Vernon Davis blames Greg Roman

Man those comments hardly support Davis... That story kind of rips him apart also, even if it isn't trying to. "Skipped OTAs last year" "Major Injuries"

At least the Niners will get the #1 overall pick.

Look at the comments in the Niners thread... Funny stuff.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182691-you-agree-vernon-davis/

"sure i agree with him and the game planning, most of the game planning was to get him the ball 60% of the time... and since he dropped about 50% of them, the game planning had to blamed.."

Edited by Beef Jerky

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Some interesting stats. Davis was only targeted 50 times (about 3/game) with 31 catchable balls last season (about 2/game). That actually supports what he's saying about safety coverage. He had 5 drops over the season, or about 1 drop every 3 games. That he only caught 26 balls is shocking. While his drop rate of 10% on targeted balls isn't great, him dropping 1 out of every 6 catchable balls is bad. It's a small sample size so one or two drops that were out of his control (getting hit by a safety for example) would skew it considerably. And what's with Kaep missing him on almost 40% of the targets to him? Maybe that's why Roman changed the scheme to take away throws down the seam to Davis - Kaep wasn't completing them.

This situation is definitely not an indictment of Roman, though. Without knowing the reasons why he deemphasized Davis' role we can't do that. There obviously are legitimate reasons he could have done so. Also it's no surprise that a guy like Davis who is coming up on his next contract wouldn't like his role being deemphasized.

Edited by BarleyNY

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Some interesting stats. Davis was only targeted 50 times (about 3/game) with 31 catchable balls last season (about 2/game). That actually supports what he's saying about safety coverage. He had 5 drops over the season, or about 1 drop every 3 games. That he only caught 26 balls is shocking. While his drop rate of 10% on targeted balls isn't great, him dropping 1 out of every 6 catchable balls is bad. It's a small sample size so one or two drops that were out of his control (getting hit by a safety for example) would skew it considerably. And what's with Kaep missing him on almost 40% of the targets to him? Maybe that's why Roman changed the scheme to take away throws down the seam to Davis - Kaep wasn't completing them.

This situation is definitely not an indictment of Roman, though. Without knowing the reasons why he deemphasized Davis' role we can't do that. There obviously are legitimate reasons he could have done so. Also it's no surprise that a guy like Davis who is coming up on his next contract wouldn't like his role being deemphasized.

From what I heard, the seam route had been the Niners bread and butter. Teams got wise, and started to scheme that. When their line got injured they lost the ability to ram the ball down their opponents throat. With Davis taken out of the picture they had no way to make their opponents pay deep for stacking the box.

Maybe if Kaep was more accurate they could have relied more on their WRs deep, but that was never the case.

Unlike there, Roman has receivers (Sammy, Harvin, Clay and Shady) who are great at picking up YAC. I just hope they pull it off.

From what I heard, the seam route had been the Niners bread and butter. Teams got wise, and started to scheme that. When their line got injured they lost the ability to ram the ball down their opponents throat. With Davis taken out of the picture they had no way to make their opponents pay deep for stacking the box.

Maybe if Kaep was more accurate they could have relied more on their WRs deep, but that was never the case.

Unlike there, Roman has receivers (Sammy, Harvin, Clay and Shady) who are great at picking up YAC. I just hope they pull it off.

Yes, it certainly looks like teams were taking that seam route away. Gore ran well with over 1100 yards so I suspect the WRs - particularly Crabtree - had a lot to do with that. Boldin is (was) a great WR and had over 1k yards last season, but he's not really a big deep threat anymore and that wasn't ever really his game. Crabtree is the guy they've depended on to be that and he looks about done due to injuries. Without teams worrying about getting beat over the top it is a lot easier for them to regularly cover a TE seam route. I'm not sure what an OC does about that situation, other than ask for such a player to be added to the roster.