that wasn't running around people because you're fast.

yea, but the idea that he cringes about even teams taking measurements at the combine is pretty far beyond "having heart for it"

it seems the only way he wanted to partake was on his terms, and i think a lot of his bitterness would have been the same with being a part of any industry/organization, honestly. I think he would be just as quick to complain about 9-5 hours or low pay, or drug testing, or interviews, or performance benchmarks, or... based on the way that he discusses the league. thats why i keep wrapping around to the lack of structure he has created. which works for him, but outside of being born wealthy or being a freak athlete - most young adults never fathom that kind of freedom. so to hear slave thrown around when he was free to walk away any time (which he did), and benefit HUGELY (which he did) is a bit of a "come on man" moment. partaking in a job isnt slavery, even if its not your dream come true.

Edited by NoSaint

yea, but the idea that he cringes about even teams taking measurements at the combine is pretty far beyond "having heart for it"

it seems the only way he wanted to partake was on his terms, and i think a lot of his bitterness would have been the same with being a part of any industry/organization, honestly. I think he would be just as quick to complain about 9-5 hours or low pay, or drug testing, or interviews, or performance benchmarks, or... based on the way that he discusses the league. thats why i keep wrapping around to the lack of structure he has created. which works for him, but outside of being born wealthy or being a freak athlete - most young adults never fathom that kind of freedom. so to hear slave thrown around when he was free to walk away any time (which he did), and benefit HUGELY (which he did) is a bit of a "come on man" moment. partaking in a job isnt slavery, even if its not your dream come true.

Maybin was always a strange bird. Plus I think that 1] he probably came to that conclusion about the combine after his career failure, 2] art is often if not always an exaggeration of the real world to make a statement, and 3] not saying he's right or wrong, but like men and women, democrats and republicans, Americans and Foreignors, Christians and other religions, black guys see the world differently than white guys.

This puff pastry piece was basically a giant smooch to Maybin, who from what I can tell did nothing to deserve such a sympathetic write-up besides paint his frustrations and smoke a ton of reefer in his million dollar house.

Never liked Graham. Still don't like Graham.

Maybin seems like an interesting guy. Also, I wonder how much truth there is to the way the Ralph Wilson bills were run. If this is some of the truth, it's no wonder we haven't made the playoffs in a generation.

I have a client who is an ex-Bill and says that Ralph and the Bills completely turned him off of the NFL.

I hardly even watch college football, and it's ridiculous - but I said just take any of the three USC linebackers.

In 2008, I saw one minute of Oregon in the Holiday Bowl (I think). Ngata got hurt on the first play I saw. I said that's who we need to draft..........We got Whitner instead.

I think everybody overthinks it!

no truer words

We were paraded around in our underwear at MEPS when we were trying to join the military. Compensation: Precisely none. Those of us who passed all the prerequisites were fortunate enough to swear to give our lives for the country at the whim of those appointed over us. For that I never made even $50k a year.

Slavery? STFU. Go smoke your pot while you fingerpaint, you douchebag.

:worthy::worthy: