What is the point of Matt Simms?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, right? WE could have had Tebow!

Not to nitpick, but what is the purpose of this signing when a proven vet like Mike Vick is out there?

I get the idea of a "camp arm", but when there's no proven starter on this roster, why not sign someone to make this a serious competition?

I'm leaning 90-10 that Simms will be cut before the season starts, and I get his ties to Rex from his Jets days, but I think that's all this is and essentially serves no purpose.

This team is a game-manager-at-best/ don't-lose-the-game QB away from contending for the division (with New England behind the eight ball for the first month...well, til June 23rd, anyway). Why not be a little more damn serious about it?!

Just seems as if the organization is going through the motions with this Quarterback "competition".

If Matt Simms was any good and had any chance at being a quality NFL QB, or even a 2nd string, Chan Gailey would have had him in the competition with the Jets. They need a QB as bad as the Bills do, why just let him go if he was any good?

He is no different than Jeff Tuel, except for the fact that he is Rex Ryan's guy from NY. Like Tuel, he was undrafted for a reason. He was not even a starter in college, except for at "El Camino College." (Seriously.)

Against the Dolphin's starters in 2013 (his only extended action), he was 9-18, 79 yards, 1 interception, 1 lost fumble.

His career stats are 4 games, 19-39, 48.7% completion, 195 yards, 1 td, 1 int, 1 lost fumble. (The TD was against the Bills.)

But, people all say EJ Manuel can't play and will never be an NFL QB, and you rather keep this over the Bills 1st round draft pick from 2013? Matt Simms is straight garbage. He is nothing more than a camp arm and practice squad player.

And, last, but certainly not least...Rex Ryan kept MIKE VICK over him last year. That says enough, right there.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

“He’s got a really good arm and can make all the throws,” Hogan told Buffalobills.com. “I’ve worked with him a few times in the offseason and he can really spin it. He doesn’t mind bad weather, wind, it doesn’t matter with that arm he’s got.

Bills WR Chris Hogan grew up one town over from Simms, and the two have worked together in the offseason the last few years.

Edited by ALF

I hope I'm wrong...but I suspect Ryan is less than impressed with the three qbs we have right now and he is still looking. Nobody seems to be raving about any of the three we have, even on this board...I don't think bringing Matt Simms is in a good sign.

Rex specifically said he isn't part of the competition for starting QB, but is competing to make the roster.

I stopped reading after Vick.

Simms is hear because Rex is familiar with him and replaces Tuel.

Seriously. A more honest title would be something like: Gee, I love me some Michael Vick and I would really, really, really rather have HIM on the camp fodder roster so I could buy his Bills Jersey and then piss and moan into eternity when Rex cut him after he totally stank up the preseason.

...But, people all say EJ Manuel can't play and will never be an NFL QB, and you rather keep this over the Bills 1st round draft pick from 2013? Matt Simms is straight garbage. He is nothing more than a camp arm and practice squad player.And, last, but certainly not least...Rex Ryan kept MIKE VICK over him last year. That says enough, right there.

Yes, "EJ Manuel can't play and will never be an NFL QB". Yes, I'll take anyone over EJ.

Here's what you're missing; the Bills are in a 17 year search for a franchise QB. We have drafted QBs in nearly every Round (including a couple 1st Rounders), traded for starting QBs and yanked them off the waiver wire. We're still in the search. Manuel has been given the chance and puked all over it.

Next up!

With Phil Simms bloodlines, he's worth a shot.

so hes a great analyst.

Lets talk about Simms downside factually. I dont know much about him and am no football nut like most of you guys. Is he stupid? can he read? or does he get all squishy when the pressure is coming.

I would guess he is smart I would guess he really can throw the ball. Why cant he move up the depth chart. Is Rex throwing smoke for Simms. Maybe he has something to develop yet?

i still think its a sort of favor. Until proven otherwise. and of course a 4th arm for running the two field program is a must

Looking forward to training camp to see these guys going nearly full speed.

If Matt Simms was any good and had any chance at being a quality NFL QB, or even a 2nd string, Chan Gailey would have had him in the competition with the Jets. They need a QB as bad as the Bills do, why just let him go if he was any good?

He is no different than Jeff Tuel, except for the fact that he is Rex Ryan's guy from NY. Like Tuel, he was undrafted for a reason. He was not even a starter in college, except for at "El Camino College." (Seriously.)

Against the Dolphin's starters in 2013 (his only extended action), he was 9-18, 79 yards, 1 interception, 1 lost fumble.

His career stats are 4 games, 19-39, 48.7% completion, 195 yards, 1 td, 1 int, 1 lost fumble. (The TD was against the Bills.)

But, people all say EJ Manuel can't play and will never be an NFL QB, and you rather keep this over the Bills 1st round draft pick from 2013? Matt Simms is straight garbage. He is nothing more than a camp arm and practice squad player.

And, last, but certainly not least...Rex Ryan kept MIKE VICK over him last year. That says enough, right there.

You can't fix Stupid - to quote a famous standup

Yes, "EJ Manuel can't play and will never be an NFL QB". Yes, I'll take anyone over EJ.

Here's what you're missing; the Bills are in a 17 year search for a franchise QB. We have drafted QBs in nearly every Round (including a couple 1st Rounders), traded for starting QBs and yanked them off the waiver wire. We're still in the search. Manuel has been given the chance and puked all over it.

Next up!

so you switch QB's every season or 2 until some phenom pops up and wins a SB?

you'd be waiting another 20 years.

IMO Manuel was been given the chance and the idiot HC puked all over it.

HC DM - Lets implement a fast paced no huddle offense for a QB that needs some polishing, which the HC abandoned when EJ got injured by the Brownie taking him out at the knee and when Thad was in the HC went to a huddled O.

Then EJ returned and they went no huddle again, until another injury 3 or 3 weeks later.

Then the HC went back to a "simplified" play calling for the rest of the season for ALL QB's

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Sadly, Simms is not clearly worse that whoever the hell our back up looks to be...and our back up is not clearly worse than whoever the hell our starter is.

In ordinary times I would agree that there is no point to Simms.

We live in extraordinary times.

This is the truth. Simms is actually on par with tt and ej. Cassell may be a bit better than simms but not by much. I hope simms wins the starting job

better arm than Tuel that's it - upgrade position all the time even if you replace a guy who's not going to play with another guy who's not going to play who's 3% better.

this. and with QBs you do the swap now before you get into serious OTAs and camp. who knows who will come out of camp on the roster. maybe someone wants EJ, maybe someone gets hurt.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Next up!

Well, if EJ Manuel can't play, neither can Simms. They are both gabage. Whaley has yet to draft a QB he can call his own.

And if Matt Simms is the QB that is "next up," this team might go 4-12.

You can't fix Stupid - to quote a famous standup

Yes, I am stupid because I have an opinion and it differs from yours...I just don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Let me know who is left on your Matt Simms Bandwagon come August.

EDIT: Still waiting to hear a legitimate reason why a team as QB-needy as the Bills, let this QB walk for nothing?

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale