Deflate-gate investigation complete

I'm starting to come around to the idea that there will be no suspension for Brady. I hate myself for it.

Seeing as there is no evidence of Brady telling them to deflate the balls below the legal limit it's an easy defense for him to now say, "Ok, ok I did ask them to take some air out of the balls but I never asked them to make them below 12.5 PSI" So now all they have on Brady is that he lied and didn't cooperate with the investigation, he gets a fine.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is kraft's excuse, it's pretty poor. In a lot of internal and criminal investigations, key witnesses are interviewed sometimes dozens of times.

I don't know who was advising him, but they blew it-- didn't they know the risk of poor optics and suggestion of lack of cooperation?

it was an investigation into balls being underinflated. if Plenz is right that it had been numerous interviews; as an employer i would also at some point say enough was enough. whether that was 3 or 5 or 10 - i dont know, but to act like the guy should be subject to unlimited interviewing for fear of "bad optics" (seriously, when did bad optics become the catchphrase here?) i think is silly too.

Anyone listen to Mike & Mike this morning? If bodies were found buried in Tom Brady's backyard, Mike & Mike would blame the bodies for fitting in the ground. They defend Brady at all cost. It's gross.

golic seemed, for the most part, not unreasonable in the 10 minutes i saw. but i have more or less agreed with his take from the get go.

i heard him talking about legacies and how it should effect bradys and he was talking about rice using stick em as a comp point that people generally havent freaked out about but is a GOAT that was bending the rules...

Edited by NoSaint

I'm starting to come around to the idea that there will be no suspension for Brady. I hate myself for it.

Seeing as there is no evidence of Brady telling them to deflate the balls below the legal limit it's an easy defense for him to now say, "Ok, ok I did ask them to take some air out of the balls but I never asked them to make them below 12.5 PSI" So now all they have on Brady is that he lied and didn't cooperate with the investigation, he gets a fine.

Not sure about that Wayne.

Admittedly, I haven't read the entire report, but it sure appears as though the ball handlers were told specifically to get the pressure lower and lower (hence "this next one's gonna be a f**king balloon" and "F Tom").

Moreover, Brady lied. He flat out said that he'd never even heard of McNally, yet there's documentation in the report that clearly indicates they'd been in communication about the preparation of the balls. The dog and pony show that Brady, Belichik, and Kraft put on about there being no tampering (with all its righteous indignation, belligerence, and incredulity) and Brady knowing nothing about it is what's going to come home to roost IMO.

Brady was the ring-leader in ANOTHER Patriots cheating scandal, one that involved tampering with the game's most critical piece of equipment. Then, when questioned directly by the NFL, he lied.

He's going to get something.

Brady and his lawyers were give the option of producing the phone log/texts themselves without turning the phone over. He refused. I wonder why? Remember that we know he did reach out to the two schlubs (repeatedly) after the story broke--we know that from them. His refusal alone should be worth 8 games off.

On the interview point, as new evidence surfaces investigators often need to go back and talk again to witnesses--common practice. Here interestingly they wanted to talk to McNally about some newly discovered texts from Brady. See a pattern here?

You quote Kraft's response statement as if it were gospel. Simple question--have you read any of the report? If not, why not? The beauty of the Internet age is that it's all there to see for those who want to see it.

Like I said, I had not read how they could accomplish only keeping texts/ mails that pertain to this matter only ...and I understand not turning over the phone.

And hell no I have not read all 200+ pages, I read the summary, the first few pages through like page 10. God bless if you read all 200 pages.

again, I think Brady guilty as hell. But to only acknowledge one side sounds like crazy Pats fan still sticking to the science defense.

Edited by plenzmd1

Not sure about that Wayne.

Admittedly, I haven't read the entire report, but it sure appears as though the ball handlers were told specifically to get the pressure lower and lower (hence "this next one's gonna be a f**king balloon" and "F Tom").

Moreover, Brady lied. He flat out said that he'd never even heard of McNally, yet there's documentation in the report that clearly indicates they'd been in communication about the preparation of the balls. The dog and pony show that Brady, Belichik, and Kraft put on about there being no tampering (with all its righteous indignation, belligerence, and incredulity) and Brady knowing nothing about it is what's going to come home to roost IMO.

Brady was the ring-leader in ANOTHER Patriots cheating scandal, one that involved tampering with the game's most critical piece of equipment. Then, when questioned directly by the NFL, he lied.

He's going to get something.

I think he'll definitely get something but it'll be more for the not cooperating and lying. Brett Favre got a fine for not handing over his phone. It could be something closer to that. I pray that it's a suspension.

golic seemed, for the most part, not unreasonable in the 10 minutes i saw. but i have more or less agreed with his take from the get go.

i heard him talking about legacies and how it should effect bradys and he was talking about rice using stick em as a comp point that people generally havent freaked out about but is a GOAT that was bending the rules...

I don't know if anyone actually mentioned it to them, but a big part in why people will view this one as worse than Rice is because it impacts every single offensive play for the Patriots. Rice's stick 'um doesn't help the team one bit on any of that long list of plays where the ball goes to someone else.

I think he'll definitely get something but it'll be more for the not cooperating and lying. Brett Favre got a fine for not handing over his phone. It could be something closer to that. I pray that it's a suspension.

Ah...gotcha. Misunderstood your post.

I don't know if anyone actually mentioned it to them, but a big part in why people will view this one as worse than Rice is because it impacts every single offensive play for the Patriots. Rice's stick 'um doesn't help the team one bit on any of that long list of plays where the ball goes to someone else.

they also talked about a hall of fame lineman that was hit for using vasoline on his arms, along with his teammates - and that it was semicommon to run into in his playing career as another example that effects every play.

Pretty good summary of why Brady will likely miss games:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/suspension-of-tom-brady-seems-unavoidable/

This is the crux of it imo

We’re all now left to wonder how helpful the information from Brady may have been. In a case that lacks a smoking gun, it’s not crazy to think that the smoking gun resides somewhere on Tom Brady’s cell phone.

This was a high profile investigation, being run by a white-shoe NY law firm in which Kraft pledged full cooperation. It's like PR 101 to realize that any non-cooperation could be spun against him and the team. Really foolish decision by the patriots.

or they dont care about "slightly worse optics" like you think they should. PR 101 doesnt mean you MUST just open all the doors and give unlimited access to everything with no end. unless it effects their punishment, i dont think the organization will much care and they knew exactly what it would look like. they do have concerns that are outside "what will i look like to joe in iowa sitting at home halfway following this"

Edited by NoSaint

Ah...gotcha. Misunderstood your post.

Yea I agree with everything you posted, he knew what he was doing. Did he ask them to lower the balls below the limit, which would be the crucial information? Unfortunately there isn't any evidence that he asked these guys to specifically go below 12.5 PSI. And maybe that's why he didn't cooperate because that information exists on his phone. Or maybe it doesn't exist at all.

Although saying all of that, Goodell is quoted as saying "ignorance isn't an excuse" maybe I'm coming back around to he will get a suspension. Maybe it doesn't matter that he didn't specifically ask them to go below 12.5, he kept pushing them to take air out. Doesn't matter that he didn't know the exact amount or how much these guys were taking out.

This is gold. From Pats** land

The Wells Report is "an insult to Tom Brady and the Patriots".

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/wells-report-an-insult-to-tom-brady-and-new-england-patriots

Sooooo why did he cover it up if he was not doing anything wrong? Why did he say he didn't know McNally? Had he just been honest and said "yes, we deflate them, legally. There are guys on staff that are responsible for it. I make sure they are at a certain PSI and ask that they keep them legal."

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sooooo why did he cover it up if he was not doing anything wrong? Why did he say he didn't know McNally? Had he just been honest and said "yes, we deflate them, legally. There are guys on staff that are responsible for it. I make sure they are at a certain PSI and ask that they keep them legal."

ill get on board for THAT pr101 flub. it seems it wouldve been easy to say "we have a few guys. im not close to the process but ive told the crew i like them at the low end of the spectrum and they take care of them - i dont know what happened sunday" wouldve been far more reasonable out of the gate.

ill get on board for THAT pr101 flub. it seems it wouldve been easy to say "we have a few guys. im not close to the process but ive told the crew i like them at the low end of the spectrum and they take care of them - i dont know what happened sunday" wouldve been far more reasonable out of the gate.

Brady's main goal I'm sure was the Super Bowl. Anything that would've jeopardized his chances at playing or causing more of a distraction was probably all he cared about. How many more chances is a 38 year-old QB gonna get at winning a Super Bowl? So he had a press conference and lied his teeth off to ensure that he'd play in the Super Bowl. Even if he gets banned for a year, it will have been worth it. That's why NFL has to come down hard.

@MikeGarafolo: Statement from Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee: "The Wells report, with all due respect, is a significant and (cont) http://t.co/90sQ0ETRXl

This statement is so full of crap it would make a honeywagon jealous.

Calling the ethics of the league into question because they tried to catch you breaking the rules? Gold.