What is the point of Matt Simms?

Not to nitpick, but what is the purpose of this signing when a proven vet like Mike Vick is out there?

I get the idea of a "camp arm", but when there's no proven starter on this roster, why not sign someone to make this a serious competition?

I'm leaning 90-10 that Simms will be cut before the season starts, and I get his ties to Rex from his Jets days, but I think that's all this is and essentially serves no purpose.

This team is a game-manager-at-best/ don't-lose-the-game QB away from contending for the division (with New England behind the eight ball for the first month...well, til June 23rd, anyway). Why not be a little more damn serious about it?!

Just seems as if the organization is going through the motions with this Quarterback "competition".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to nitpick, but what is the purpose of this signing when a proven vet like Mike Vick is out there?

I get the idea of a "camp arm", but when there's no proven starter on this roster, why not sign someone to make this a serious competition?icki

I'm leaning 90-10 that Simms will be cut before the season starts, and I get his ties to Rex from his Jets days, but I think that's all this is and essentially serves no purpose.

This team is a game-manager-at-best/ don't-lose-the-game QB away from contending for the division (with New England behind the eight ball for the first month...well, til June 23rd, anyway). Why not be a little more damn serious about it?!

Just seems as if the organization is going through the motions with this Quarterback "competition".

You are nit picking.

They don't think Vick is a good fit for this team or else they would sign him.

Maybe Simms will get cut, but if a QB gets injured, he will come back.

They are not 'going through the motions', are they going through the motions with 5 tackles on the roster even though they'll only keep 3?

I get the idea of a "camp arm", but when there's no proven starter on this roster, why not sign someone to make this a serious competition?

There are a lot of reasons to not sign Vick. He wouldn't come cheap. He is injury prone. He would add controversy to the QB competition. If they decide to trade EJ (certainly a possibility), Simms makes sense as a third stringer. In that situation, he would be a better third stringer than Tuel.

And, considering how the QB "competition" went in Jersey, it doesn't seem like Rex thinks very highly of Vick. I would imagine they were considering him when they decided to sign Cassel. Really, rather than Simms, the more apt question would be, "why Cassel over Vick?"

Edited by Rocky Landing

(...)

Are you trolling? It's good if so...I cant tell

If not, please reflect that Vick was on the Jets last year. If Rex thought he was better than or even competitive with, Cassel Manuel and Taylor, he'd already be here.

As for Simms, who knows? Maybe Tuel wasn't picking up the playbook as Roman wanted and Rexy knows Simms has a better football mind. Maybe he has a better arm as well. And his football mind came here carrying intel on the Jets new playbook.

He makes the team. They would have keep tuel for just camp arm. They did not. That's why he makes the team.

Now YOU, I KNOW you're trollin'

This thread title made me laugh. So existential...

whats that mean? Existential.

i mean what does it really mean?

Seriously. Whats the point of any of us???

camp bodies. so dont get your hopes up.

There are a lot of reasons to not sign Vick. He wouldn't come cheap. He is injury prone. He would add controversy to the QB competition. If they decide to trade EJ (certainly a possibility), Simms makes sense as a third stringer. In that situation, he would be a better third stringer than Tuel.

And, considering how the QB "competition" went in Jersey, it doesn't seem like Rex thinks very highly of Vick. I would imagine they were considering him when they decided to sign Cassel. Really, rather than Simms, the more apt question would be, "why Cassel over Vick?"

good post

Are you trolling? It's good if so...I cant tell

If not, please reflect that Vick was on the Jets last year. If Rex thought he was better than or even competitive with, Cassel Manuel and Taylor, he'd already be here.

As for Simms, who knows? Maybe Tuel wasn't picking up the playbook as Roman wanted and Rexy knows Simms has a better football mind. Maybe he has a better arm as well. And his football mind came here carrying intel on the Jets new playbook.

Now YOU, I KNOW you're trollin'

another good post.

doing Phil a favor is my wild guess. lets not forget Rex was considering broadcasting and had offers!

Edited by 3rdand12

I suspect it is insurance in case one of the 3 primary guys would rather get cut than be #3 or under performs and IS cut. Simms is a much more logical number three than Manuel, Cassell or Taylor and is likely an upgrade on Tuel (though that isnt clear).

Sadly, Simms is not clearly worse that whoever the hell our back up looks to be...and our back up is not clearly worse than whoever the hell our starter is.

In ordinary times I would agree that there is no point to Simms.

We live in extraordinary times.