Forget the stat line. Who looked better EJ or TT?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's worthwhile to look at highlight reels.

I find it much more revealing to look at every throw of every game that you can.

Here's what's available in that regard for EJ:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ej-manuel/

Unfortunately there just isn't this breath of video available on Taylor. Not sure why, but my guess would be it's because he simply wasn't a very highly-touted prospect coming out of VT.

If someone finds an extensive video of Taylor (like the EJ videos above, where you can watch every single throw from a bunch of games), then I'll be happy to do the legwork and make a comparison.

I honestly dont get the "Meh" with Castle.....that ball was thrown perfectly on a comeback route......textbook....right where the receiver could get it and and space before the sideline to turn the ball upfield for additonal yards.......

I dont really have a dog in this QB fight anymore because there things I like and dont like about all these guys.....

I honestly dont get the "Meh" with Castle.....that ball was thrown perfectly on a comeback route......textbook....right where the receiver could get it and and space before the sideline to turn the ball upfield for additonal yards.......

I dont really have a dog in this QB fight anymore because there things I like and dont like about all these guys.....

To me, that's why it's funny. I don't think it reflects his abilities, but it seems to reflect his personality.

To me, that's why it's funny. I don't think it reflects his abilities, but it seems to reflect his personality.

I think it reflects his 10 year career and especially the last 4 years and 30 games where he put up 30 TDs and 34 INTS. That is pretty "meh"

TT- College highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHJTeM4S3I

EJ College highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkxbQ-G1-ok

What do you think? I have my opinion (not agenda) after looking at both sides of this coin.

IMO. TT.

I think if we're just comparing these two particular highlight videos, EJ looks better. But, I've seen other Tyrod highlight vids and he has an intriguing skill set. Like other posters have already said, we need more NFL tape of both these guys to even make an argument either way. It doesn't much matter at this point what their weaknesses were years ago and against college players, it matters how much they've improved, and by all accounts both are extremely hard workers who are relentless in their pursuit to be great QBs.

I don't think EJ gets enough credit for how hard he is to take down. He moves in the pocket pretty well and has a good sense of when and where pressure is coming from. He's also big and strong, and after adding 10lbs of muscle this offseason will be even tougher. He showed good ability and placement on most of those throws. Some caused his receivers to slow up and reduced YAC. What I see in that video is a solid prospect who obviously needed to improve and would require a few pro years at least. I still like him.

Tyrod has that electric Mike Vick ability to run circles around people to extend plays. That's something very very few people have ever had in the NFL at that position. Kaep is crazy fast but Tyrod is insanely quick with his movements, like Vick. He also throws a solid ball and maybe had a bit better sense with leading his receivers in college than EJ. If Tyrod learned from Flacco and improved, he could be our Russell Wilson. He did take some big hits in that video, so I hope he has learned to avoid that.

Both guys are solid prospects and I'm really excited to see their battle come training camp. I'd be shocked if we don't keep all 3 for the whole season also. Even if EJ or Tyrod loses in training camp, they're still young and could get better.

I like both guys.

I think it reflects his 10 year career and especially the last 4 years and 30 games where he put up 30 TDs and 34 INTS. That is pretty "meh"

OK......so

Did you bother to look at his games with the vikings before he got hurt last year?

If you can get past the fact that he is not a "Franchise QB" there is still a lot to like in his game.

Like I said in another thread, the team is better off if the starter is either Taylor or Manuel and whichever it is has succes. Nothing against Cassel, but if he starts that means back to square one next off season.

Unfortunately there just isn't this breath of video available on Taylor. Not sure why, but my guess would be it's because he simply wasn't a very highly-touted prospect coming out of VT.

If someone finds an extensive video of Taylor (like the EJ videos above, where you can watch every single throw from a bunch of games), then I'll be happy to do the legwork and make a comparison.

The footage was not as widely available back in 2009. Youtube was really starting to blow up in terms of content.

He is, I've met him twice and always found him to be a good dude. Which is another reason the name makes me laugh. I'm just messed in the head more than likely.

Lol no the Meh Cassell thing is funny, but hats off to the guy for carving out a 10 year career in the league at the hardest position after being a 7th round pick. I had a signed football by him like 5 years ago but lost it. Actually it was stolen. Didn't care at the time but now that he's a Bill I'm kind of pissed.

Castle?

Whatever happened to Chas. Rhinegold?

So Tyrod throws at buckets and EJ/Cassel throw at football players? :P

If that bucket had hands that would totally have been a catch!

Like I said in another thread, the team is better off if the starter is either Taylor or Manuel and whichever it is has succes. Nothing against Cassel, but if he starts that means back to square one next off season.

Chris I think no matter what happens that might be a given.....

I FIRMLY believe our 1st rounder (even if we have to trade up) goes to a QB this next draft.......unless one of these guys just plays so well that it no longer makes sense to do it.

OK......so

Did you bother to look at his games with the vikings before he got hurt last year?

If you can get past the fact that he is not a "Franchise QB" there is still a lot to like in his game.

He followed that up with 4 ints against the Pats. That's who he is and why no team is happy starting him. Great backup though.

And I'll go with the guy who was drafted higher looking better. You clearly do have an agenda because you seem to bashEJ in every post.

I want EJ to start because I think he has the best NFL qb skill set. I worry about Taylor because he seems like a less version of Vick. We'll see.

He followed that up with 4 ints against the Pats. That's who he is and why no team is happy starting him. Great backup though.

And I'll go with the guy who was drafted higher looking better. You clearly do have an agenda because you seem to bashEJ in every post.

I want EJ to start because I think he has the best NFL qb skill set. I worry about Taylor because he seems like a less version of Vick. We'll see.

First.....get over yourself and go back and look at my previous posts before you make a assumption about me....you wont look so foolish if you do that.......you will see that I have firmly been in the EJ Manuel camp.....

Second......qbs have bad games.......and a qb who is not a "franchise qb" is going to have more of them

Christ....sometimes

First.....get over yourself and go back and look at my previous posts before you make a assumption about me....you wont look so foolish if you do that.......you will see that I have firmly been in the EJ Manuel camp.....

Second......qbs have bad games.......and a qb who is not a "franchise qb" is going to have more of them

Christ....sometimes

Sometimes? How about always and forever and omnipresent, heretic!

I am gonna just say it

I worry about run first QBs because they always seem to get hurt.

Now.....If Tyrod Taylor can be one of those "I will run when I HAVE to" QBs that can take advantage of all this deep speed receiving core we now have......I have no problem giving him a shot

Ya, Russell Wilson always on the sidelines.

Ya, Russell Wilson always on the sidelines.

Herb...I am sure that Roman is getting visions of Russel WIlson when he looks at Taylor because they have similar skill set....

I am just talking about overall.....Cam.....hurt.....Dog Killer....always hurt.....Thad Lewis tryed to be a runner and almost got his body broke doing it.

You can have all the skill in the world.....but if your not on the field it wont matter...I would like to see a QB that the THREAT of him taking off actually slows down a pass rush because they are trying to contain him......and then having the ability to make those throws from the pocket for taking that approach on defense.

Complete game. 2009 Virginia Tech – Nebraska - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3TBYKjSbU The Virginia Tech Hokies and QB Tyrod Taylor pull out an improbable 16-15 win with a late TD score against Ndamukong Suh and Nebraska.

Not a huge endorsement for TT but it was 2009. Last drive down 5 with a minute and a half and no time outs. Came away with win. Budding superstar. Now fast forward 6 years and . . . . story yet to be written.

Complete game. 2009 Virginia Tech – Nebraska - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3TBYKjSbU The Virginia Tech Hokies and QB Tyrod Taylor pull out an improbable 16-15 win with a late TD score against Ndamukong Suh and Nebraska.

Not a huge endorsement for TT but it was 2009. Last drive down 5 with a minute and a half and no time outs. Came away with win. Budding superstar. Now fast forward 6 years and . . . . story yet to be written.

linky no worky

OK......so

All his Vikings ganmes were included in his last 30 games.

Last year: 58% completion rate, 6 yds/attempt, 3 TDS 4INTS

You don't like his personality? Obviously you haven't seen this.

:lol: I posted that when they first signed him and love me some Kenny P. I don't dislike his personality at all, but watching that video you can see how he could embrace the nickname and make it pretty funny if he wanted.

Christ....sometimes

My fault. I meant the original poster. I know you don't care.

Totally my bad. Your hissy fit was well warranted. :)

:lol: I posted that when they first signed him and love me some Kenny P. I don't dislike his personality at all, but watching that video you can see how he could embrace the nickname and make it pretty funny if he wanted.

:thumbsup: