Colts hang "AFC Finalist" banner at Lucas Oil

Winning your division is a regular season achievement. The banner should commemorate the milestone win not the last place you walked into a loss at.

It is fine to hang a final four banner. Is it okay to hang a national runner-up banner?

You make a good point and I tend to agree. I just am not sure where the line is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is fine to hang a final four banner. Is it okay to hang a national runner-up banner?

You make a good point and I tend to agree. I just am not sure where the line is.

I suppose the final four participants do it, as a curveball.... But that's been pretty built up- and I might argue signifies winning your bracket to get there as what gets it back on track. Like someone else pointed out with conference championships, you've won your segment to get in

Plus everyone does it, so you aren't the weirdo.

Maybe sweet sixteen? People hang that sometimes? It's almost a better matchup in tournament structure, I guess.

I suppose the final four participants do it, as a curveball.... But that's been pretty built up- and I might argue signifies winning your bracket to get there as what gets it back on track. Like someone else pointed out with conference championships, you've won your segment to get in

Maybe sweet sixteen? People hang that sometimes? It's almost a better matchup in tournament structure, I guess.

Lots of team hang sweet sixteen banners, and the NFL playoffs are a tournament. I don't like the wording but think hanging a banner for their postseason run is ok because they won 2 playoff games. That's not easy and something worth celebrating (just maybe not with the memory of "oh yeah we blew it").

Lots of team hang sweet sixteen banners, and the NFL playoffs are a tournament. I don't like the wording but think hanging a banner for their postseason run is ok because they won 2 playoff games. That's not easy and something worth celebrating (just maybe not with the memory of "oh yeah we blew it").

But even then the ncaa has marketed the hell out of the accomplishment. Winning in the divisional round? Not so much.

College basketball is a different animal. There are how many D1 teams? Making the tournament is an achievement and the various rounds have been "glorified." I believe most successful programs hang banners for the S16, E8, and F4. I would not be a fan of a "national runner-up" banner.

"AFC Finalist" is as lame as it gets.

They should just hang a division champs banner. I know that seems like a mundane accomplishment right now for the Colts, one day it will not.

Being an Atl Braves fan it always seemed like a lesser accomplishment to just win the div and make the playoffs. Now many of us would kill for that.

Anything regarding post season play is alien to an entire generation of Bills fans.So, the confusion is understandable.

read a post somewhere on this forum that the team had a " great season" last year. In regards to a 9-7' team last season beating a playoff teams JV squad. To achieve that greatness. How low things have been for so long. So if the sign was hanging

On the Ralph doubtful there would be complaints. maroon had a fake Lombardi hanging in the fieldhouse.

its all a matter

Of how fans/ coaches/ front offices perceive their team. In the end it's probably is to build some excitement like Marrons cardboard Lombardi.

That's a whole lot of negativity.

Brady without Gronk? Sure I'll give you that handicap. Brady not caring about winning in the first half when we controlled the game? I don't believe that for a second.

A lot of the confusion is that they won the AFC South so why not add another AFC South banner? I would think that would be more reputable but to each their own.

Setting up a motivational tool in the field house is not like hanging a banner for an achievement that doesn't necessarily mean much.

In the end it is just how they do it. Like how the Lions count playoff appearances.

Anything regarding post season play is alien to an entire generation of Bills fans.So, the confusion is understandable.

read a post somewhere on this forum that the team had a " great season" last year. In regards to a 9-7' team last season beating a playoff teams JV squad. To achieve that greatness. How low things have been for so long. So if the sign was hanging

On the Ralph doubtful there would be complaints. maroon had a fake Lombardi hanging in the fieldhouse.

its all a matter

Of how fans/ coaches/ front offices perceive their team. In the end it's probably is to build some excitement like Marrons cardboard Lombardi.

I got to agree with you here. When I read that I kind of chuckled & said man we have been down for a long time if last year is considered a great season.

I think it's especially odd that this is a team that wins it's division and makes the playoffs virtually every year, has been AFC Champs twice in the last decade and won a SB in that time - and would consider winning a couple playoff games an accomplishment.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I do agree AFC finalist is kinda cheesy. But what they did in the playoffs was a lot more impressive than winning the crappiest division in the NFL. Division titles are overrated. Seattle and Carolina won divisions at 7-9.

My thoughts exactly. The name is cheesy but was the best description of their greatest accomplishment of the season (winning in the AFC wildcard and divisional rounds). The colts being in the AFC championship game will be how they and we remember their season (deflategate obviously helps our memory retention); just like how we always remember that the Jets made back to back AFC championships (I don't think they hung a banner though). I believe they just wanted to commemorate their success with something physical.

Their division is crap so they wanted to show they did a little more. Short sighted possibly because people will probably forget the terrible division later.

I don't mind them putting up banners when the getting is good. Success doesn't last forever.

As for the NCAA basketball, I think we all agree there is more parity in the NFL then with the 300 D1 teams in NCAA basketball. I am confused why Final Four or Elite 8 banners are ok but National Runner Up is not. I would think the players have >= pride and <= regret when they look at a National Runner Up Banner versus a Final Four Banner.

I still need to learn how to use multiquote. :oops: