Bills you no longer like after meeting them in person

major

Frank Reich- super guy, down to earth, real

Carl Bynum- awesome guy, always greeted me with a friendly hello and smile

Doug Flutie- very nice and held my new born for a great picture

Marty Schottenheimer- total class act, loves Buffalo and wanted the job real bad when Gailey got hired

Paul Maquire- loves his booze, but was genuine, foul mouth but was hilarious and real

Bruce Smith- lost me as a fan a long time ago, totally self centered, rude, disrespectful and arrogant

Jim Kelly- back in the day, not the nicest guy but seems to have really changed and humbled himself

Brandon Spikes- hate that he makes bad choices, but when I met him he was a super nice guy and totally wanted to stay in Buffalo

Eric Moulds- never met him but did meet his ex father in law who said he physically abused is daughter and was a real jerk

Cory McIntyre- super guy and great family

Perry Tuttle- awesome guy who has some sad health issues, actually goes to my church and does a lot of classes for men

Fred Jackson- treated my daughter great and signed her an autograph, made a good impression

Jeff Nixon-very nice man, cordial and friendly

***all I can think of but I am sure I forgot a few

I went to the Bills training camp 20 years ago at Fredonia. I bought one of those souvineer Bills logo footballs you buy at the fan van players can sign them. Thought it would be cool to have in my man cave where I watch Bills games. Been a fan since going to games as a kid at the rockpile. So, 20 years ago I'm in my mid-30's. Is that too old to be a fan who wants a souvineer? Apparently we're not too old at that age to spend a shipload of money on tickets and other merchandise that players all benefit from. Anyway, I approached both Fina and Hull. Both were complete dicks, especially Fina, who was more interested in taking a ride on the golf cart with his girlfriend or football groupie. Naturally, he had his leg all wrapped up. Hull gave me one of those "screw you" looks and reluctantly signed it. It wasn't as if there was a line of kids all waiting for them. Is that so hard to be gracious for a few minutes to fans, many of whom have been fans and supported the team since childhood? On the flip side, we met a lot Bills back in the 60's when they were just regular people. Butch Byrd, Tom Day, Jack Kemp, Paul McGuire - all terrific. Most were great. O.J. included. Billy Shaw was seated across from us on a flight to Buffalo from Atlanta for one of those greatest team anniverary games. Couldn't be nicer. Without asking, he gave my wife his HOF ring to check out, and then gave us signed HOF tradiing cards for our nieces and nephews.

I approached both Fina and Hull. Both were complete dicks, especially Fina, who was more interested in taking a ride on the golf cart with his girlfriend or football groupie. Naturally, he had his leg all wrapped up. Hull gave me one of those "screw you" looks and reluctantly signed it. It wasn't as if there was a line of kids all waiting for them. Is that so hard to be gracious for a few minutes to fans, many of whom have been fans and supported the team since childhood?

This is kind of what I was talking about. What if Hull just found out that his dog died or that Fina found out the leg injury was worse than he thought? Maybe they had a leak in their basement? Maybe they had signed 500 autographs already? Maybe they were going to be late for a meeting? Who knows what was going on with them at that moment but some 25 years later your opinion of them remains the same from that brief, brief interaction. That is tough.

Imagine if someone held the door open for you 25 years ago & you didn't say thank you and to this day that guy thinks about that. That is his impression of you. It is pretty difficult IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is kind of what I was talking about. What if Hull just found out that his dog died or that Fina found out the leg injury was worse than he thought? Maybe they had a leak in their basement? Maybe they had signed 500 autographs already? Maybe they were going to be late for a meeting? Who knows what was going on with them at that moment but some 25 years later your opinion of them remains the same from that brief, brief interaction. That is tough.

I've always been amazed at the sheer stupidity of these athletes when they are dicks to fans.Apparently they don't understand that if it wasn't for the fans they wouldn't have an NFL paycheck.I blame a lot of this on the organization.A top notch organization demands that it's employees treat customers (fans) with nothing but respect and represent that organization with class.

Imagine if someone held the door open for you 25 years ago & you didn't say thank you and to this day that guy thinks about that. That is his impression of you. It is pretty difficult IMO.

Point taken. I understand that sometimes guys are having a rough day and get moody. But I wasn't interupting them in a private moment with their family or while they were dining. This was an event, that in addition to being training camp, is there for the fans as well. Otherwise, it would be a closed session and wouldn't be selling souvineers. The players are paid very well to perform as professional players. IMO, part of the obligation as a player that represents the region is to being polite to the fans who make it possible for them to earn a good living. These guys bust their ass physically. How much more difficult is it to suck it up and be decent for a few minutes to those who loyally support them, even if they're in a foul mood? Gee, real tough part of the job - saying hello with a forced smile and signing their name to a ball. Poor guys.

I met Antoine Winfield at training camp when he was a rookie.

I will never forget he literally signed autographs for all the fans all the way down the fence leading to the rec hall and still posed for a pic with me

Those who remember Fredonia TC know what I'm talking about when I say that was one long fence

CBF

I think this is probably true.

I've personally never met any Bill.

I once met a 49er TE when I accidentally stepped on his foot. He was cool. Met Jaws once years ago - he was apparently a friend of my HS football coach. Also cool.

But I'm surprised at how many have had contact with Bills and ex NFL players. Where do you guys hang out???

I more or less never meet guys from the NFL. Maybe I just have poor facial recognition skills because, except for a small handful, I wouldn't recognize them if I did see them.

Work for an airline. That's my connection to all things celebrity

As a 19 year old that frequented the ballet across the border, I literally bumped into Bruce Smith, who was backing up to line up a shot for a game of pool he was playing-against Thomas Smith. I payed no mind and continued to the bathroom. It was not until I came out that I noticed that the large dude that stepped on my foot was Bruce Smith! He was a regular, and we would see hem in a corner with a group of dancers often.

I also went to a Bills charity basketball game at RIT, or UofR and got like a dozen Bills autographs, Tally, Smith, Bentley, Hull, etc. all on a Bills pennant. Celtics hall of famer JoJo White was there also, and my dad encouraged me to approach him on the bench to ask for his autograph, and the dude stopped just short of shouting me down for having the nerve to talk to him while the game was happening.

Bills:

Usually didn’t have a problem with the guys from the 60s and 70s, except for Ron McDole. Bryce Paup was a douche. Daryle Lamonica was great.

Non-Bills (just a few of the ones I have talked to):

The older guys are usually pretty good. Some take a little time to warm up, but overall they were not bad. Mick Tingelhoff, Gino Marchetti, Nick Lowery, Tommy Nobis, Maxie Baughan, Ken Riley, Marlin Briscoe, Mercury Morris, Steve Grogan, Harold Jackson, Andy Russell, Bill Bergey, Jim Ray Smith, Dave Robinson, Jerry Kramer and Eddie Meador stand out as great.

Ed Sprinkle was a little gruff, but not bad.

Don Shula was a major dick.

Art Donovan was awesome. He invited me down to Baltimore for a few beers.

Ace Parker invited me to his house. Extremely generous person. He handed me his HOF ring to try on. Heavy as hell.

Non-Athlete:

Paul Zimmerman (Dr. Z) was the only interview where I hung up on the person. Major dick.

Dan Rooney, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, Ron Wolf were all great. Ron I have talked to and emailed several times. Always great.

Ken Herock was a little rough, but not bad.

Luckily, I've never had a bad experience with a Bill. Like with most "celebs", I just try to approach them as regular dudes. Also, as a grown man, don't ask for an autograph. Like a child or attractive female ask. I will say JP Losman was a sloppy mess the times I've met him. Once with a drink spilled all over his shirt. It was then I knew he wasn't going to be a star qb.

Also, when I was underage, I saw a bunch of Bills in certain Canadian establishments. They seemed to really enjoy themselves.

if you use that criteria Kelly never would have made it...He's had drinks thrown in his face...He was a little rowdy when he first came here.

I totally get Bills fandom but it is alittle alarming you know this tidbit :rolleyes:

:D I was out drinking heavily with a former member of the Bills a few years ago in Newport Beach, CA, who decided to call Andre at 2 am and harass him and wake him up (Andre lives in San Diego) and the player (a scrub) who I was with was using that moniker on Andre's voicemail when he wouldn't answer. Then explained why he had that nick.

And yes, it's analytics.

Met Don Beebe at the McDonald's on McKinnley in South Buffalo once. Dude was a real jerk. Wouldn't give me an autograph or nothing. Turns out it was just a guy wearing his jersey though, my bad.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:.. well done!

Edited by dwight in philly

Met Terrence McGee on the rooftop of Soho summer before 2004 season. He was with two other guys from the secondary (don't remember who). He said the team was going to start 0-3 (they started 0-4). He didn't even say it in a negative way, just like a matter of fact way. I told everyone. It was amazing/sad(?) when they actually lost the first three.

After 9/11 somehow the thing that I wrote here about my experience ended up in a classroom in Mississippi where Hull's son heard it. The kid ended up getting a copy of it and showed it to his father. Mid season that year I got a personal letter plus several signed cards and pictures from Kent Hull. The letter asked how I was doing and just general "Hope this season turns around" and "Hope NY is getting back to normal" kind of stuff, but I thought it was impressive for him to reach out like that to a fan.