Bills you no longer like after meeting them in person

major

After 9/11 somehow the thing that I wrote here about my experience ended up in a classroom in Mississippi where Hull's son heard it. The kid ended up getting a copy of it and showed it to his father. Mid season that year I got a personal letter plus several signed cards and pictures from Kent Hull. The letter asked how I was doing and just general "Hope this season turns around" and "Hope NY is getting back to normal" kind of stuff, but I thought it was impressive for him to reach out like that to a fan.

Super cool story.

Frank Reich!

Yes, that Frank Reich...

Many years ago, I think it was 1991, I was working for a computer store in Williamsville, NY. Rusty Jones came in and bought two computers from me. I had no idea who he was at first but as I cashed him out he gave me his info and asked if I'd be interested in delivering + setting up those systems down at the stadium! I was really excited!!! Of course I did it, Rusty Jones was nothing but class and actually took me around the locker room , weight room, and the offices. I waved to a few players that were there and in general had a great time...

Although a very minor thing, Frank Reich did a dick move. I parked in the player lot. I had to carry in each computer and monitor by myself, one at a time. The computer box was huge. Computers back in the day were much heavier and larger. Anyhow Frank was about ten feet in front of me during one of my trips in. He had parked and was walking in just like me... I asked him if he could hold the door since I had this huge box. Well he just turned around and rolled his eyes and let the door shut right in my face. Total dick / diva move.

PS: From what I remember the computers I sold them were for the strength and condition program, and might of been the first computers they used for those purposes, so that was cool. Again Rusty Jones was a super nice guy!

Frank Reich!

Yes, that Frank Reich...

Many years ago, I think it was 1991, I was working for a computer store in Williamsville, NY. Rusty Jones came in and bought two computers from me. I had no idea who he was at first but as I cashed him out he gave me his info and asked if I'd be interested in delivering + setting up those systems down at the stadium! I was really excited!!! Of course I did it, Rusty Jones was nothing but class and actually took me around the locker room , weight room, and the offices. I waved to a few players that were there and in general had a great time...

Although a very minor thing, Frank Reich did a dick move. I parked in the player lot. I had to carry in each computer and monitor by myself, one at a time. The computer box was huge. Computers back in the day were much heavier and larger. Anyhow Frank was about ten feet in front of me during one of my trips in. He had parked and was walking in just like me... I asked him if he could hold the door since I had this huge box. Well he just turned around and rolled his eyes and let the door shut right in my face. Total dick / diva move.

PS: From what I remember the computers I sold them were for the strength and condition program, and might of been the first computers they used for those purposes, so that was cool. Again Rusty Jones was a super nice guy!

I believe you. Just because you are religious . Does not make you a nice guy. Sad to hear though.

After 9/11 somehow the thing that I wrote here about my experience ended up in a classroom in Mississippi where Hull's son heard it. The kid ended up getting a copy of it and showed it to his father. Mid season that year I got a personal letter plus several signed cards and pictures from Kent Hull. The letter asked how I was doing and just general "Hope this season turns around" and "Hope NY is getting back to normal" kind of stuff, but I thought it was impressive for him to reach out like that to a fan.

Great story and the kind of thing that you will always remember in a positive manner Edited by Kirby Jackson

Met Jim Kelly at a Bills game when I saw him at his tailgate party.

He had a very dry sense of humour and said he wouldnt sign an autograph for me since I was wearing #13 and not #12 and then walked away.

He came back after making himself a drink and then signed my hat and took a pic with me so I was very happy.

Met Takeo Spikes at a strip club in Niagara Falls, Ontario and he was a nice guy.

Not a Bill but I met John Murphy and he was a total :censored:

CBF

I can't stand John murphy. I've met him twice. Once at tops it was late so the store was empty. my father and I just gave him a friendly hello as we passed by him (as we would everyone else) he looked at us like he was disgusted we would speak to him. He checked out ahead of us and the cashier made a couple bad comments about him.

The other time was at the last preseason game last year. I used to work with one of his assistants, Mike. Mike was walking from the press box with John and saw my mom and I and walked over to say hi. John was right next to him and he introduced us to him and he just walked away with out saying anything.

Many of the great Bills have been kinda oddballs or jerks (think Cookie). I think that comes with the territory though. They are sports stars who are trained to compete on the field and often they have a hard time adjusting to publicity and life off the field. I know that Thurman was always quiet and reserved and Kelly was always arrogant, but I think that's just how they acted, not how they are now.

I wonder if we should make a distinction between meeting them (a) when they were in the league, and (b) after.

They probably mellow.

Yeah that's definitely likely. I think part of what makes players jerks is the level of competition they experience on field.

Chris Spielman is one of the most genuine, down to earth people I've ever met. Now, I know people who met him when he was in college and they say he was a meathead. Just all football, all the time, no time for anyone or anything else. But his family and wife's illness softened him over the years. And he never acts "above" anyone else in the community.

as long as i've been a bills fan, i don't think i've ever met a Bill. closest i know of was after the last playoff game in Nashville. we're walking down the stadium ramp all dejected and i see a kid with a cowart jersey. i yelled hello to him and he didn't look up and then i heard his mom tell him "that man is talking to you" and he answered. was Sam's nephew and was probably more bummed out then me. His mom, presumably Sam's sister was also very nice.

there used to be an ex defensive lineman for the steelers, Tom Beasley, that called on me in a pr role. had 3 Super Bowl rings and was always super nice but of course, that was part of his job. his kid played for virginia tech and when i asked him if he hoped he play in the NFL he said "no". he worried about his health which seems pretty wise. i'd bet he's genuinely nice guy though. no arrogance, smart, calm and friendly.

last fall, my wife and another couple were entering a hotel in one of the dc suburbs to start a road trip weekend. a lanky, elegantly moving man stopped and asked if we were football fans. my buddy was in his childhood hometown and said yeah, he was a redskins fan. i told him i followed the bills. he pulled out 2 vintage, mint topps trading cards and signed them asking if we remembered roy jefferson. shook our hands and wished us a good time in dc. he was clearly looking to be recognized but we were impressed by his friendliness.

I used to wait tables at a nice restaurant in Hamburg and I've met a lot of the Bills players and front office people.

One time I was waiting on Bruce Smith and his wife. He had just finished his suspension for testing positive for coke. Bill Polian was at another table with multiple guests. Polian told his waiter that he would like to pay for Bruce's dinner which was just over $120. I explained to Bruce that Polian paid for his dinner bill of the $120. He was there for a couple more minutes and then left. He left me $2.00 cash for my tip. That rankled me a bit!

The player everyone also looked forward to waiting on was Dan Marino! Every time he came into town a local businessman would take him to our restaurant. It was always a big table and the bill was always pretty big and so was the tip that the businessman would leave. Everytime when they were done and Marino was leaving he would always find the waiter on the way out and would always hook that person with his own tip of $50 and thank them for taking care of him!

Edited by sfladave

I'm just telling you from the other side. They hate it. I'm not saying that a lot of people don't collect them but I've never met a a player that enjoyed that (they don't mind doing it for kids). It is like pulling teeth to get them to do it (even at events for player fan interaction). The 1st question is always "how long do I have to do this for?" There is always a handler too that has to be the bad guy (a role that I played a thousand times). You basically have to lie & act like there is somewhere the player has to go but basically their required time is up.

It can be a little different in less formal environments but they still don't like being bothered. Again, they may sign & even be nice about it but it is not something that they like to do. The teams often have to pay players (or incentivize them) to get them to sign autographs. When I was in New Orleans we gave Chris Paul 2 floor seats for the season ($50k) in exchange for signing 150 jerseys and 2 appearances with the VIP clients. So for about 2 1/2 hours of his time that was the deal.

I've been thinking that celebs and players must hate that now they are asked to pose for pictures all the time. I'd rather just sign an autograph. I couldn't fake a smile 100 times a day.

I used to wait tables at a nice restaurant in Hamburg and I've met a lot of the Bills players and front office people.

One time I was waiting on Bruce Smith and his wife. He had just finished his suspension for testing positive for coke. Bill Polian was at another table with multiple guests. Polian told his waiter that he would like to pay for Bruce's dinner which was just over $120. I explained to Bruce that Polian paid for his dinner bill of the $120. He was there for a couple more minutes and then left. He left me $2.00 cash for my tip. That rankled me a bit!

The player everyone also looked forward to waiting on was Dan Marino! Every time he came into town a local businessman would take him to our restaurant. It was always a big table and the bill was always pretty big and so was the tip that the businessman would leave. Everytime when they were done and Marino was leaving he would always find the waiter on the way out and would always hook that person with his own tip of $50 and thank them for taking care of him!

I think I've mentioned this before, but my wife has met Marino. Specifically, Marino tried to pick her up at a hotel bar. Asked her if she'd like to go to his room. When she pointed out that he was having dinner with his family in the dining room, his response was along the lines of "Yeah, but they'll be a while..."

My wife hates Dan Marino.

Met Ralph Wilson once just a few years before he passed. He was hanging out at one of the real seedy strip clubs off of Lundy's Lane- like not the Sundowner. Anyway he rolled in with a bunch of other real old guys and they were really yuckin it up. I'm talkin grabbing and pinching the strippers' asses and then winking at them after they'd turn around, etc. They were getting warned by the bouncers but Ralph was quick to pull out the "do you know who I am?" card and soon after, a manager came over and pretty much told the bouncers to let it slide unless he got overly belligerent. Anyway later that night, Ralph found himself in one of those real pathetic situations where he overextended himself with the lapdances and the stripper had to walk with him to the ATM and hover over him while he took out the cash. Evidently he was insisting that he only got like four dances and the stripper said he got six. So eventually he took out $100, flung it in the stripper's general direction and said, "listen sweetheart, I'm used to dealing with dames four times your age and I aint getting into it with you. You can take it or leave it" and then he blew a cloud of smoke from his cigar right in her face. It's funny too because he sounded like a guy straight out of an old movie from the 40's or something. Anyway fortunately his buddies grabbed him before there was much of an altercation with the bouncers but they walked him out right then and there. I had the privilege of talking with him outside after the incident- I actually bought him a hot dog from one of the vendors outside after one of his buddies bummed me a Players. Ralph was wasted and all disheveled, untucked, etc. (he'd been drinking Scotch all night long) but he talked about how much he loved the Bills and he thanked me for being a fan and supporting the team. The guys turned out to be his tennis buddies- they were a riot and said that they'd been frequenting strip clubs with Ralph for 40 years. Anyway he passed away shortly after that and I never got a chance to meet him again. I'll never forget that night.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I think I've mentioned this before, but my wife has met Marino. Specifically, Marino tried to pick her up at a hotel bar. Asked her if she'd like to go to his room. When she pointed out that he was having dinner with his family in the dining room, his response was along the lines of "Yeah, but they'll be a while..."

My wife hates Dan Marino.

What a friendly guy!

I gotta say that I put little stock in any of these experiences. These guys have thousands of experiences with fans, so it's tough to judge them on a few.

Obviously. We're talking about grown men who have lived on this earth for decades and because you met someone for two minutes once and he signed your kid's jersey doesn't necessarily mean that you can tell everyone what kind of a guy they are. Hell, millions of people thought Bill Cosby was a real swell guy for the last 40 years. This thread is more amusing than anything else.

I met Bruce Smith after a game against the Redskins as a kid. He was bombarded by people out of nowhere and announced, "I'm only signing his ball because he asked politely," which I did.

Andre, Jimbo and Thurman were all nice but it was later in their careers when I met them.

Jeff Burris was probably the nicest Bill I ever met.

Sheldon Jackson said he would love a home cooked meal and almost took up an offer from my ma to come over for dinner during training camp years ago in Fredonia, NY.

Charlie Joyner signed an autograph for me.

Doug Flutie went into a players meeting and said "After the meeting, I'll come back and sign you autographs." He was obviously late for the meeting. After an hour wait, he came out and signed about 10 autographs and posed for pics with everyone.

Jay Reimersma was really nice.

But by far the biggest jerk I ever met was not a Bill but Rod Woodson of the Steelers. I was 9 and asked him for his autograph and he said, "Get that out of my face kid."

Obviously. We're talking about grown men who have lived on this earth for decades and because you met someone for two minutes once and he signed your kid's jersey doesn't necessarily mean that you can tell everyone what kind of a guy they are. Hell, millions of people thought Bill Cosby was a real swell guy for the last 40 years. This thread is more amusing than anything else.

You say this, but people do this all the time-- I met so and so and he stiffed me on an autograph, so he's a jerk. My secretary thinks Mario Lemieux is a total jerk based on two 2-minute experiences.

You say this, but people do this all the time-- I met so and so and he stiffed me on an autograph, so he's a jerk. My secretary thinks Mario Lemieux is a total jerk based on two 2-minute experiences.

My friend just caddied for Jeffrey Lurie this weekend and said he was the coolest dude ever. I'll take his word on that one. He spent 4 1/2 straight hours with him. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I met Bruce Smith after a game against the Redskins as a kid. He was bombarded by people out of nowhere and announced, "I'm only signing his ball because he asked politely," which I did.

Andre, Jimbo and Thurman were all nice but it was later in their careers when I met them.

Jeff Burris was probably the nicest Bill I ever met.

Sheldon Jackson said he would love a home cooked meal and almost took up an offer from my ma to come over for dinner during training camp years ago in Fredonia, NY.

Charlie Joyner signed an autograph for me.

Doug Flutie went into a players meeting and said "After the meeting, I'll come back and sign you autographs." He was obviously late for the meeting. After an hour wait, he came out and signed about 10 autographs and posed for pics with everyone.

Jay Reimersma was really nice.

But by far the biggest jerk I ever met was not a Bill but Rod Woodson of the Steelers. I was 9 and asked him for his autograph and he said, "Get that out of my face kid."

you are the 2nd person I have heard had a lousy encounter with Rod Woodson during his playing days

A double minor

I can't stand John murphy. I've met him twice. Once at tops it was late so the store was empty. my father and I just gave him a friendly hello as we passed by him (as we would everyone else) he looked at us like he was disgusted we would speak to him. He checked out ahead of us and the cashier made a couple bad comments about him.

The other time was at the last preseason game last year. I used to work with one of his assistants, Mike. Mike was walking from the press box with John and saw my mom and I and walked over to say hi. John was right next to him and he introduced us to him and he just walked away with out saying anything.

These stories about John Murphy are wild, I have never met the man but would think he'd be a jolly fat guy....

These stories about John Murphy are wild, I have never met the man but would think he'd be a jolly fat guy....

I sold him a Beef on Weck once when I was working for the Bisons. Had a brief conversation about the Bills. He was corgel. Maybe he also knew I was working so it was my job to make small talk. Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

My brother who was 9 at the time saw Drew Bledsoe walking through the parking lot at St. John Fisher and he said Hi Drew your my favorite player.

He didnt even look up and made a shewing get out of here gesture with his hands

Lost all respect for him after that

CBF

Surprised by this.Met John a couple times and he was a very nice guy.

I gotta say that I put little stock in any of these experiences. These guys have thousands of experiences with fans, so it's tough to judge them on a few.

My experience had nothing to do with being a fan. It really did happen exactly as I stated. Although it was a long time ago, I still remember it to this day because it was one of the biggest dick moves I've ever experienced. I think the dude thought it was funny to watch to door shut right in front of me. I heard me 100% since he turned around and rolled his eyes. I wish I could tell a different story but that guy was a DICK.

I had excellent experiences with Howard Ballard, Will Wolford, and actually became good friends with Keith McKeller ( I gave him computer lessons at his condo in OP ) and as I said previously Rusty Jones was nothing but a GREAT guy to a 21 year old Bills fan.

I used to work at Adventure Landing, a place where Pat Kane and his family visit each summer. One time I decided to make a $100 bet that I could make a hole in one on any hole that he picked. I missed, didn't pay him. For the next two years the we did double or nothing. I now owe Pat Kane $300 but he was pretty cool and never made me pay...and never beat me up!

About a month after EJ was drafted, I met him in an airport in Miami. I came up to him and told him how much I loved the bills, and how much our city would love him. Then I asked for a picture, and he said "nah man, I'm kind of tired right now, but hit me up before you leave." I walked away disappointed and angry. But when I was getting ready to board my plane, he yelled across the terminal and said "Hey man! You want that picture?" so I ran over and took the picture. Loved that he did that.

Edited by JP's Voice

About a month after EJ was drafted, I met him in an airport in Miami. I came up to him and told him how much I loved the bills, and how much our city would love him. Then I asked for a picture, and he said "nah man, I'm kind of tired right now, but hit me up before you leave." I walked away disappointed and angry. But when I was getting ready to board my plane, he yelled across the terminal and said "Hey man! You want that picture?" so I ran over and took the picture. Loved that he did that.

That proves all we need to do is give EJ a little time and he'll come up big!!

Bruce, Reed, Thurman, Talley, and Bennett. Saw them all at No-Names after a game. I said "Hello", and Bruce turned his back on me, and said something to the others, and they just all laughed and walked away. That was the same night they stiffed there $400+ tab, and left without paying.

Met John Gruden a few years ago, super cool, let me try on his SB ring. Hung out and talked for about 15 minutes.

Edited by DirtDart

When I was at the tunnel for a Bills game during warm ups ( I used to always go down there before going back up to my seat) Moorman was coming out of the tunnel and I asked him to sign my Bills helmet and he said he had to go join warm ups but would sign it after the game.

Once he got on the field and to the sideline I saw him turn around and run back towards me.

When he got to me he signed my helmet and said I just realized that these probably arent your seats and you wont be here at the end of the game.

I will always remember that

CBF

When I was at the tunnel for a Bills game during warm ups ( I used to always go down there before going back up to my seat) he was coming out of the tunnel and I asked him to sign my Bills helmet and he said he had to go join warm ups but would sign it after the game.

Once he got on the field and to the sideline I saw him turn around and run back towards me.

When he got to me he signed my helmet and said I just realized that these probably arent your seats and you wont be here at the end of the game.

I will always remember that

CBF

Who are you referring to? That was classy.