2015-16 Buffalo Bills Negative Thread

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to be optimistic about this season, but 3 things are going to hold me back until I see them in action...

1 - Crap for QB's

2 - 50 years of watching Bills football which outside of the SB years was mostly bad

3 - 15 years of no playoffs

:cry:

The oline will be terrible. Glenn regrets last year. Wood Sux, RI will never get back to whAt he was. And we are trusting a rookie at the other Gaurd spot. Kwanjo can't stop the bull rush and Henderson will get arrested soon. Sooo we won't be able to run the ball effectively. And we will suck

Actually, I welcome a thread where we don't have to be a Pollyanna or include endless caveats to a pessimistic (read: realistic) take on the Bills. Posters who dare to disagree with the sunshine crowd are flamed mercilessly, and only a small percentage of posters engage the substance of their comments. I'm not referring to the equally mindless snark ("EJ sucks!") but thoughtful dissents, like saying that the hiring of Marrone was a mistake, which everyone agrees with now. Funny psychology. What's the threat?

Actually, I welcome a thread where we don't have to be a Pollyanna or include endless caveats to a pessimistic (read: realistic) take on the Bills. Posters who dare to disagree with the sunshine crowd are flamed mercilessly, and only a small percentage of posters engage the substance of their comments. I'm not referring to the equally mindless snark ("EJ sucks!") but thoughtful dissents, like saying that the hiring of Marrone was a mistake, which everyone agrees with now. Funny psychology. What's the threat?

Thank you!!!!

CBF

I really want to be optimistic about this season, but 3 things are going to hold me back until I see them in action...

1 - Crap for QB's

2 - 50 years of watching Bills football which outside of the SB years was mostly bad

3 - 15 years of no playoffs

:cry:

64-65 were good. oops should have put this in the postivie thread.

Okay we lost the chance to be in superbowl one. i was a little kid. And pissed.

This thread is now far less negative than a standard TBD thread.

Yes, since the mean for thread negativity is 3.5, this thread is below(or above, depending on perspective) tolerance.

----------------------

The one serious negative I have is: perhaps too many playmakers? Regardless of whether we win or lose, getting the ball to all these guys is going to be a challenge. If we are winning, guys will want their shot to make a play and be part of it. If we are losing, guys will argue that getting them the ball more will turn things around. All of this assumes a positive, that can be looked at as a negative: nobody gets hurt.

Aside from Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, and of course Fred, these guys are all relatively new, or actually new Bills. IF Fred goes, then so does a lot of continuity, because Woods is only a 3rd year player. Harvin and Shady are not going to sit by and say nothing if they aren't getting touches.

I am aware that this entire issue could be flipped instantly to the positive thread, and perhaps even be the most positive concept there, if players and coaches work at this. But, I'm saying that starting from today, we are at 0 on this, and it's a lot easier to move backward than forward.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Yes, since the mean for thread negativity is 3.5, this thread is below(or above, depending on perspective) tolerance.

----------------------

The one serious negative I have is: perhaps too many playmakers? Regardless of whether we win or lose, getting the ball to all these guys is going to be a challenge. If we are winning, guys will want their shot to make a play and be part of it. If we are losing, guys will argue that getting them the ball more will turn things around. All of this assumes a positive, that can be looked at as a negative: nobody gets hurt.

Aside from Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, and of course Fred, these guys are all relatively new, or actually new Bills. IF Fred goes, then so does a lot of continuity, because Woods is only a 3rd year player. Harvin and Shady are not going to sit by and say nothing if they aren't getting touches.

I am aware that this entire issue could be flipped instantly to the positive thread, and perhaps even be the most positive concept there, if players and coaches work at this. But, I'm saying that starting from today, we are at 0 on this, and it's a lot easier to move backward than forward.

I tend to agree. I think a prime example of too many playmakers was the Dallas Cowboys of a few seasons ago. They had Dez, Austin, Felix, Murray, Witten (I think), but despite loads of talent there was no identity on offense. Play calling seemed more to me like an attempt to get everyone involved or even appeasement at times rather than actual strategy. Instead of sticking with what

This is just my opinion on the matter, but I think with a star studded roster there's a diffusion of responsibility. How often do we see players who were the focus of an offense get picked up by a team trying to buy a championship and never put up real numbers again? The Yankees have made that their business model. When you're surrounded by All Stars, suddenly the pressure is off. If LeBron isn't on tonight, no problem, Wade will pick it up. And if Wade is off too, then Bosh will step up. When its everyone's responsibility to lead the team, its no ones' responsibility. Dream teams never seem to equal the sum of their parts and I think its partly for a reason resembling this sentiment.

I tend to agree. I think a prime example of too many playmakers was the Dallas Cowboys of a few seasons ago. They had Dez, Austin, Felix, Murray, Witten (I think), but despite loads of talent there was no identity on offense. Play calling seemed more to me like an attempt to get everyone involved or even appeasement at times rather than actual strategy. Instead of sticking with what

This is just my opinion on the matter, but I think with a star studded roster there's a diffusion of responsibility. How often do we see players who were the focus of an offense get picked up by a team trying to buy a championship and never put up real numbers again? The Yankees have made that their business model. When you're surrounded by All Stars, suddenly the pressure is off. If LeBron isn't on tonight, no problem, Wade will pick it up. And if Wade is off too, then Bosh will step up. When its everyone's responsibility to lead the team, its no ones' responsibility. Dream teams never seem to equal the sum of their parts and I think its partly for a reason resembling this sentiment.

Roman addressed this in his interview yesterday with Chris Brown. He basically told all of this star players, hey, you may not get the ball much some weeks. Who knows if they will buy into that or not.

We are taking the QB out of the equation entirely for the purpose of this discussion but... The undefeated Dolphin team had three name RBs, 1-2 name WR and a very good TE and they spread it around pretty good. The great 49 teams of course had Jerry Rice but they also had John Taylor who was very good, a TE in Brent Jones who caught a lot of balls, Roger Craig who carried a lot and caught a lot of balls, and even a FB who got a good amount of passes thrown to him. It's possible.

Both of you guys are right.

What it comes down, just like it always does in sports:

1. Attitude

2. Hustle

Attitude we've all covered. We know what kind of attitude is required, by all players on O for this to work.

Hustle in this case means: when it's your turn to get the ball, make damn sure you make the play. Example: If O'Leary is thrown at, and Harvin(just picking on him, could be Hogan) is open, O'Leary better make that play. If he does, he builds trust in himself, and trust for the entire team/system/game plan. But, perhaps more importantly, he also mollifies Harvin: He was open, but it wasn't a waste. Harvin's much more likely to buy in if the rest of the guys on O show that they can do the job. Maybe even challenge him to make sure each play he gets the ball isn't a waste. All of this can be accomplished by hustle. Every guy needs to bust their ass, and every other guy needs to get on a guy when he doesn't.

But, in order for that to work, we are back to attitude.

This is why attitude and hustle will always be integrated, and integral for a winning team.