Dareus seems keen on staying (update: Talks at a standstill)

@JohnKryk: With 1 more good, clean season Dareus can command about $100M. Where? Sure sounds as tho he likes his #Bills bosses: http://t.co/LrIDILy9gI

We finally have a coach who will really lay it on the line for us, he said. I mean, Rex will make the tough calls and really put us in the position to win, regardless of whatever the stakes are. And hes not going to be buddy-buddy. Hes like, Youre a grown man and Im going to tell it to you like it is.

And thats what we all need. Were all grown men. To have somebody babying us, or somebody trying to micro-manage us I mean, no man really wants to ever be under somebodys thumb all the time.

😳 Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought he was good for him. But, it could have been Pepper Johnson.

Or his 3rd cousin twice removed might've talked some sense into him. Or he simply hasn't been arrested for continued bad behavior. We really don't know.

Or his 3rd cousin twice removed might've talked some sense into him. Or he simply hasn't been arrested for continued bad behavior. We really don't know.

pepper has a reputation for being able to "rehab" young, talented players who need some direction so I think he probably had some positive impact on Dareus last year. But, I don't really discount Marrone when it comes to the off the field stuff. He seemed to support him and really try to help him Marcel a corner, since he has virtually no family. That aside, Marcel clearly wasn't a fan of his "4th down analytics."

Looks like another piece of the article on Dareus's off the field transformation

@JohnKryk: A year ago #Bills DT Marcell Dareus was out of shape & almost out of chances. He got by with a little help ... : http://t.co/3Ztry8GQ0g

Edited by YoloinOhio

@JohnKryk: With 1 more good, clean season Dareus can command about $100M. Where? Sure sounds as tho he likes his #Bills bosses: http://t.co/LrIDILy9gI

I can't remember an ex-coach that's had as many backhanded slights made against him by his ex-players than Marrone. I remember the rumors of him being a miserable cuss around the building at times, but it seems like he was prickly in the locker room, too.

Anyway, glad Dareus is psyched about Rex and I hope the rumors of trying to get this done before the season starts are true.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't remember an ex-coach that's had as many backhanded slights made against him by his ex-players than Marrone. I remember the rumors of him being a miserable cuss around the building at times, but it seems like he was prickly in the locker room, too.

Anyway, glad Dareus is psyched about Rex and I hope the rumors of trying to get this done before the season starts are true.

GO BILLS!!!

i have to think that part of the reason we have heard so many players throw shade at him is because he quit on them. I think they took it personally. Sure, it was business, but hard not to feel a little slighted. Especially with some of the things he preached to them. I assume they ended up viewing him as a massive phony. Edited by YoloinOhio

i have to think that part of the reason we have heard so many players throw shade at him is because he quit on them. I think they took it personally. Sure, it was business, but hard not to feel a little slighted. Especially with some of the things he preached to them. I assume they ended up viewing him as a massive phony.

sure, there's that. But it's also seemingly overwhelmingly come across as confirmation of frustrations we thought we were seeing. If marrone stayed, Hughes was likely to say the same comments he did, just wearing a different teams gear.

We heard rumblings against him as early as his first training camp.

Heck, how many screaming matches and barbed comments in public did we get even when he was here?

sure, there's that. But it's also seemingly overwhelmingly come across as confirmation of frustrations we thought we were seeing. If marrone stayed, Hughes was likely to say the same comments he did, just wearing a different teams gear.

Heck, how many screaming matches and barbed comments in public did we get even when he was here?

i hope they channel their hostility toward his new OL on 10/25.

Yep. I even stuck up for him for awhile (at least insofar as saying we don't know for sure he's an ass) but it's pretty much everyone saying that. I was somewhat thinking Marrone was half kidding when the Saint Doug story came out. Now it seems like exactly something he would say and be serious.

Plus, I understand being a hardass with players. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it's understandable. There is zero excuse to be a prick to office workers and secretaries and other underlings at OBD. Then you're just an insufferable ass.

Yep. I even stuck up for him for awhile (at least insofar as saying we don't know for sure he's an ass) but it's pretty much everyone saying that. I was somewhat thinking Marrone was half kidding when the Saint Doug story came out. Now it seems like exactly something he would say and be serious.

Plus, I understand being a hardass with players. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it's understandable. There is zero excuse to be a prick to office workers and secretaries and other underlings at OBD. Then you're just an insufferable ass.

I know you and I heard the same rumors so I gotta believe it's a personality thing with him. Like you said, coaches being a hardass to players on the field and in the locker room is accepted at par almost, but when you're treating administrative support staff like that, you've crossed a line.

Contrast that to the optimistic vibe the Pegulas put out. I think they have zero tolerance for insufferable asses. The more I think about, the more I don't buy Pegula's comment about thinking Marrone was gonna be back initially. I think it was, "Hey Doug. There's 4 million reason to go be a dick somewhere else. Why not think about it?"

GO BILLS!!!

I gave Marrone the benefit of the doubt mainly because I think the HC should level control over the players. But all the stuff that came with his power trip was to his detriment. Even though Rex's style is more of a players coach, I do think he employs a few "hard ass" asst. coaches on this staff. Two that appear that way from watching the NYJ Hard Knocks are Anthony Lynn and Dennis Thurman. I also hear Aaron Kromer has a similar style.

Marrone must have been a cancer. He screwed up more people than he helped. Doug was all about Doug. Hackett was ridiculously over his head.

I dont know if we as fans will ever get the gorey details. i am sure they is more than one side to each subject.

Marrone was trying to motivate a bunch of losers. in his own ...way he did. and yes they were losers.

Dareus. We can only hope has a Jerry Hughes attitude about the Bills and is willing to make it work financially to play on the number one defense in the league.

Mr Whaley sound quite serious that he believes in the Kid and wants Marcel to know its true enough

I know you and I heard the same rumors so I gotta believe it's a personality thing with him. Like you said, coaches being a hardass to players on the field and in the locker room is accepted at par almost, but when you're treating administrative support staff like that, you've crossed a line.

Contrast that to the optimistic vibe the Pegulas put out. I think they have zero tolerance for insufferable asses. The more I think about, the more I don't buy Pegula's comment about thinking Marrone was gonna be back initially. I think it was, "Hey Doug. There's 4 million reason to go be a dick somewhere else. Why not think about it?"

GO BILLS!!!

I forgot who it was, maybe Leroi, but someone who had an inside source at OBD said or firmly implied that Pegula as a businessman is very shrewd and can be tough if you cross him. You almost have to be no matter how genuine and good a guy you are. I don't know what happened but my belief is that Pegula just called Marrones bluff and then all but forced him out. That makes the most sense to me at least.

I posted back in TC that my buddy said his best friend, Doug Legursky, said Marrone was out of control. He ordered guys how to stand during the national anthem, etc. Funny to consider all this in hindsight.

i remember when you posted that. I thought at the time - I hope this isn't true. Marrone belongs in CFB.

I posted back in TC that my buddy said his best friend, Doug Legursky, said Marrone was out of control. He ordered guys how to stand during the national anthem, etc. Funny to consider all this in hindsight.

I was willing to let that pass because I don't know of any new coach that comes in and doesn't do something similar just to establish certain protocols and boundaries. Sounds like Doug, unlike other coaches, kept on adding things and didn't know when to back off. The major red flag for me was after a tough series of practices against the Steelers the pre-season game that followed, he had them on the practice field the next day, in pads. That is a coach that just doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the team.

GO BILLS!!!

Piling on with the Marrone stories- I know a kid who was recruited to and played for Syracuse under Marrone before ultimately transferring to an FCS school. He was an offensive lineman and we've heard how "hands on" St. Doug is with those guys. In his final days he went to see Marrone to say thanks, goodbye, etc. Marrone cut him off and told him he would have to schedule a time with his secretary to come talk to him.

Edited by FluffHead

Piling on with the Marrone stories- I know a kid who was recruited to and played for Syracuse under Marrone before ultimately transferring to James Madison. He was an offensive lineman and we've heard how "hands on" St. Doug is with those guys. In his final days he went to see Marrone to say thanks, goodbye, etc. Marrone cut him off and told him he would have to schedule a time with his secretary to come talk to him.

It's little things like this IMO that cement the rumors. It's pretty hard to imagine him just making that up, unless he had a serious problem with Marrone on the field and wasn't getting playing time or whatever. Then someone could exaggerate the exchange when recounting it (not at all saying the kid you mentioned did).

Do you guys remember how angry Fred Jackson was after that pads practice after the steelers scrimmage?

I mean....think about it....FRED JACKSON was COMPLAINING......now you KNOW something is up!

Fred is the greatest of guys and teammates, but he will B word and complain, and he gets pissed at management.

Or he could have just matured like any normal male that age does as he grows older...

i have to think that part of the reason we have heard so many players throw shade at him is because he quit on them. I think they took it personally. Sure, it was business, but hard not to feel a little slighted. Especially with some of the things he preached to them. I assume they ended up viewing him as a massive phony.

You can take it for whatever it's worth but I know two things to be true: number one, Marrone quit primarily because he refused to fire the bulk of his offensive coaching staff and the players know that. Two, Marrone feels bad about how it went down and was second guessing himself shortly after quitting. Lot of presumptions on this website that are not at all accurate. That all being said, yes, I'm sure the players will and already do prefer playing for Rex Ryan. Edited by metzelaars_lives

These three posts pretty much hit the nail on Saint Doug's head, I think. Recall Thurman's "no comment" during the SI interview about whether or not former players felt comfortable coming around the team? It sounds like the atmosphere was pretty phukking miserable.

My belief is that Marrone wasn't stupid enough to ignore Dareus' talent, but the people who got Marcel turned around were likely his teammates, Pepper, Whaley -- and some others we don't even know.

You can take it for whatever it's worth but I know two things to be true: number one, Marrone quit primarily because he refused to fire the bulk of his offensive coaching staff and the players know that. Two, Marrone feels bad about how it went down and was second guessing himself shortly after quitting. Lot of presumptions on this website that are not at all accurate. That all being said, yes, I'm sure the players will and already do prefer playing for Rex Ryan.

I also know this to be true: 1.) I'm glad he's gone. 2.) I'm very glad he's gone.

You can take it for whatever it's worth but I know two things to be true: number one, Marrone quit primarily because he refused to fire the bulk of his offensive coaching staff and the players know that. Two, Marrone feels bad about how it went down and was second guessing himself shortly after quitting. Lot of presumptions on this website that are not at all accurate. That all being said, yes, I'm sure the players will and already do prefer playing for Rex Ryan.

which other presumptions on this site aren't accurate?

It's actually comforting that the Bills were going to upgrade the offensive staff regardless.

Edited by YoloinOhio

A lot of folks think marrone was good for MD. It'll be interesting to see how a few of these guys respond to the new style

Moron didn't run the defense (thank God)

you can do better than that. funny as, it was it isn't very truthful my friend.

what is more believable - Moron didn't want EJ (period) and after seeing how bad Orton was, he said :censored: -IT, I quit.

Oh BTW

Good for him (MD) believing in Rex

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Moron didn't run the defense (thank God)

I don't think NoSaint was referring to on the field... but rather "straightening him out". Which, I will be curious to see if Dareus decides to do something dumb again now that he has a coach who is super friendly and casual with the players.

Edited by Dorkington

I don't think NoSaint was referring to on the field... but rather "straightening him out". Which, I will be curious to see if Dareus decides to do something dumb again now that he has a coach who is super friendly and casual with the players.

that was what i was pointing at.... though in the later post i mentioned that we really dont know if he ever stopped doing dumb stuff, or if it had anything to do with Doug if he did. though its possible doug helped him make changes.

Players will do dumb chit (some worse than others) - it happens all the time on (I would say) every team

off the field a coach can ask them to be think and act smart, but he doesn't have the same control as if they were on the field.

i feel like you are stating the incredibly obvious here.

I don't really understand the whole rehab of Dareus' behavior thing. I get the guy made a couple of mistakes, but I don't entirely buy that those two incidents are somehow related to some delinquency of character. I don't recall any other incidents before those, I don't understand why some sort of intervention must have been successful for us not to hear about anything afterwards. From everything I've heard about Dareus he sounds like a great guy and teammate. TBH even the incidents he got in trouble for have a silver lining. As for the "drugs" at least he was being responsible/ a good teammate or whatever you want to call it, to be using something that is not going to cause any problems with a drug test. As for the racing, he obvioulsy got a little stupid but at least he was doing it with his teammates. Nobody is talking about being concerned about Hughes behavior or him having to right the ship.

In the article it states that he has made changes in his life as to who he hangs out with, which apparently led to some of the issues. Not sure what that means for Hughes :ph34r:

I don't really understand the whole rehab of Dareus' behavior thing. I get the guy made a couple of mistakes, but I don't entirely buy that those two incidents are somehow related to some delinquency of character. I don't recall any other incidents before those, I don't understand why some sort of intervention must have been successful for us not to hear about anything afterwards. From everything I've heard about Dareus he sounds like a great guy and teammate. TBH even the incidents he got in trouble for have a silver lining. As for the "drugs" at least he was being responsible/ a good teammate or whatever you want to call it, to be using something that is not going to cause any problems with a drug test. As for the racing, he obvioulsy got a little stupid but at least he was doing it with his teammates. Nobody is talking about being concerned about Hughes behavior or him having to right the ship.

Did you read the article? Your comments suggest you did not.

Whaley should just photocopy Suh's contract and hope Dareus signs it. If he is not signed before the season, he will make Suh + 10% on the open market next year.

The Suh contract is insane. Here is a link to 4-3 DT players and their contracts:

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-tackle

The Suh contract is so far out of whack with the rest it's stunning. $114.375M over six years with $60M guaranteed. Damn. Just over $19M a year. It's going to be interesting. I give him a Geno Akins or Haloti Ngata deal today. Heck, I'd even give him a Gerald McCoy deal. But no way am I giving him a Suh deal. F that. I'm not even sure the Bills could do that big of a deal.

The Suh contract is insane. Here is a link to 4-3 DT players and their contracts:

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-tackle

The Suh contract is so far out of whack with the rest it's stunning. $114.375M over six years with $60M guaranteed. Damn. Just over $19M a year. It's going to be interesting. I give him a Geno Akins or Haloti Ngata deal today. Heck, I'd even give him a Gerald McCoy deal. But no way am I giving him a Suh deal. F that. I'm not even sure the Bills could do that big of a deal.

i think he will get something in between McCoy and Suh. Because he just turned 25, they could make it a 7 yr deal and have him throughout his prime.

It is my understanding that many, many people who work at One Bills Drive were VERY happy when Marrone "opted out."

I defended the guy for way too long. I was really upset when he quit on the team and felt like a fool defending him.

It turns out that Marrone's opting out was the best thing to happen to the Buffalo Bills in a long time.