Church Shooting

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you think?

I'm thinking that a elitist phuck like you considers "Rules for Radicals" a classic long before you'd consider "Atlas Shrugged" required reading.

then there's this wsj writer that seems to disagree with your outlier school: http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/04/11/capitalism-shrugged-should-ayn-rand-be-required-reading/

Oh, my, look everyone! Birdog found a journalist who agrees with him about an Ayn Rand book!

The science is settled!

You phucking dumbass.

Probably not. His school seems to have more Nobel Prize winners. Though mine has more Pulitzers. And Oscars, Emmys, and Tonys.

uh huh

I'm thinking that a elitist phuck like you considers "Rules for Radicals" a classic long before you'd consider "Atlas Shrugged" required reading.

Oh, my, look everyone! Birdog found a journalist who agrees with him about an Ayn Rand book!

The science is settled!

You phucking dumbass.

no science, moron. i'd be very interested to see a bookstore listing of ayn rand books on a mainline top school course syllabus. tasked should find it easy to locate.

Edited by birdog1960

uh huh

no science, moron. i'd be very interested to see a bookstore listing of ayn rand books on a mainline top school syllabus. tasked should find it easy to locate.

And who decided that your 'mainline top school syllabus' is the standard bearer? You and all the really smart people you paid to educate you?

That answer should be easy for you to locate.

A prominent Massachusetts boarding school. The faculty in the history and language departments believed strongly in open dialogue, and broad based reading curriculums during the years I was there; as opposed to the narrow world views you seem to prefer they would promote. We also read Machiavelli, Mao, Marx, Sun Tsu; as well as Smith, Friedman, and Paine. The value of a classical education, and educators, is that they teach you how to think rather than what to think, but of course that has no value to you.

then there's this wsj writer that seems to disagree with your outlier school: http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/04/11/capitalism-shrugged-should-ayn-rand-be-required-reading/

Who cares?

A prominent Massachusetts boarding school. The faculty in the history and language departments believed strongly in open dialogue, and broad based reading curriculums during the years I was there; as opposed to the narrow world views you seem to prefer they would promote. We also read Machiavelli, Mao, Marx, Sun Tsu; as well as Smith, Friedman, and Paine. The value of a classical education, and educators, is that they teach you how to think rather than what to think, but of course that has no value to you.

Who cares?

now there's something i agree with. but history and language and atlas shrugged? perhaps someone let you do a book report and were polite enough to discuss it without outright humiliating you. let's see that bookstore course list. or have those faculty members moved on?

Edited by birdog1960

now there's something i agree with. but history and language and atlas shrugged? perhaps someone let you do a book report and were polite enough to discuss it without outright humiliating you. let's see that bookstore course list. or have those faculty members moved on?

Yes, history and language. Philosophy was covered under those departments.

Is there like a club or something all you ****ty author's belong to?

I believe it's called CLUB ITISTY, which stands for I Think I'm Smarter Than You. The premise of the club is that they determine what books are considered classics, then read them, and then are instantly smarter than you.

Let me give you an example. Say you're tending bar at a wine-and-cheese gathering in the performing arts hall of your university to earn money for tuition. While mixing a drink, you hear someone say "I lost my right hand in an accident recently, but it's okay because it's all for the greater good."

You turn to the person and say, with a wry smile, "Oh, were you a student of Dr. Pangloss?"

This immediate reference to Voltaire's Candide would ultimately classify you to be a member of Club ITISTY, right?

WRONG!

First of all, CLUB ITISTY never agreed that Voltaire's Candide was a classic novel, so therefore anything you know about the book does not qualify you to hang out with those who, by their own definition, are smarter than you.

Second of all, you're working for your tuition money, and everyone in CLUB ITISTY knows it's better to tell the university you're part Cherokee so you can get federal funds for your tuition and have more time to hang out with your smart friends at CLUB ITISTY!

I believe it's called CLUB ITISTY, which stands for I Think I'm Smarter Than You. The premise of the club is that they determine what books are considered classics, then read them, and then are instantly smarter than you.

Let me give you an example. Say you're tending bar at a wine-and-cheese gathering in the performing arts hall of your university to earn money for tuition.

Us members of CLUB IKISTY can't stand those ITISTY dipshits.

And we didn't have wine and cheese. We had afternoon tea. (Yeah...no ****.)

you asked a very specific question. i provided evidence to support my assertion. i left out a step that you clearly couldn't formulate on your own: top prep school emphasize the classics. but you really don't care if he read the classics or that many of the leaders of the western world did. it doesn't matter. it's a joke.

except that it does and it isn't.

wow. why not link? then we can place your alma mater. i'm guessing i didn't play high school sports against you in wny.

No you doofus, I'm mocking your many assertions here that academia is to be idolized as the true arbiter of one's worth. I can envision you very nicely filling in for Will here:

• "So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the Pope, sexual orientation, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. And I'd ask you about war, you'd probably throw Shakespeare at me, right: "Once more into the breach, dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap, and watch him gasp his last breath looking to you for help. I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes, feeling like Godput an angel on Earth just for you. Who could rescue you from the depths of Hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her, be there forever, through anything, through cancer. And you wouldn't know about sleeping sittin' up in the hospital room for two months, holding her hand, because the doctors could see in your eyes that the terms "visiting hours" don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, 'cause that only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much.

I look at you. I don't see an intelligent, confident man. I see a cocky, scared shitless kid. But you're a genius, Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine. You ripped my !@#$in' life apart. You're an orphan, right?[nodding] Do you think I'd know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, 'cause I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally, I don't give a **** about all that, because you know what, I can't learn anything from you I can't read in some !@#$in' book. Unless you want to talk about you, who you are. Then I'm fascinated. I'm in. But you don't wanna do that, do you, sport? You're terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief."