Deflate-gate investigation complete

I hate Brady and the Pats* as much as anyone, but if I'm looking at this objectively I think the outrage is a bit overblown (although such is the nature of outrage). If the Bills got caught doing this I'd think it was cheap, but I doubt I'd think lengthy suspensions are in order.

They say if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. I know it's said somewhat tongue in cheek, but there's an element of truth to it too. Obviously there's a line somewhere between minor pine tar on a baseball type stuff and serious cheating like pulling a Tonya Harding. Maybe this crosses that line, but I feel like it's closer to pine tar than paying off the refs.

I would think "trying" is when they changed the offense to line up ineligible receivers in a different place to confuse the defense.

Cheating is deflating a ball after it has been inspected by the officials to below regulation pressures.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much the de facto cheating; it's more (IMO) the bold-faced lying about it. That, combined with the sheer number of Patriots' cheating scandals over the years (Rodney Harrison's HGH dealing, spying on other teams, cutting off other team's helmet communication), combined with the belligerence with which they responded to this investigation, is why I think the NFL is going to hammer them.

Yes. The coverup is actually worse than the cheating.

apparently he thinks we are all stupid

I think his statement is making it worse for Tom Brady. Now he's the victim? The NFL and the investigators purposely tried to come up with some story? Why? When has the NFL ever had a problem with their golden child.

Someone should not have given that agent a box to stand on.

Bellichick said that the Patriots asks the refs to have the balls set at the lowest PSI because Tom likes them lower. So if Brady had that two marroons lower them any amount, it automatically intentionally makes them illegal by his design, and he would know what they were going in.

I think his statement is making it worse for Tom Brady. Now he's the victim? The NFL and the investigators purposely tried to come up with some story? Why? When has the NFL ever had a problem with their golden child.

Someone should not have given that agent a box to stand on.

the statements made by the agent and tommys daddy look ridiculous and make him appear even more guilty

the statements made by the agent and tommys daddy look ridiculous and make him appear even more guilty

Dad's gonna say what Dad's gonna say, but he obviously doesn't understand the difference between a criminal court case and an Integrity of the Game Investigation.

Am I reading this right? Is Brady's agent really implying that cheating is a condoned part of pro football culture and "football people" would have looked at the evidence in a different context??? :wallbash:

"It is a sad day for the league as it has abdicated the resolution of football-specific issues to people who don't understand the context or culture of the sport."

http://www.chatsports.com/top-news/a/Bradys-agent-Report-is-terrible-disappointment-1-11412058

Preaching to the choir - but how can people say there is no evidence that Tom Brady wanted the balls to below the leagues threshold of 12.5 -13.5 lbs?

Had Brady simply said, "I like my balls soft", the equipment manager would have inflated them to the league minimum and the story ends. Instead the balls were inflated to the league minimum, tested and then altered after said test. Subsequently the self proclaimed "Deflator" received items of value from Tom Brady. Does Tom routinely provide shoes, autographs and merchandise to other staff members for simply doing their jobs?

Had the equipment manager underinflated the balls prior to the league testing them and the league official didn't catch it - that's gamesmanship. Deflating them after they've been approved is cheating, no different than a pitcher scuffing a baseball.

Edited by DasNootz

Brady's main goal I'm sure was the Super Bowl. Anything that would've jeopardized his chances at playing or causing more of a distraction was probably all he cared about. How many more chances is a 38 year-old QB gonna get at winning a Super Bowl? So he had a press conference and lied his teeth off to ensure that he'd play in the Super Bowl. Even if he gets banned for a year, it will have been worth it. That's why NFL has to come down hard.

the sample quote i gave wouldve given no teeth to suspending him for the super bowl. that was my entire point.

If it comes out the Pats* did this all season, the NFL should vacate the Super Bowl win. No champion in 2015.

Not that I don't agree but very unlikely. Unless there is a way to link it back to BB and the rest of the organization I think they are going to focus the punishment on the 3 individuals and not the "team".

Is it common practice by teams to alter the PSI after a ball has been inspected and approved by the officials? I'd like a link to data supporting that.

there have been a few random quotes here and there from qbs. i dont know if they would satisfy your desire for a link to data, but i think they raise a suspicion that this probably isnt a situation where brady is the only guy to ever do it.

Is anyone else really enjoying the all out attack waged on the Pats? This is just so great. I have been trolling every Pats fan I know and they are SO defensive. This is just great.

Doing the same. It's fun.

Is anyone else really enjoying the all out attack waged on the Pats? This is just so great. I have been trolling every Pats fan I know and they are SO defensive. This is just great.

My favorite part, by far, are the text messages between the two marrones...comedy gold.