Chris Williams also not attending workouts at OBD

a simple "im not addressing it" kind of answer would have made more sense than "i dont even know the guy hes never talked to me" type of answer in most cases like that. the basic dont answer a question (or in this case give an answer that you know will reflect on the other guy) that you havent sought the answer to yourself.

not a huge deal. just a little something that stuck out.

Or it could be Whaley greasing the skids for the injury settlement. Hard to believe Rex didn't know that CW was still resting his back from surgery, if that were really the case. It's very likely CW hasn't contacted the team at all until this week, and then told them that he's out because he's resting his back.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley told me -- and it's included in the updated version of the story I just filed -- that the Bills medical staff have been monitoring Chris WIlliams' progress from afar, and will get a chance to evaluate him next week.

jw

Thanks for the update, John! And as always, thanks for posting.

I get the impression the new coaching staff was not sold on Williams. Richie was penciled in as a starter immediately over Chris. He is scheduled to make $3.35 mil this year which is twice as much as Incognito and Jon Miller put together. Would it make sense to keep him on roster if he is not going to start, or release him and free up $2mil.

Regardless of whether he is still recovering from his back surgery, I find it hard for anyone who is trying to positively impress a new coaching staff to not even be in contact or show up. There is a lot of classroom stuff that Kromer and Roman have emphasized that Williams could benefit from being in the building. To not even be in contact with the coaches to me is not a smart move.

Personally, I think Williams sees a cut in salary coming with Miller in the fold now and Kouandjio coming along nicely. Urbik had his salary cut and he was destined to be a backup. Williams was expected to be a starter and was being paid more. It wouldn't surprise me if Whaley told his agent before he steps onto the field he wants to lower his cap number, which Williams is balking at.

Bottom line, this all comes across as Williams either hiding a more serious injury or he sees the writing on the wall. He has been a nightmare since he signed, and eyes have rolled ever since the Bills paid him an obscene amount of money for a rather mediocre career that has seen him more on the injury list than anything else. A season later, and nothing has changed.

It will soon come to a head, and I think he'll more than likely take an injury settlement and sit the year out to get "healthy" so he can continue to be mediocre.

Regardless of whether he is still recovering from his back surgery, I find it hard for anyone who is trying to positively impress a new coaching staff to not even be in contact or show up. There is a lot of classroom stuff that Kromer and Roman have emphasized that Williams could benefit from being in the building. To not even be in contact with the coaches to me is not a smart move.

sigh. who's to say he hasn't had contact with Kromer and Roman. Whaley said the Bills have been in contact with Williams, and just because it has not been Rex, well ... sigh.

jw

sigh. who's to say he hasn't had contact with Kromer and Roman. Whaley said the Bills have been in contact with Williams, and just because it has not been Rex, well ... sigh.

jw

thats kind of the frustration i was mentioning with rexs comment, even if technically accurate. it helps create ill will against the guy without sharing any meaningful info. lose-lose if you ask me.

not a big deal...

jw

John, I tend to believe Rex thinks about what he says. His words about Chris Williams so far have done nothing but lead fans to believe CW is AWOL.

Or it could be Whaley greasing the skids for the injury settlement. Hard to believe Rex didn't know that CW was still resting his back from surgery, if that were really the case. It's very likely CW hasn't contacted the team at all until this week, and then told them that he's out because he's resting his back.

Well, there's a lot that I don't understand about the NFL rules around non-football-injury/physically unable to perform/IR BUT.... I don't think an injury settlement applies here.

I think an injury settlement only applies during the regular season that the player is IR'd. The following season, until the player plays a snap, I think he can be cut. I don't think players are obligated to carry an injured player for several seasons.

That said, it's possible that part of all this is Williams can get some injections and make it through mandatory OTA then start training camp...at that point, they can't put him on PUP and depending upon his injury I think they might have to pay him or reach an injury settlement.

Again, please note that there's a lot I don't understand about the new NFL rules with the waived/injured designation and PUP vs IR/eligible to return and so forth.

John, I tend to believe Rex thinks about what he says. His words about Chris Williams so far have done nothing but lead fans to believe CW is AWOL.

Let me re-phrase my comments.

Rex made it clear that he hadn't spoken with him. When Williams name came up with Kromer he simply said "Chris Williams isn't here" and moved on to another player. Whatever communication, if any, is obviously not satisfactory in Rex's or Aaron's mind.

My point was it's obvious that the coaching staff is disappointed in Chris Williams not being present or being involved in learning the new system. Whether it's from afar or in the building, none of the coaches have stuck up for Chris and said anything like "Weve been in contact and Chris is doing everything he can to be out there healthy." Had that message been sent out, I would have a different point of view.

Edited by dezertbill

Let me re-phrase my comments.

Rex made it clear that he hadn't spoken with him. When Williams name came up with Kromer he simply said "Chris Williams isn't here" and moved on to another player. Whatever communication, if any, is obviously not satisfactory in Rex's or Aaron's mind.

My point was it's obvious that the coaching staff is disappointed in Chris Williams not being present or being involved in learning the new system. Whether it's from afar or in the building, none of the coaches have stuck up for Chris and said anything like "Weve been in contact and Chris is doing everything he can to be out there healthy." Had that message been sent out, I would have a different point of view.

The dude is an interior lineman - I was as critical as any during the signing but let's also not act like he's a qb staying away. After being a guard for 3 different teams he should be pretty close to plug and play as long as the guys are getting clear and consistent messages on assignment. There's only so much that you are changing in assignments and verbiage and if he can't pick it up in camp and with the playbook now there's only so much sitting in the corner today would've done.

a simple "im not addressing it" kind of answer would have made more sense than "i dont even know the guy hes never talked to me" type of answer in most cases like that. the basic dont answer a question (or in this case give an answer that you know will reflect on the other guy) that you havent sought the answer to yourself.

not a huge deal. just a little something that stuck out.

it sure did!

I feel like someone has been predicting this for months...

Like, ahem, everyone ?

: )

and to Yolo's point. i dont think the Bills were counting on him. which was wise

Cogs Miller Urbik

Edited by 3rdand12

jw

Sigh all you want but his absence speaks volumes about character and commitment. Other players are rehabbing from injuries but have been in town and participating to the extent they can. At the very least, meeting new teammates and coaches shows commitment. Whether he spoke to any Bills represnetatives or not is beside the point.

Sigh all you want but his absence speaks volumes about character and commitment. Other players are rehabbing from injuries but have been in town and participating to the extent they can. At the very least, meeting new teammates and coaches shows commitment. Whether he spoke to any Bills represnetatives or not is beside the point.

I really dont see it as a big deal.....

If we were counting on him....then I would worry. The X factor here is John Miller......if he is as the bills are advertising them Williams is doing the bills a favor by not being here.......it would take reps away from John Miller.

I really dont see it as a big deal.....

If we were counting on him....then I would worry. The X factor here is John Miller......if he is as the bills are advertising them Williams is doing the bills a favor by not being here.......it would take reps away from John Miller.

If we got a day one quality G starter in Miller, I would pack C Dubs' bags myself.

jw

Fair point, John, then there's this: given the comments Rex made about "haven't heard from him", rather than "he had a procedure, our medical staff is following him"....is it that Rex isn't fully on top of what's going on? or is he playing word-and-mind games with us/Williams? Given that Williams is one of the top-15 salary cap players on the team, as well as competing for a spot on one of the teams most critical units, Rex really ought to be in the know. If he's not, given the above, that's a problem. If he's playing word games with the press....well...I have to think about that, my first reaction is distaste.

And yet Whaley says different. And how can Williams be AWOL when these sessions are voluntary.

jw

Fair point, John, then there's this: given the comments Rex made about "haven't heard from him", rather than "he had a procedure, our medical staff is following him"....is it that Rex isn't fully on top of what's going on? or is he playing word-and-mind games with us/Williams? Given that Williams is one of the top-15 salary cap players on the team, as well as competing for a spot on one of the teams most critical units, Rex really ought to be in the know. If he's not, given the above, that's a problem. If he's playing word games with the press....well...I have to think about that, my first reaction is distaste.

i think people are attempting to read far more into Rex's comments than intended.

Rex did announce at start of voluntary workouts that Chris Williams was coming off back surgery. He did later say that he's not talked to Chris Williams. He then, I believe, reminded everyone that these are voluntary sessions. He failed to mention that Williams was still recovering from back surgery.

Doug Whaley clarified that Williams has been absent because he's been recovering from back surgery, and has been in contact with the trainers, and will report for the mandatory camp next week.

Has Williams been a disappointment since being signed last year? Yes.

Is it possible he may be cut as a result of the time missed? Sure.

Is it possible he may open camp on the physically unable ... list? Sure.

Could he report to camp next week and, upon being examined, be cleared for contact for start of camp? Yes.

As for what the definitve answers to anything is at this point: We'll see.

jw

And yet Whaley says different. And how can Williams be AWOL when these sessions are voluntary.

jw

i think people are attempting to read far more into Rex's comments than intended.

Rex did announce at start of voluntary workouts that Chris Williams was coming off back surgery. He did later say that he's not talked to Chris Williams. He then, I believe, reminded everyone that these are voluntary sessions. He failed to mention that Williams was still recovering from back surgery.

Doug Whaley clarified that Williams has been absent because he's been recovering from back surgery, and has been in contact with the trainers, and will report for the mandatory camp next week.

Could he report to camp next week and, upon being examined, be cleared for contact for start of camp? Yes.

jw

My issue with this version of events is that its all true and its boring. Why can't you jazz it up, make it sexy? Williams demanding a trade, a Whaley-Ryan rift, Incognito is bullying Williams, something. Your job is entertainment. Go all Daily Mail on this story.

My issue with this version of events is that its all true and its boring. Why can't you jazz it up, make it sexy? Williams demanding a trade, a Whaley-Ryan rift, Incognito is bullying Williams, something. Your job is entertainment. Go all Daily Mail on this story.

between Rex, McCoy, Incognito and Percy, I think there'll be enough to keep us all entertained throughout the year. let's hold some of the Daily Mail stuff in reserve until it matters.

jw

Hi John!

We are in need on some Mathis to Bills rumors. Please help!!!

CBF

have asked, and not received any word.

John

How is Darby lookin? From the limited info were getting he sounds like a very good second round pick!

OK for a rookie right now. from my experience, it's difficult to judge CBs, particularly rookies, until you see how they respond and react in actual competition. i have rarely done a story about a rookie DB until after the second preseason game.

jw

have asked, and not received any word.

OK for a rookie right now. from my experience, it's difficult to judge CBs, particularly rookies, until you see how they respond and react in actual competition. i have rarely done a story about a rookie DB until after the second preseason game.

jw

ej sucks. But how bad does he suck? What about Cassel? He sucks, too. How bad does he suck? Taylor. Sucks. How bad does he suck?

Please, just tell us we are doomed! :D

Fair enough, John. Just to point out that from your account above, many of your fellow media are participating/evoking the "reading too much" by omitting the "Rex announced..back surgery" and the "voluntary" reminder in their Williams coverage

Fair enough, John. Just to point out that from your account above, many of your fellow media are participating/evoking the "reading too much" by omitting the "Rex announced..back surgery" and the "voluntary" reminder in their Williams coverage

see, i never caught those parts of the quotes from the twitter craziness. definitely makes more sense with the extra context

jw

jw

There's been a very strident tone to Rex's comments, and your peers also reported that Ryan hasn't been pleased with Williams. That's why it's easy for people to surmise he's been dogging it this spring & summer. He's not the only player who's had a surgical procedure, yet he's the only one absent. We know that the workouts are voluntary, but professionally it's not going to help a player on the wrong side of the bubble ingratiate himself to a totally new coaching staff.

There's been a very strident tone to Rex's comments, and your peers also reported that Ryan hasn't been pleased with Williams. That's why it's easy for people to surmise he's been dogging it this spring & summer. He's not the only player who's had a surgical procedure, yet he's the only one absent. We know that the workouts are voluntary, but professionally it's not going to help a player on the wrong side of the bubble ingratiate himself to a totally new coaching staff.

it's easy to read into Rex's comments as saying he's not pleased with Williams, especially without the context of not knowing he's still recuperating from back surgery.

with that information, it's, perhaps, more fair to surmise, he's unhappy that Williams hasn't had a chance to practice because he's still recuperating from back surgery.

jw

it's easy to read into Rex's comments as saying he's not pleased with Williams, especially without the context of not knowing he's still recuperating from back surgery.

with that information, it's, perhaps, more fair to surmise, he's unhappy that Williams hasn't had a chance to practice because he's still recuperating from back surgery.

jw

This coach is never one to mince words, and this doesn't sound like he's upset at the latter:

“I don’t know if he’s going to be planning on coming back or what; I haven’t seen him,” Ryan said. “I haven’t talked to him, I haven’t seen him. I don’t even know what he looks like. I know these are voluntary type things, so that’s fine. I don’t know if he’s better than all of the rest of these guys, because all the rest of them are here.”

Moreover, if CW's back is in good enough condition to make it to the mandatory minicamp next week, he's certainly in good physical condition to show up and say hello to the man who will be cutting him next month.

This coach is never one to mince words, and this doesn't sound like he's upset at the latter:

“I don’t know if he’s going to be planning on coming back or what; I haven’t seen him,” Ryan said. “I haven’t talked to him, I haven’t seen him. I don’t even know what he looks like. I know these are voluntary type things, so that’s fine. I don’t know if he’s better than all of the rest of these guys, because all the rest of them are here.”

Moreover, if CW's back is in good enough condition to make it to the mandatory minicamp next week, he's certainly in good physical condition to show up and say hello to the man who will be cutting him next month.

i read the quotes differently in light of the context. especially the first part: "I don't know if he's planning on coming back."

as for the latter, there's no sense that Williams back will be in good enough condition. Whaley said Williams will report for mandatory minicamp where team medical staff will evaluate him to determine where the back is. there is no sense that he will practice.

jw

i read the quotes differently in light of the context. especially the first part: "I don't know if he's planning on coming back."

as for the latter, there's no sense that Williams back will be in good enough condition. Whaley said Williams will report for mandatory minicamp where team medical staff will evaluate him to determine where the back is. there is no sense that he will practice.

jw

I think we're arguing technicalities. There's little expectation that CW would be practicing if his back wouldn't allow it. But reading in between the lines of Rex's comments, CW hasn't been in touch at all regarding the playbook or learning the new offense. That's loser behavior for an underperformer barely holding on to a roster spot.

It's similar to Lynn's comments about Bryce earlier in the season, how the guy was already weeks behind everyone else.

Until Whaley (recently ( correct me if needed) mentioned his contact it was crapshoot for Fans. I did mention this could be the case, by only listening to Rex's specific wording. I still think he is quite concise with his choices .

it just makes sense that somebody knew something.

No way the guy just quits on the team in that manner

I think we're arguing technicalities. There's little expectation that CW would be practicing if his back wouldn't allow it. But reading in between the lines of Rex's comments, CW hasn't been in touch at all regarding the playbook or learning the new offense. That's loser behavior for an underperformer barely holding on to a roster spot.

It's similar to Lynn's comments about Bryce earlier in the season, how the guy was already weeks behind everyone else.

This is where when Whaley said he had been in contact.

We do not know whether he has not been in his play book. and thats bold assumption. If whaley had never said anything and we went on just Rex's quotes. we would think Williams had quit already. Thats what i thought. But i have changed my mind completely. Guys back is shot.

he is done. but he was not being a dink.

The Bills might be ok with Richie and Miller.

and Mathis ?

the answer is yes.

its time for the Bills to recoup whatever money they can.