Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

I think nolan's lack of job security has contributed to him not being committed to 30th. If GMTM tells him he will be back next year and he is getting McEichel, he's all in like the Yotes coach. But GMTM doesn't want him back. And Nolan knows that, so is putting himself first.

Then Im pushing for Murray to just fire Nolan now and take over as HC. Plenty of GMs have done it before. If the HC isnt on the same page as the rest of the organization, then get him out of there. And I like Nolan, but this tank is more important than any of our current players/coaches.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think nolan's lack of job security has contributed to him not being committed to 30th. If GMTM tells him he will be back next year and he is getting McEichel, he's all in like the Yotes coach. But GMTM doesn't want him back. And Nolan knows that, so is putting himself first.

And wouldn't that just be the quintessential Buffalo sports story? A coach getting back at his GM by doing better than expected and desired.

Then Im pushing for Murray to just fire Nolan now and take over as HC. Plenty of GMs have done it before. If the HC isnt on the same page as the rest of the organization, then get him out of there. And I like Nolan, but this tank is more important than any of our current players/coaches.

i have thought about that too. The optics might be bad but desperation trumps that. its out of control that he is rebelling, he knows the plan. They can't all of a sudden try hard and act motivated now, but earlier they didn't give a sh*t? He should be fired for that alone.

And wouldn't that just be the quintessential Buffalo sports story? A coach getting back at his GM by doing better than expected and desired.

Major League meets Greek tragedy. Scorned players band together and start winning games to spite management only to finish 3 places removed from dead last, cementing a miserable season and a mediocre draft pick which ensures another miserable season.

i have thought about that too. The optics might be bad but desperation trumps that. its out of control that he is rebelling, he knows the plan. They can't all of a sudden try hard and act motivated now, but earlier they didn't give a sh*t? He should be fired for that alone.

Agreed.

Look, I expect the players, and even the coaches, to be trying to win. And it's the GM/FO's job to field a team that cant win no matter how hard they try.

And that's what it looked like we were doing all season.

But to all-of-a-sudden be able to pull out real effort and wins at the end just to spite the fans is absolutely unacceptable. If Im Pegula Im asking these guys why they were so happy to cash my checks while not even trying. Im asking where was their BS pride back then??

Major League meets Greek tragedy. Scorned players band together and start winning games to spite management only to finish 3 places removed from dead last, cementing a miserable season and a mediocre draft pick which ensures another miserable season.

Said that earlier today to a friend. "This isnt Major !@#$ing League!!"

Edited by DrDareustein

Agreed.

Look, I expect the players, and even the coaches, to be trying to win. And it's the GM/FO's job to field a team that cant win no matter how hard they try.

And that's what it looked like we were doing all season.

But to all-of-a-sudden be able to pull out real effort and wins at the end just to spite the fans is absolutely unacceptable. If Im Pegula Im asking these guys why they were so happy to cash my checks while not even trying. Im asking where was their BS pride back then??

Said that earlier today to a friend. "This isnt Major !@#$ing League!!"

Pretty sure Nolan got a picture of Kim and rips of a strip of cloth for every time they get a point closer to 29th place.

Pretty sure Nolan got a picture of Kim and rips of a strip of cloth for every time they get a point closer to 29th place.

This will sound pervy...but i get that motivation! As long as they share on instagram when complete...maybe takes some of the sting out of 29th

Dante, I am counting on your Sharks to completely go in the tank and lose at least one of the upcoming home and home with the Yotes.

I think they have it in them, possibly even two losses if Thorton really wants out, or wants the the GM OUT. Either way, they are my favorite team for team for now outside the Leafs, Islanders, and Blackhawks!

Why now with the good efforts vs bad teams? Just bring up the entire Worcester Sharks already and bump up that percentage!

This whole storyline is pretty pathetic. Fans cheering against their own team. A coach should be fired because he is winning too much with a terrible team. Players are taking pride in not finishing in last.

Honestly, it's embarassing. I get the end result but it seems like some fans have never played a sport in their life. Of course, the coaches and players want to win. The lust after a 17 year old is just getting weird. Obviously I hope the Sabres get the best players they can. But IMO, it's bad karma. It's a broken system to have fans cheering for their team to lose.

IMO, you shouldn't get reward for sucking. The team that just misses the playoffs should get the best chance at #1 pick and so forth. That would put an end to tanking.

But I can't root for my team to lose. It's not in my DNA. and to get mad at players and coaches for not losing kinda makes you a loser. Just don't watch and hope for the best.

This whole storyline is pretty pathetic. Fans cheering against their own team. A coach should be fired because he is winning too much with a terrible team. Players are taking pride in not finishing in last.

Honestly, it's embarassing. I get the end result but it seems like some fans have never played a sport in their life. Of course, the coaches and players want to win. The lust after a 17 year old is just getting weird. Obviously I hope the Sabres get the best players they can. But IMO, it's bad karma. It's a broken system to have fans cheering for their team to lose.

IMO, you shouldn't get reward for sucking. The team that just misses the playoffs should get the best chance at #1 pick and so forth. That would put an end to tanking.

But I can't root for my team to lose. It's not in my DNA. and to get mad at players and coaches for not losing kinda makes you a loser. Just don't watch and hope for the best.

I'm not mad at their losing, so much as their "suck it Sabres fans" attitude about it that wasn't there all year when we were rooting for them to win, with better plays.

Youve missed most of the points made in the last couple of pages.

I am with you C.Biscuit97...I just couldn't watch this year...I normally watch about 60-65 games a year...this year, I think I have seen 4. Just too painful. That being said though, how upsetting is it that they would commit to a plan this long, only to abandon the plan at the last second, for some new found sense of pride?

Edited by Buftex

I am with you C.Biscuit97...I just couldn't watch this year...I normally watch about 60-65 games a year...this year, I think I have seen 4. Just to painful. That being said though, how upsetting is it that they would commit to a plan this long, only to abandon the plan at the last second, for some new found sense of pride.

The FO is still comitted. The frustrating part is seeing that the players can magically turn it on when they want to spite the fans. Why didnt they turn it on back in October?!?!

Why didnt they say "Hell no, we're not tanking!" and make a run at the playoffs? Instead of just at the end and ruin the entire year?

Edited by DrDareustein

You know, Schopp sometimes has some interesting ideas...I heard him a few weeks ago talking about "how do you avoid the tank phenomenon"? He brought up the idea of simply rewarding teams in the draft, based on what percentage of their points (in hockey) or wins they got, after they were eliminated from contention. I realize that could be complicated, and you would have to draw the line on what the cut-off point is for elimination...but an interesting idea.

Honestly, it's embarassing. I get the end result but it seems like some fans have never played a sport in their life.

Biscuit, this is what makes me so pissed.

1) the argument that fans have never played a sport. Dude, i played D1 in a non revenue sport, in a team that went to 2 NCAA Championships as one of the top 8 teams in the country, and played against the absolute best in the sport. But never had the elite talent of the top West Coast Teams, and never came close to wining the thing.(sound familiar?)

.If you would have told me by losing to Navy (our biggest rival) and not going to one of those tourneys one year would get us an elite talent that would help us compete better, even if i was a Senior...would have done in a heartbeat and not thought twice about it. Yes, i did not play a sport and get paid(outside of scholarship), but i hate when i hear the argument that people who want this must never had played a sport. it is just not true!

2) here comes the loser word again...this fan on fan crime is all started by the anti-rebuilds guys calling the re build guys idiots , losers. morons.I guess some dude form the Buffalo News tweeted yesterday rooting for your team to lose is like rooting for your parents to die so you get an inheritance...wow really

The FO is still comitted. The frustrating part is seeing that the players can magically turn it on when they want to spite the fans. Why didnt they turn it on back in October?!?!

Why didnt they say "Hell no, we're not tanking!" and make a run at the playoffs? Instead of just at the end and ruin the entire year?

And, we are back to square one..Nolan has more control than any non-player involved...and with everybody assuming he is done after this season (I could see him quitting, even if he isn't fired), he is no motivation to do anything but win. Nolan is a fiery guy, it is part of what endeared him to most Sabres fans to begin with... just listening to him on the radio all season (and last) was painful... I love the guy, but if this doesn't work out the way management had planned, it might not be wrong to point the finger at Murray, for not firing Nolan sooner.

How about Murray cans Ted today, and coaches the team the remaining 5 games? Put destiny in his own hands!

Edited by Buftex

It was difficult to root for them to lose earlier in the season, I was cheering goals, but really not caring too much. Actually, this is the first season in a very long time in which I did not attend a game, I knew I wouldn't enjoy it and turned down many free tickets. But now it's easy to want them to lose, it's late in the season and probably 25% of the roster won't be on the team next year. The only way to salvage any part of the season is to finish dead last and guarantee one of those 2 studs. So, here's hoping for 1-4-0 at best for the remainder of the season.

They've only won 3 games since the beginning of March. The Boston win was weird, but Tor and Ari are both garbage just like them. Couldn't it just seem like they're giving more effort because they're playing other sh*t teams?

They've only won 3 games since the beginning of March. The Boston win was weird, but Tor and Ari are both garbage just like them. Couldn't it just seem like they're giving more effort because they're playing other sh*t teams?

I think so Kiko...but its the celebrating like they won the Cup after the win in Arizona...and it was widely reported they were celebrating as they felt extra motivation to spite the fans .

Mezourous speaking pre game no change to his game, he is just working harder now.

Playing "this all stared at bottom, now here are" loud and amongst a room that again looked like it just won the cup...and again widely reported players were doing to spite the fans.

That is what is irritating so many, including me