Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, what do we make of the rumors that GMTM may still try to guarantee first pick regardless of the Sabres' finish?

What exactly is the rumor? To "guarantee" the first pick, he would have to acquire every single lottery draft pick. At this point, I hope the team takes whatever pick they wind up. Instead of using assets to move up one spot in the draft, I'd much rather those be used to build a roster around McEichel.

What exactly is the rumor? To "guarantee" the first pick, he would have to acquire every single lottery draft pick. At this point, I hope the team takes whatever pick they wind up. Instead of using assets to move up one spot in the draft, I'd much rather those be used to build a roster around McEichel.

The rumor is that he'll try to secure the 1st overall pick so they get McDavid -- saw something on Twitter to this effect. Could be just that -- a rumor. Clearly any deals would only occur after the lottery, if the Sabres don't win it.

Edited by eball

I can't imagine there is a GM in the league that would give up that 1st overall pick. I heard on WGR last week one GM made the comment that just to even remotely consider it (if they had the pick) would be a Stamkos type player.

The rumor is that he'll try to secure the 1st overall pick so they get McDavid -- saw something on Twitter to this effect. Could be just that -- a rumor. Clearly any deals would only occur after the lottery, if the Sabres don't win it.

Ok, I suppose he'll have some conversations, but I can't imagine anything happening. I don't think there's any realistic price out there for this kind of deal. Like I said earlier, I'd much rather move some of those assets for someone like O'Reilly or another Kane-type deal instead. The team is still going to need a goalie too. There are too many holes and Eichel isn't far enough behind McDavid to warrant it.

edit: And speaking of Eichel, I think some who may have watched the NCAA tourney this weekend will want to say that since he didn't put up many points, he doesn't look all that great. Take a look at this stat, which shows just how much he has done for that team. Evan Rodrigues is second in the nation in scoring this year (Eichel #1). Compare his numbers this year to his previous three years. That's what Eichel brings to his team.

Edited by shrader

The chatter is basically only if the sabres secure last place and lose the lottery...this would give us Eichel as a bargaining chip to get to the number 1 spot. Thats the only way a possible trade to 1 will happen....so the trade will begin with the #2 pick and much much more....some thoughts would be...#2, Risto, Reinhart/Girgs, our second #1 and probably another prospect. I personally would not do it but it seems the sabres would be primed to do it with the talent they have accumulated.

I would consider the opposite. If Eichel is truly only a little step down from McDavid, I would entertain offers from AZ for the No. 1 pick. Eckman-Larsson for the swap? I'd do it.

We're gonna get that pick. We're gonna get the very first pick. We got the Buffalo Sabres, yeah, yeah, yeah.

I know for my own personal reasons why Im so into the tank...i remember in 2006 coming out of the lockout when the sabres were not expected to be any good. They took the NHL by storm with exciting hockey....WNY rallied around this team....everywhere you went there was sabres talk...cars flying sabres flags...people walking around town in sabres swag....the bars filled up with sabres fans wanting to watch the games with other fans....the atmosphere around WNY was awesome...I know my wife and I would plan our evenings off together around the sabres games. My father inlaw is a season ticket holder and the crowds at the arena were full of energy...I would love to have that feeling every year for the next 10 -15 years...thats what 30th place means to me.

I would consider the opposite. If Eichel is truly only a little step down from McDavid, I would entertain offers from AZ for the No. 1 pick. Eckman-Larsson for the swap? I'd do it.

OEL is an absolute stud.

I know for my own personal reasons why Im so into the tank...i remember in 2006 coming out of the lockout when the sabres were not expected to be any good. They took the NHL by storm with exciting hockey....WNY rallied around this team....everywhere you went there was sabres talk...cars flying sabres flags...people walking around town in sabres swag....the bars filled up with sabres fans wanting to watch the games with other fans....the atmosphere around WNY was awesome...I know my wife and I would plan our evenings off together around the sabres games. My father inlaw is a season ticket holder and the crowds at the arena were full of energy...I would love to have that feeling every year for the next 10 -15 years...thats what 30th place means to me.

I just got shivers. I didn't get to go to any of the playoff games that year, but I went to the "400 section" outside the arena once or twice. That was awesome. Name another American fanbase, other than maybe Detroit or Boston, (NYC doesn't count, they have a large population, so have a big following for every sport) that can get that many fans outside the arena?

The Super Bowl comes to Houston in two years, and I've already stated that if the Bills go, even if I get free tickets to the game, I'm flying up to Buffalo. There's no where else I'd rather be when that finally happens.

So what are the chances that the Sabres end up with the number two pick, no trades happen, and whoever wins the lottery takes Eichel or someone other than McDavid?

That is great. I hope this whole thing backfires on them. I can't imagine they picked up one subscriber due to this crap. Friday's paper had I think 5 stories about the fans. They were going to write those stories no matter what and in my opinion, they blew the fan reaction up 10 fold.

Saturday's paper then had an article by the art critic, of all people on this crap!

I've always been way pro News than WGR, but now it's all reversed. If only the News had more Mark Gaughans and Vic Caruccis, and got rid of Sully, Bucky, Harrington and Graham.

Link?

agreed, they win tonight and then their game in hand and boom...only a two point cushion.

this will be a DVR one for me..cant afford to be up to 1.AM, and no way will be able to go to sleep unless Sabres were down by 4 in 1st, so will just watch early AM!

I'm worried. Mainly because the Sabres next game is vs. the Leafs - and I don't see how we don't win that game. Those players are checked out.

Link?

http://buffalo.com/2015/03/27/featured/a-different-kind-of-sabres-coverage/

I'm worried. Mainly because the Sabres next game is vs. the Leafs - and I don't see how we don't win that game. Those players are checked out.

I'll have to check that out later. Twitter is blocked. Was it a condescending tone?

They took the Bruins to OT the other day.

I'll have to check that out later. Twitter is blocked. Was it a condescending tone?

Hahahahaha!

No, it was full of hope, and admiration....

It's pretty hard to describe the situation without a hint of condescension. A completely "positive" description would sound sarcastic.

"There are also costumes, which I love. One patron showed up in a shirt with swords on it and a hat with a coyote on it. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?"

"Apparently the custom now is to drink beer and eat fried things. I mean this experience is IMMERSIVE."

"Period III has begun. Jovial organ music echoes through the gallery, mocking the entire sorry proceeding."

Brilliant!