Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

No. I will be thrilled and I will say, wow you were right, I didn't see that one coming. That's merely a battle in the war though. He's gotta keep the job and develop into a guy who could someday become our guy. I just don't think that's likely to happen. Is that bad?

Metz, so why do you keep involving yourself into arguments that you may not need not enter?? You have doubts, as do all of the EJ "supporters/defenders" and yet you are willing to accept that EJ might have the potential. That sir might make you an (minor) EJ supporter.

Myself, as usual I will watch him stare down his first option. And of course a good D will pounce on that. Then get a reciever almost killed being unable to time his passes. Then I will watch anything towards the sideline go wildly out of bounds. A couple of awesome dirt balls ala the tampa game and you got it. Basically it's called accuracy issues. But he is a great guy I wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong.

Some are more worried about your what 18 month crusade on a first round reach by Nix? How will you handle that crash and burn? What will be the next crusade that never ends? really it has been literraly hundreds of posts with all basically saying the same. it is tiring.

get a receiver almost killed being unable to time his passes

I may be mistaken but I believe that type of contact is illegal in the NFL.

WRT to accuracy. HE WAS A FREAKING ROOKIE in 2013. I'm pretty sure you could say that over 80% of all rookies have accuracy issues!

really it has been literally hundreds of posts with all basically saying the same. it is tiring

And there haven't been literally 1,000's of EJ sucks posts? You see them every hour!!

Yes. It is tiring. Tell you what. Stop saying EJ SUCKS and is a failure and the EJ defenders won't have to defend him regarding poor analyses.

Are we voting on what we think is most probable, or what we'd like to see happen? :rolleyes:

vote and then explain if you think an explanation is needed.

Let me ask you guys something. What do you think are the percent chances that EJ a) wins the job this summer, b) plays well enough to keep the job all season, does a solid job and leads the Bills to the playoffs and c) is the Bills' unquestioned starter week 1 2017.

I'd go:

a) 30%

b) 14%

c) 9%

What say you?

A) 80%

B) 80%

and if B happend

C) 100%

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tannehill's 37%, 82 yards, 3.0 avg, 7 sacks, and 0 points is even worse.

And that was in his 31st game, lol...

as you know , tannehill is often getting compared to EJ.

Ryan has shown he can be efficient enough at times.

But his ceiling is probably not that high.

and the Dolphins might be able to win enough games with this year

Having a decent surrounding cast..

sound familiar?

Tannehill had shown much more than him as a QB.

Coaching.

OMG, a second-year player sucked for two games!!! Unbelievable!!! Tannehill and all other quarterbacks have bad games against good defenses, dude. This isn't rocket science. The Dolphins simply stuck with their guy instead of bailing. A lot of it had to do with Tannehill's college coach being his OC...he knew Tannehill just needed time to adjust to the NFL. Pretty simple stuff.

I think you need to calm down a bit.

The poster I responded to said that Houston game was the extreme example of a bad day...soooooo melodramatic. It's funny what some people say here.

Most of us saw a certain future first ballot hall of famer have a 40% completion percentage, two picks and a 34 passer rating against a good defense in his 11th season.

People make up their minds then go find the facts to support their opinion.

Reality is the experts are certain they don't know enough to conclude EJs ability to play in the NFL as a starting qb.

Let me ask you guys something. What do you think are the percent chances that EJ a) wins the job this summer, b) plays well enough to keep the job all season, does a solid job and leads the Bills to the playoffs and c) is the Bills' unquestioned starter week 1 2017.

I'd go:

a) 30%

b) 14%

c) 9%

What say you?

A) 39%

B) 74%

C) 90%

I looked at them cumulative though. If he does win the job, which is less then 50%, I will be very surprised if we don't go to the playoffs. We should go to the playoffs with any of the three of these jokers barring catastrophic injury to a few top players. If he is the QB and we go to the playoffs he's almost guaranteed to start the next year unless Whaley can pull off a crazy trade for a franchise guy but those just don't become available very often.

People are underestimating the talent we have and the difference coaching makes. Rex has been part of staffs of four separate teams where they went deep in the playoffs with crappy QBs. Roman has been part of three with decent QBs.

I'd go:

a) 30%

b) 14%

c) 9%

What say you?

a) 33%

b) 50%

(I agree with Bandit C and B are the same question)

A) 39%

B) 74%

C) 90%

I looked at them cumulative though. If he does win the job, which is less then 50%, I will be very surprised if we don't go to the playoffs. We should go to the playoffs with any of the three of these jokers barring catastrophic injury to a few top players. If he is the QB and we go to the playoffs he's almost guaranteed to start the next year unless Whaley can pull off a crazy trade for a franchise guy but those just don't become available very often.

People are underestimating the talent we have and the difference coaching makes. Rex has been part of staffs of four separate teams where they went deep in the playoffs with crappy QBs. Roman has been part of three with decent QBs.

That can't be emphasized enough in my opinion, even though it's brought up a lot. The more I hear about this offense having motion and real wrinkles and layers to the scheme, the more convinced I am that Marrone and Hackett were just completely out of their element. This team will improve by two wins on coaching alone (especially for those who don't count the last win of the year as a legit win). If EJ/Taylor/Meh can be half way competent (not a stretch to imagine that happening), the Bills will be playing deep into January.

yes, he actually assigned 1/2 percentage points. He had Ej at 10% just a few days ago.

Means nothing but he is at OBD a lot so, who knows.

It looks like one minicamp practice changed his percentages a good deal. Sal needs to do better.

Fwiw, on his radio show just now Sal just updated his projection to 50% Cassel 27.5% TT 22.5% EJ

Sal must be an idiot. I laugh at the guys on WGR when I occasionally listen through their live streaming radio. You can tell they know very little about NFL football and they're just trying to "wing it". He probably wrongly predicted that Cassel was their guy (like a lot of people) and he's too embarrassed to admit he blew it. LOL

Sal must be an idiot. I laugh at the guys on WGR when I occasionally listen through their live streaming radio. You can tell they know very little about NFL football and they're just trying to "wing it". He probably wrongly predicted that Cassel was their guy (like a lot of people) and he's too embarrassed to admit he blew it. LOL

Maybe his opinion lines up with Schopp's so they can actually talk when he's on their show.

he admitted he was wrong that Cassel would look like the clear starter in OTAs, but still thinks he will be the de facto 1st string in tc.

I think there is a big difference between wanting, evaluating, and predicting in regards to our three headed monster at QB. It's very possible that all three of the important evaluators at OBD see things differently as to who is winning or losing the competition, or who they expected or wanted to win it, between Whaley, Rex, and Roman.

It could easily be that Sal believed that The Bills brain trust thought that Cassel would win it because he is the vet and because everyone knows that what we need is a caretaker and not a gunslinger. But that may not be what they wanted to happen or what they saw happening. I have changed my mind, too, since this all started, even without seeing the practices. I thought the job was Cassel's to lose. But if he is looking awful and EJ is looking better, and Taylor is holding his own and could be a backup, then the percentages change substantially.

If I HAD to bet, I still think that Cassel is the day one starter. But right now I think each of them still has a 25+% chance of starting. And I would not at all be surprised if EJ started, and I give him a much better chance now than I did a month or two ago.

Sal actually coached HS football, so he does know a bit more than some of the other guys.

I haven't listened to WGR in years, so I can't say what they're like nowadays.

I think there is a big difference between wanting, evaluating, and predicting in regards to our three headed monster at QB. It's very possible that all three of the important evaluators at OBD see things differently as to who is winning or losing the competition, or who they expected or wanted to win it, between Whaley, Rex, and Roman.

It could easily be that Sal believed that The Bills brain trust thought that Cassel would win it because he is the vet and because everyone knows that what we need is a caretaker and not a gunslinger. But that may not be what they wanted to happen or what they saw happening. I have changed my mind, too, since this all started, even without seeing the practices. I thought the job was Cassel's to lose. But if he is looking awful and EJ is looking better, and Taylor is holding his own and could be a backup, then the percentages change substantially.

If I HAD to bet, I still think that Cassel is the day one starter. But right now I think each of them still has a 25+% chance of starting. And I would not at all be surprised if EJ started, and I give him a much better chance now than I did a month or two ago.

I think that Manuel's last OTA practice nailed his spot as the Bills number one QB going into training camp. IMO Cassel was always the back up "Plan B" for the Bills and it appears that there might be a question if he can fulfill that roll.

People in the media need to realize that practice performance greatly matters in this QB race. EJ is 25 years old now, if he's outplaying a 33 year old journeyman in practice then it's shocking to me that there are guys like Sal who still have this great faith in Cassel beating Manuel for the starting job.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think that Manuel's last OTA practice nailed his spot as the Bills number one QB going into training camp. IMO Cassel was always the back up "Plan B" for the Bills and it appears that there might be a question if he can fulfill that roll.

People in the media need to realize that practice performance greatly matters in this QB race. EJ is 25 years old now, if he's outplaying a 33 year old journeyman in practice then it's shocking to me that there are guys like Sal who still have this great faith in Cassel beating Manuel for there starting job.

I don't agree with that at all. EJ has to prove that he can read defenses and make decisions when the heat is on and throw the ball with good fundamentals and accuracy when that happens. Nothing he has been put through so far would show that. Cassel has proven he can do that at least on a manageable basis.

I don't agree with that at all. EJ has to prove that he can read defenses and make decisions when the heat is on and throw the ball with good fundamentals and accuracy when that happens. Nothing he has been put through so far would show that. Cassel has proven he can do that at least on a manageable basis.

You're right about Cassel throwing with good fundamentals and accuracy....to the other team!! Cassel has been a turnover machine as of last and that's one attribute Rex does not like or want in his QB. EJ has always been able to read defenses. It's been his hesitancy to trust his read and deliver the ball. Reports are that he's improving in that area and with any type of protection from the big nasties, he should be due for a break out year.