Tim Graham article on Aaron Maybin

It takes a special guy like Timmah! to take "got two women pregnant" at the same time and refer to it as a "poignant twist."

Let's face it... he's no Travis Henry! Sounds like he wasn't trying very hard.

This was interesting becuase we (or at least I) do tend to forget that these are real people with real lives. Sometimes we hear about their issues (Dareus) but often we have no idea. Not an excuse, just an observation.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I couldn't open the link, I put down my iPad and went to the beach. I just came back, still can't open it. Just so I'm clear, Maybin sucked at football, enjoys being an artist and the bills were a dysfunctional organization under the late Mr. Wilson. Have I got that right? May I go back to the beach now?

He also smokes a LOT of pot

Great article by TG. Glad to hear that Maybin is doing well and has found happiness through his artistic endeavors.

It wasn't Maybin's fault the Bills drafted him in the 1st round. He just wasn't good enough. The Bills management deserves ALL the blame!!! Where are those bums now?

There's more to life than the NFL.

There's no question the Bills were run poorly in the mid-late 2000s -- perhaps as poorly as ever in their history -- and I don't doubt they tried to nickel and dime players on contracts.

That said -- I just can't bring myself to feel any empathy or appreciation for Aaron Maybin at all. And his art sucks.

Eball, tell us what you really think. I thought that post was funny, "oh and his art sucks""

Dick Jauron was a very good coordinator who wasn't suited to be a HC. He is out of the game now because he is taking care of his very ill wife. He is a very honorable and principled person.

http://www.toledoblade.com/David-Shribman/2014/10/21/Football-hero-loved-more-for-who-he-is-than-for-what-he-s-done-1.html

I'm so sorry to hear about that with Jauron's wife. He always seemed like a class act who was out of his league as a HC. The main culprits though was the front office since Butler. I thought Butler did a decent job post Polian who put together our best defense in Bills history. As good as this defense is playing for the younger guys on here, the late 90's defenses were absolutely punishing. No one could run or pass on us. We were #1 one year.

That was a good read. It sounds like Maybin has found his passion. With that being said I believe that the reason things didn't work out here was more mutual than just the Bills fault.

Also, I probably should have mentioned in the thread of guys that were jerks but Schobel would have been a good nominee.

Actually, the only thing the Bills did wrong was not realize just how immature an individual Maybin was.

And with millions already in his pocket before he hit the field.....the only thing they could do with him at that point was wait it out and hope the light came on.

If the article is any indicator he is still the same immature, unaccountable kid that he was then.

Basically the difference between Cameron Wake and Aaron Maybin is probably only that one of them was forced to earn a paycheck and the other was not.

Wake was a near physically identical big school talent who didn't catch eyes the way Maybin did in that one modestly successful season he had at Penn State.

Wake also thought "hard work" (read:"training") was all he needed to do.

Until he was broke and hanging from the bottom rung of the pro football ladder as a bottom of the roster player in the CFL.

Then he learned how to reach deep and be mentally and physically tougher and then his physical gifts allowed him to start kicking asss on the football field.

Maybin never got that far. I have never seen a player flop around feigning max effort the way Maybin did. It was oddly compelling watching his bad acting.

All that being said.....he had the talent to be a great pass rusher.

I was disappointed when they cut him because the roster was so awful that there was plenty of room for him to be an inactive every week and hope he found his pride and stepped up.

But the reality is that the Bills knew he wasn't getting it and they decided they couldn't wait another season.

And he never did get it.

His final act as an NFL player was walking out in the middle of a charity event when the Jets cut him.

Kudos to Tim Graham for touching a nerve with Bills fans again but it's funny how many people think it's great that he has come to terms with the fact that it is everyone elses fault that he didn't make it in the NFL. :lol:

Regardless of your thoughts on Maybin (or TG) this is a very interesting read in the BN today.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/07/26/aaron-maybin-a-first-round-draft-pick-for-bills-in-2009-finds-peace-through-art/

This was a great article, and I am very saddened to hear of the tragedies in his life. But his portrayal of the NFL in his painting was pathetic. Nobody forces these guys to play football, that that's what he is trying to get across. Sorry, you got paid millions to play a game(that you weren't very good at) and want to have a pity party over it. That's the business of the NFL, if you don't like it, you can always work at Wal-Mart, or go sell insurance, or any other profession. Nobody held a gun to your head. I'd stand in workout shorts for NFL scouts in a heartbeat if I had just a modicum of talent to get me there. I'd have considered the experience the thrill of a lifetime. He claims that fans don't know what it's like to go through that. Well, Mr. Maybin, try getting laid off in a nationwide cut 4 months after getting married, and a freshly purchased house, wondering what the hell you're going to do to not be on the street. pardon me if the multi-millions you "earned" while being in Buffalo doesn't make you feel good about the NFL. Of all people, you should be the most grateful.

Let's face it... he's no Travis Henry! Sounds like he wasn't trying very hard.

Two in labor on the same day is pretty impressive. And, the article alludes to more - I wonder what the count is up to.

Two in labor on the same day is pretty impressive. And, the article alludes to more - I wonder what the count is up to.

There was a third name mentioned I believe, but no idea what the total is up to. I hope he's smart enough to hold onto his money and not end up moving in with mom and dad in SC in a few years. The army of offspring is a serious cash drain.

Edited by Augie

This was a great article, and I am very saddened to hear of the tragedies in his life. But his portrayal of the NFL in his painting was pathetic. Nobody forces these guys to play football, that that's what he is trying to get across. Sorry, you got paid millions to play a game(that you weren't very good at) and want to have a pity party over it. That's the business of the NFL, if you don't like it, you can always work at Wal-Mart, or go sell insurance, or any other profession. Nobody held a gun to your head. I'd stand in workout shorts for NFL scouts in a heartbeat if I had just a modicum of talent to get me there. I'd have considered the experience the thrill of a lifetime. He claims that fans don't know what it's like to go through that. Well, Mr. Maybin, try getting laid off in a nationwide cut 4 months after getting married, and a freshly purchased house, wondering what the hell you're going to do to not be on the street. pardon me if the multi-millions you "earned" while being in Buffalo doesn't make you feel good about the NFL. Of all people, you should be the most grateful.

Interesting perspective. And i see your points.

Thank goodness you were able to put the work in and turn it around.

I never liked Maybin for his half efforts. But i cant hate him for being drafted so high.

best of luck to him. I guess.

Better luck to you Homey !! for sure!

Go Bills!

Interesting perspective. And i see your points.

Thank goodness you were able to put the work in and turn it around.

I never liked Maybin for his half efforts. But i cant hate him for being drafted so high.

best of luck to him. I guess.

Better luck to you Homey !! for sure!

Go Bills!

Thank you very kindly! And I do wish him the best of luck as I do most people... I think eric Wood said it best to him in practice, calling him out saying he should pay back his huge salary. If Buffalo and the Bills were soo horrible, I'm sure he could give that money back to the under-privileged kids in Buffalo if it bothers him that much. :)

There is a nationwide employer of clowns and homies?

This and so many replies are spot on. Maybin was unhappy, bitter and resentful - likely toward life. Yeah, his life was bumpy, the miscarriage I seem to remember and other things but still you can't let negativity bring you down!

He just seems like an angry dude.

This article looks like it was written by someone on this board taking shots are Bills with half-facts and very odd interpretation of events; Maybin holds himself accountable for anything and went thru multiple teams without being able to latch on. He seemed to have no desire for football other than the paycheck. It is good that he appears he did not blow his salary and endorsement money on his posse.

The whine "All of the NFL owners are white" (technically not, not black is more technically correct) is old; what is a fact is all of the owners are rich or had hands in rich pockets - if a candidate has enough money he can buy in but the NFL is not going to allocate some ownerships just to make some players happy. The NFLPA should be pushing for another league, a minor league, which players could buy into and if successful allow them to make enough money to buy into NFL eventually.

This article looks like it was written by someone on this board taking shots are Bills with half-facts and very odd interpretation of events; Maybin holds himself accountable for anything and went thru multiple teams without being able to latch on. He seemed to have no desire for football other than the paycheck. It is good that he appears he did not blow his salary and endorsement money on his posse.

The whine "All of the NFL owners are white" (technically not, not black is more technically correct) is old; what is a fact is all of the owners are rich or had hands in rich pockets - if a candidate has enough money he can buy in but the NFL is not going to allocate some ownerships just to make some players happy. The NFLPA should be pushing for another league, a minor league, which players could buy into and if successful allow them to make enough money to buy into NFL eventually.

bill Polian was recently interviewed as being very much in favor of a NFL minor league. I'm not sure about it.

Regardless of your thoughts on Maybin (or TG) this is a very interesting read in the BN today.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/07/26/aaron-maybin-a-first-round-draft-pick-for-bills-in-2009-finds-peace-through-art/

"The Bills narrowed their 2009 first-round draft decision to three players and selected Maybin instead of future Pro Bowlers Brian Orakpo and Brian Cushing." :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

on top of that they didn't even have Clay Matthews who should have been the first choice :doh::doh: :doh:

"The Bills narrowed their 2009 first-round draft decision to three players and selected Maybin instead of future Pro Bowlers Brian Orakpo and Brian Cushing." :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

on top of that they didn't even have Clay Matthews who should have been the first choice :doh::doh: :doh:

I like to think Whaley can pick his LB's. Hoping we don't make those kind of blunders any more!

Now, as for OLine..... (fingers crossed for something good!)