Church Shooting

No you doofus, I'm mocking your many assertions here that academia is to be idolized as the true arbiter of one's worth. I can envision you very nicely filling in for Will here:

• "So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the Pope, sexual orientation, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. And I'd ask you about war, you'd probably throw Shakespeare at me, right: "Once more into the breach, dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap, and watch him gasp his last breath looking to you for help. I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes, feeling like Godput an angel on Earth just for you. Who could rescue you from the depths of Hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her, be there forever, through anything, through cancer. And you wouldn't know about sleeping sittin' up in the hospital room for two months, holding her hand, because the doctors could see in your eyes that the terms "visiting hours" don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, 'cause that only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much.

I look at you. I don't see an intelligent, confident man. I see a cocky, scared shitless kid. But you're a genius, Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine. You ripped my !@#$in' life apart. You're an orphan, right?[nodding] Do you think I'd know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, 'cause I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally, I don't give a **** about all that, because you know what, I can't learn anything from you I can't read in some !@#$in' book. Unless you want to talk about you, who you are. Then I'm fascinated. I'm in. But you don't wanna do that, do you, sport? You're terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief."

well, no. i've been to the sistine chapel. stratford upon avon too. married 30 years to the same woman. so you are wrong on all accounts.

but nice try. never considered good will hunting a classic. will did go to harvard tho.

actually, it was a pathetic attempt.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, no. i've been to the sistine chapel. stratford upon avon too. married 30 years to the same woman. so you are wrong on all accounts.

but nice try. never considered good will hunting a classic. will did go to harvard tho.

"I've been to the Sistine Chapel."

Way to miss his point. :lol:

"I've been to the Sistine Chapel."

Way to miss his point. :lol:

didn't miss it at all. robin william's soliloquy is about life experiences versus formal education. i've had the life experience he specifically mentioned and many others: the smell of the sistine chapel while gazing at the ceiling. his lines miss the point of the converse situation, life experience without formal education. without the book learning, i would not have had the insight to look for hidden messages in the vatican's public artwork. many are quite scandalous, interesting and worthy of attention. there were some very unhappy artists commissioned by the church during the renaissance. for example, in st peter's cathedral:

Four marble plinths form the basis of the columns that support the baldachin. The two outer sides of each plinth are decorated with the Barberini family's coat of arms. This series of eight, nearly identical coats of arms forms a narrative that has attracted over the centuries the interest of writers and art historians.

The coat of arms itself represents the three bees of the Barberini family. Each shield is enclosed by a woman's head at the top and by the head of a satyr at the bottom. A papal tiara with crossed keys surmounts the shield. All shields look nearly identical, but – if examined one after another starting with the left-hand front plinth – they reveal dramatic changes in the expression on the female face. The coat of arms itself, flat on the first plinth, undergoes a noticeable deformation, progressively bulging up to the sixth shield and flattening again on the last two shields. Above the eighth shield, the female face is replaced by the head of a winged child or putto. The allegory behind the coats of arms is unanimously interpreted as representing the various stages of childbirth. As Witkowski writes:

The scene begins on the face of the left-hand front plinth; the woman's face begins to contract; on the second and following plinths the features pass through a series of increasingly violent convulsions. Simultaneously, the hair becomes increasingly dishevelled; the eyes, which at first express a bearable degree of suffering, take on a haggard look; the mouth, closed at first, opens, then screams with piercing realism. ... Finally, comes the delivery: the belly subsides and the mother's head disappears, to give way to a cherubic baby's head with curly hair, smiling beneath the unchanging pontifical insignia.[7]

Several explanations have been put forward for this unusually explicit allegory displayed in the most sacred place of Roman Catholic Christianity (the burial place of Saint Peter). Some scholars favor a symbolic explanation, suggesting that Bernini intended to represent the labor of the papacy and of the earthly church through the allegory of a woman's pregnancy.[7] A more popular tradition tells the story of the complicated pregnancy of a niece of Urban VIII's and of his vow to dedicate an altar in St. Peter's to a successful delivery.[8] A third tradition explains the allegory as Bernini's revenge against the pope's decision to disavow a child illegally born to his nephew Taddeo Barberini and the sister of one of Bernini's pupils

Edited by birdog1960

didn't miss it at all. robin william's soliloquy is about life experiences versus formal education. i've had the life experience he specifically mentioned and many others: the smell of the sistine chapel while gazing at the ceiling. his lines miss the point of the converse situation, life experience without formal education. without the book learning, i would not have had the insight to look for hidden messages in the vatican's public artwork. many are quite scandalous, interesting and worthy of attention. there were some very unhappy artists commissioned by the church during the renaissance. for example, in st peter's cathedral:

Four marble plinths form the basis of the columns that support the baldachin. The two outer sides of each plinth are decorated with the Barberini family's coat of arms. This series of eight, nearly identical coats of arms forms a narrative that has attracted over the centuries the interest of writers and art historians.

The coat of arms itself represents the three bees of the Barberini family. Each shield is enclosed by a woman's head at the top and by the head of a satyr at the bottom. A papal tiara with crossed keys surmounts the shield. All shields look nearly identical, but if examined one after another starting with the left-hand front plinth they reveal dramatic changes in the expression on the female face. The coat of arms itself, flat on the first plinth, undergoes a noticeable deformation, progressively bulging up to the sixth shield and flattening again on the last two shields. Above the eighth shield, the female face is replaced by the head of a winged child or putto. The allegory behind the coats of arms is unanimously interpreted as representing the various stages of childbirth. As Witkowski writes:

The scene begins on the face of the left-hand front plinth; the woman's face begins to contract; on the second and following plinths the features pass through a series of increasingly violent convulsions. Simultaneously, the hair becomes increasingly dishevelled; the eyes, which at first express a bearable degree of suffering, take on a haggard look; the mouth, closed at first, opens, then screams with piercing realism. ... Finally, comes the delivery: the belly subsides and the mother's head disappears, to give way to a cherubic baby's head with curly hair, smiling beneath the unchanging pontifical insignia.[7]

Several explanations have been put forward for this unusually explicit allegory displayed in the most sacred place of Roman Catholic Christianity (the burial place of Saint Peter). Some scholars favor a symbolic explanation, suggesting that Bernini intended to represent the labor of the papacy and of the earthly church through the allegory of a woman's pregnancy.[7] A more popular tradition tells the story of the complicated pregnancy of a niece of Urban VIII's and of his vow to dedicate an altar in St. Peter's to a successful delivery.[8] A third tradition explains the allegory as Bernini's revenge against the pope's decision to disavow a child illegally born to his nephew Taddeo Barberini and the sister of one of Bernini's pupils

So you're really a highly intelligent person who just masquerades around here as a complete imbecile?

You fit right in there with the rest of your Oscar winning alumni.

Alumni of my two alma maters (prep school and college) include dozens of governors, hundreds of congressmen and senators, three USSC justices, countless high profile inventors and scientists, the founders of many major finance companies, hundreds of artists, artists, authors, several high profile newspaper editors, countless dignitaries, a few foreign royals, and one US president.

Do I win?

racist

The coat of arms itself represents the three bees of the Barberini family. Each shield is enclosed by a woman's head at the top and by the head of a satyr at the bottom. A papal tiara with crossed keys surmounts the shield. All shields look nearly identical, but – if examined one after another starting with the left-hand front plinth – they reveal dramatic changes in the expression on the female face. The coat of arms itself, flat on the first plinth, undergoes a noticeable deformation, progressively bulging up to the sixth shield and flattening again on the last two shields. Above the eighth shield, the female face is replaced by the head of a winged child or putto. The allegory behind the coats of arms is unanimously interpreted as representing the various stages of childbirth. As Witkowski writes:

The scene begins on the face of the left-hand front plinth; the woman's face begins to contract; on the second and following plinths the features pass through a series of increasingly violent convulsions. Simultaneously, the hair becomes increasingly dishevelled; the eyes, which at first express a bearable degree of suffering, take on a haggard look; the mouth, closed at first, opens, then screams with piercing realism. ... Finally, comes the delivery: the belly subsides and the mother's head disappears, to give way to a cherubic baby's head with curly hair, smiling beneath the unchanging pontifical insignia.

So you prove you didn't miss his point by cutting and pasting something you read (or didn't read) somewhere else?

Good job! :thumbsup:

You're missing the point Gerald Lambeau. This is not about you. It's about something more than a lemming liberal that has visited the Sistine Chapel, but it's obvious you don't understand. The classics are wonderful and are certainly a relevant factor in molding young minds. They are not at the top of the list where academia proclaims they should be though. The best lessons come from dedicated parents, relatives, (objective) teachers, coaches and barbers. Life isn't about theory, it's about doing.

You're missing the point Gerald Lambeau. This is not about you. It's about something more than a lemming liberal that has visited the Sistine Chapel, but it's obvious you don't understand. The classics are wonderful and are certainly a relevant factor in molding young minds. They are not at the top of the list where academia proclaims they should be though. The best lessons come from dedicated parents, relatives, (objective) teachers, coaches and barbers. Life isn't about theory, it's about doing.

you didn't understand the quote that you reproduced. it's about both. it's about theory and practicality (and one becoming the other).. the arts and sciences. life experiences and library time. they are all complementary and necessary for full understanding.

that's why you don't understand. barbers never taught me a thing. (really? barbers?) coaches were mostly uninspiring and pretty intellectually light weight. teachers, parents, relatives? yeah, they mattered. but the great minds throughout history also taught them.

The scene begins on the face of the left-hand front plinth; the woman's face begins to contract; on the second and following plinths the features pass through a series of increasingly violent convulsions. Simultaneously, the hair becomes increasingly dishevelled; the eyes, which at first express a bearable degree of suffering, take on a haggard look; the mouth, closed at first, opens, then screams with piercing realism. ... Finally, comes the delivery: the belly subsides and the mother's head disappears, to give way to a cherubic baby's head with curly hair, smiling beneath the unchanging pontifical insignia.

This belongs in another forum on another site.

The US has the most liberal gun rights in industrialized countries and we have the highest gun crime rates.

And yet a smart person would realize that if you look at the states with the most aggressive gun control laws, you'll find the majority of gun crimes.

Hell, San Francisco has some of the most strict gun crimes in the country, and yet it seems any illegal alien can just find a gun sitting around in a government vehicle and use it kill a local.

But hey...there's some decent real estate deals in Detroit right now. And Chicago. And Baltimore. And LA. And lately, even NYC.

The US has the most liberal gun rights in industrialized countries and we have the highest gun crime rates.

Well then according to that correlation implying causation line of thinking, I suppose that all falls apart that the cities and states with the strictest gun laws have the highest crime rates.

Try again, liberal.

Edited by Magox

The US has one of the highest numbers of automobiles per capita, and ranks among the highest in automobile accidents per year.